We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magic or Genii? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
lesterkirad
View Profile
Loyal user
west lafayette, in
227 Posts

Profile of lesterkirad
MAGIC is a more casual read if you wanna just sit down and read. Genii is more in depth and has more substance.
Tricky
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Tricky
Ok, I have got the latest copy of genii and i think its pretty good. However it's mainly in black and white which can get a bit boring, are there any major differences between it and magic in contents and presentation?
james
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
I used to be split as to which I preferred. I liked Bob Farmer's Flim Flam column, and I really liked Racherbaumer's section on effects, but I always seemed to get more out of Genii. Also, I fall into the pro-Jamy Ian Swiss camp. I look forward to his reviews, especially when he doesn't like something. Now that Farmer is no longer doing his column, and The Rock is at Genii, it's no contest. If I had to choose, it'd be Genii by a wide margin.

This is not to cast aspersions on Magic, which is a fine magazine. I look forward to Michael Close's reviews as eagerly as those by Swiss, and I think Joshua Jay is doing a good job, although I don't think he has quite yet found his voice, so to speak.

As for stage magic, yes, Magic does seem to be more focused on the subject, but I think you'll find that Genii--thanks largely to Paul Osborne--is printing more information on the mechanics of such effects.

A Note to Tricky: Spelling and punctuation are our friends. Use them. I can't even figure out what you are asking.

Jim
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4355 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Well, I'm certainly NOT sending a copy of my book to Jamy for review. Smile
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
248 Posts

Profile of saglaser
I'm in the Genii camp, although I love both magazines. I agree that Genii is the more thoughtful, and thought-provoking of the two and often notice, as a self-avowed beginner, that reading Magic tends to make me go "Wow! Cool!" while Genii is more apt to make me go, "Hmmmm."

As for Swiss, there are times I am certain he is dead wrong -- yes, there are areas in which even a beginner can make that assertion Smile -- but he brings scholarship and sound thinking to his reviews and I greatly appreciate it. He's also funny as beejeebers and I hope I never ever ever have to perform in front of him or produce anything he'll review.

All that being said, this last issue was a slip backwards. Way too many of the feature article layouts looked instead like bad advertising. Still, I appreciate their experimenting. I just hope they're able to tell which experiments didn't work out.
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
284 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
This reminds me of the "Ginger vs. MaryAnne" debate (MaryAnne, of course).

I have a limited exposure to Magic, so any comparisons on my part are useless. However, I just recently began getting Genii after not subscribing for several years and WOW, issues coming early? I remember in the 70s issues coming which said "April 1973 (published in August 1973)." It's come a long way since I subscribed before. I really like it! They say Magic is more flashy and eye appealing, but the current Genii is far more visually appealing than in days gone by.
Hunter
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Hunter
Having subscribed to both, Genii and Magic, I have decided to drop Magic. Like many of you, I subscribe to a number of periodicals but one should consider "how much bang for my buck?" Magic has recently gone through a number of "management" changes (editor, column writers, etc.) and, unfortunately, the new folks aren't my cup of tea. So my personal preferences dictate my decision.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2441 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
thimblerig
View Profile
Loyal user
Bellevue, WA
273 Posts

Profile of thimblerig
Strong opinion, there Richard...

Not to suck up or anything now that you are here also - but I also vote (with my money) on Genii. It is truly a literary and literate approach to magic, it's history, performance, art and substance. For me it's "The National Geographic," "People," and "Variety" of magic magazines...with a dash of "The Toys R US" catalog...now if only Richard would mix in a little "Victoria's Secret..." <S>
tr
Smile
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2441 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Well, any magic from the latter part of the 1800s would be "Victorian Secrets" ... will that do? Smile
MikeTheRed
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of MikeTheRed
To be short and sweet my vote is for Genii...

Have fun reading magic magazines...

mike
haulboss007
View Profile
Regular user
Carlsbad, CA
103 Posts

Profile of haulboss007
I Like both, But if I had to pick one I think I'd pick Genii

Smile
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
I subscribe only to MAGIC at the present time, but you fokls have me sold on trying Genii again.Thanks for the insightful information.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
Rodney Massey
View Profile
Loyal user
pickering, ontario
231 Posts

Profile of Rodney Massey
I like Genii. MAGIC is a nicer product. Mike Close is a great reviewer, and I prefer the idea of one person doing the reviews of all things magical as opposed to six or seven people. I really lke Genii- but for some reason, I buy MAGIC every month- I buy Genii when the cover features someone I like.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1881 Posts

Profile of ASW
I prefer Genii - the articles are generally more eclectic and interesting. (I go to sleep reading multi-page reviews of stage showszzzzzzz....).

I suspect that Kaufman's personal views overly influence his editorial input (especially in the review section).

If you can, get both mags. I get MAGIC just for Mike Close's reviews. Any interesting articles are just gravy...

Andrew
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Kraminator
View Profile
New user
Florida
47 Posts

Profile of Kraminator
I read the infos on this toppics and I wnated to subscribe to Genii, but beware....they have a not secured site and want you to give the cradit-card information.

Watch out folks, there can be some magic you dont like....

I now wrote them an email, I wont give my information on a non secure form Smile
Indus
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Indus
I had just suscribed to geniibefore reading this post , so it sounds like I made the right choice then.
"A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimension."
--Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1264 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Genii, especially since the editor's change at MAGIC. Not in the Swiss camp but the other content is better more often. Richard has done an excellent job.

That said, I like MAGIC too and re-upped last month for the umpteenth year.

Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
Garrett Nelson
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Garrett Nelson
I don't subscribe to either. I am an impulse magazine buyer albeit I almost certainly pay extra because of it. The advantage is that I get to preview before purchasing. So I’ve got that going for me, which is nice… Smile (Too much movie watching for me)

I usually pick up Magic. I am not sure why, but I bet if you had to psychoanalyze my reasons a lot would probably have to do with the covers. I like the physical feel and appearance of Magic a lot better.

Anyway, there is my choice. But after reading this thread you can be sure I will take closer looks at Genii from this day forth.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1881 Posts

Profile of ASW
Actually, after reading the Fechner issue I have to say that one of the dire features of Genii is Kaufman's penchant for multi-page spreads on the latest Tenyo and other toy magic set stuff. I know some people collect this stuff but gimme a break.

Maybe Kaufman has shares in Tenