The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » The Shape of Astonishment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dallen
View Profile
New user
Maui, Hawaii
58 Posts

Profile of Dallen
This is one of those tricks I do if I am at someone's house and they have foil. Impromptu, and it gets some pretty good reactions.
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
332 Posts

Profile of ellisd
I also got poor reactions from this but I like the idea of adding it to something else. Smile
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14043 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2003-12-22 07:01, Xia wrote:
Which AoA is this in?
Smile

It's in book three, page 13. (First effect in that book.)
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Tony Ley
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FLorida
46 Posts

Profile of Tony Ley
Lithis-

I was shown this effect while living in California by a friend of Paul's. My brain turned to goo and I immediately understood what kind of a mission Paul is on concerning taking magic a step further.

I've got to agree with Montz's post about people's presentation on this effect. This is NOT for your typical "magical entertainer" that merely struts around like a peacock quacking, "lookit' me! lookit' me!" This effect is for the performer who actually cares about SHARING an impossible moment with a couple of spectator's who are in need of a little rule-cleansing of their world.

You have to BUILD this effect up. Too many magicians jump on an effect without proper BUILD-UP and let that impossible "POP" just go limp. A couple of interesting ways to bring a topic up in conversation that could lead into this effect is to either steer everyone's minds toward headstone rubbings or counterfeiting of bills. The grave rubbing could actually become part of a really cool story if you put some thought into it. During dinner or sometime when you're about to pay for something talk about the new $20s and counterfeiting. Bring up the subject of people counterfeiting coins and how difficult it is. As a magician, it's easy for you to tell the difference between a fake and the real deal...you simply wave your hand.

Maybe talk about spirits in the air who constantly give us "signs."

The point is, and it's been said again and again, "Magicians stop thinking too soon." Don't be afraid to take your time to build an effect up. Don't be afraid to have an effect ready, but never a moment and end up NOT doing the effect.

For those who that don't get the most of this simple (but lethal in the right hands) of an effect and own the Paul Harris books go back and actually read Paul's essay on what he believes the moment of astonishment is! If you haven't read his essay over and over and over, you're doing yourself a disservice to both yourself AND magic.

Tony Ley
scarnecky
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah
330 Posts

Profile of scarnecky
Personally I get great reactions from this effect- so much so I carry a small square of gold foil in my wallet, always ready to create a few delicious chocolate coins..

Scar
state
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of state
My only advice is - Don't go overboard with how hard and how long it takes to make the impression. I usually don't go for more than 5 seconds.

Why? It doesn't take rocket science for someone to figure out that it's not that hard to leave an impression in the foil. It's easy to get caught in this lie.

That way if they go home and get out a piece of foil, play with the coin, there's not an AH HA moment when they can make an impression in about 1 second.

I go to these lengths because many of the people who see my magic see me on an everyday basis, and like to try to figure out how I did it.

In any case, I've found it's not necessary to really play that step up.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I read this thread (now for the first time) with interest, since I worked on this with Paul while editing the AoA trilogy.

After working it out, Paul wanted spectator reaction. It happened that I was scheduled to do walkaround for a wedding reception, so I tried it out.

I used heavy-duty foil (it was all I had in the house) and got excellent reactions from the effect.

It's one of my favorite effects. Give it a try.

Andre
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » The Shape of Astonishment (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL