We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magic or Genii? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I want to subscribe to both, but I can't. If you had to choose, which one & why? I know they are both good, thats why I can't decide.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Since the Kaufman takeover, my choice is Genii.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
John Zander
View Profile
Loyal user
Downey, CA
247 Posts

Profile of John Zander
MAGIC
Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://www.AllMagic.net
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4741 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Tough choice, that’s why I try and subscribe to both.

For years Genii was sort of a West Coast type of mag, stuff on the castle group etc.

It has always been, and still is more of a card man type magazine. Kaufman is doing an okay job, though Swiss needs to go. Smile

Magic is much flashier, more color, a little thicker, and seemingly more open minded.

These thoughts are of course, only my opinion. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Sean-Dylan
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Sean-Dylan
I think that the better choice is Genii. Since Kaufman has taken over, it is superb!

P.S. I hope they never get rid of Jamy Ian Swiss!!!
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4741 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Thanks for contributing Sean, and welcome to the Cafe! Smile

Life is not a problem to be solved...

but a mystery to be lived.
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1876 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Go with Genii. My only gripe with Genii is their review section. It always seems, with rare exception, that they are at least a year behind in product reviews.
I understand things build up on the desk, but if you haven’t gotten to something within 3 months, it should fall to the side for more current items.

Other than that, Genii seems to have a more historical feel to it, a more traditional approach. Plus, you get Kauffman’s great writing and overview.
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I tend to go with Magic, though I like both in some ways. My major reasons for liking Magic are the points Steve mentioned. Still, it is a tough choice. In the end, I'm a stage magician and Magic seems to favour them. What else can I say.

Sable

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4395 Posts

Profile of Paul
Vernononcoins said:

A year behind in product reviews.
I understand things build up on the desk, but if you haven’t gotten to something within 3 months, it should fall to the side for more current items.

Bet you wouldn’t say that if, you’d sent something in for review! Smile

I go for Genii magazine. I stopped Magic some time back.

Paul Hallas.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1876 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
You’re right Paul, I probably wouldn’t. But as a reader I’m just not interested in some incidental item put out a year ago. Magic seems to keep things very current in their product reviews. Beyond that, however, I would stick with Genni
martinkaplan
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
562 Posts

Profile of martinkaplan
I subscribe to both, but if forced to choose I would go with Genii. Under Kaufman the magazine has become a quality product that is always delivered on time. I especially have liked the issues that have focused on a single theme - the Mike Skinner issue as an example.

-Marty
IanB
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby
202 Posts

Profile of IanB
I also subscribe to both and would choose Genii for all the reasons mentioned above.
Eric Starkey
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA
180 Posts

Profile of Eric Starkey
Warning: These are only my opinions.

While MAGIC is a bit thicker and far flashier, I think that GENII is milleniums ahead. Under Richard Kaufmann's direction the magazine comes out way AHEAD of schedule every month (a huge change from the Larson days). I also feel that GENII is more of a thinking man/woman's magazine. There is less "spoon-feeding", better contributors and less useless information to sift through. As for Jamy Ian Swiss, there are few writers that I appreciate more. He is a great thinker and performer.

Both magazine's do have their pluses and minuses. What it really comes down to is personal preference. My suggestion is to buy a few individual issues at your local magic shop over the next few months and decide which is best suited to your taste before committing to a subscription. You have the freedom to choose. Live free or die.

Yours very truly,

Eric Starkey
Joe M. Turner
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta, Georgia
249 Posts

Profile of Joe M. Turner
Quote:
On 2002-01-19 09:33, VernonOnCoins wrote:
Go with Genii. My only gripe with Genii is their review section. It always seems, with rare exception, that they are at least a year behind in product reviews. I understand things build up on the desk, but if you haven’t gotten to something within 3 months, it should fall to the side for more current items.

Other than that, Genii seems to have a more historical feel to it, a more traditional approach. Plus, you get Kauffman’s great writing and overview.

Sometimes I don't like the fact that fairly old items are reviewed in my column. However, magic releases go through phases. Sometimes it's feast, sometimes famine. At times I have more than I can get into a column, and at other times there have been no new submissions of items for review. So you go back to the pile for interesting items that perhaps deserved a mention but got squeezed out of a previous month.

Also, do remember that Mike Close, bless him, writes *all* the reviews for Magic. He has the ability to instantly cut or add something to his column. Genii has split the reviews out among six people. Some videos go to Matt Field, some go to me. I may have gotten a new video that will appear in my next column, but Matt's deadline is up next. At times, Richard has express-mailed a new video to me and asked that I get it in the column which I already sent in... so we cut something and put in the new set. The Jerry Andrus videos are an example of this -- and we beat Magic to print with that review, among others. I also reviewed the Burger tapes before they were released and we were right on time with that. So sometimes it works out great, and sometimes it's just a function of deadlines.

Finally, now that Genii is running so smoothly, my columns have a very early deadline. My April column was sent in over a week ago. So a great video may come out in February or March, and not appear in my April column because it's already at the printers.

Currently, I am COMPLETELY out of new video material. Some new items have been released, but not all of them have been sent in to Genii (or directly to me) for review. Not everybody wants their items reviewed.

Anyway, I like Magic, and I subscribe to it and Genii, as well as several other magic magazines. Magic is "slicker" than Genii, but I think Genii is a more literary magazine. There is definitely a place for both in the marketplace.

JMT
Regards,
Joe M. Turner
[email]jmt@turnermagic.com[/email]
www.turnermagic.com
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1030 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
I like both magazines (I subscribe to several). I think Richard Kaufman has done a tremendous job with Genii. I find their articles more interesting to me.

That's not to say that Magic is bad, but if I had to choose between the 2, I would pick Genii. Fortunately I am able to enjoy both magazines so that's not a problem.

By the way, I am also not a big fan of Jamy Ian Swiss either.
ME
Mya Angel
View Profile
Special Assistant
California
1397 Posts

Profile of Mya Angel
JMT

So okay, when you're sitting around waiting, you can always do a review on the Cafe. Smile

:bwink:

Mya Smile
There is nothing that remains so constant as change. Don't end up like concrete, all mixed up and permanently set. Smile

He who slings mud will surely lose ground.
lchemist
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of lchemist
I agree with most people, Genii is far superior. Anything written by Jamy Ian Swiss is of superb quality, his articles and reviews are the first thing I read, even if you vehemently disagree with him, he will make you think.
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
584 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Greetings,

Although I subscribe to both, without question, my vote would go to Genii. Magic (in my opinion) is more fluff, while Genii is more substance.

The only knock that I ever consistently hear against Genii is that some people do not like Jamy Ian Swiss (I happen to be a very big fan of his), and I can understand that. But for me, I believe that the question should not be whether or not I like someone, but more importantly, should I respect their opinion, even if I oppose it dramatically? The bottom line is, can I learn from them?

Swiss obviously rubs some people the wrong way, but he is someone that will make you think. I remember having several teachers in high school that I could not stand, but they made me think, and I believe I am a better person for knowing them. I did not have to agree with them, but I still learned quite a bit by not ignoring them.

For me, not liking someone is not a valid reason to avoid them, unless they have nothing to offer. Love him or hate him, Jamy has quite a bit to offer if you give him the chance.

If I did not feel this way, I would never have booked someone so controversial for my upcoming convention in March. Personally, I always look forward to talking with Jamy. He truly is unique, and as I stated above, he has quite a bit to offer.

Keep the change,
Rick Maue
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I subscribe to both also, and it would be extremely difficult to choose. I like the color and style of Magic. There is something about it I really like and I can't put my finger on it.

Since I like illusion plans and Genii has included illusion plans for years, it would play an important part in my decision making if I had to choose only one.
Dennis Michael
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
One of the big things that Jamy was berated about was his negative review of Ammar's Cups and Balls book. People were especially incensed that he would write such a review after Ammar had to go through a fire and losing his grandfather (separate incidents).

The problem here is that, first, the review was written MONTHS before that issue of Genii was published! These mags run two or three months ahead (in other words, they are probably right now-Feb 18th-putting the May issue to bed). Second, a review should be done based on the reviewers impressions of the merits of the product. The creators health, fame, circumstances, prestige and influence should have no bearing on an honest review. Jamy is one of a small handful of (if not the ONLY one) reviewers who consistently gives reviews based solely on what he believes the merits (or lack thereof) of the product to be. Agree or disagree, you can always be sure you are getting his honest and unbiased opinion!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magic or Genii? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL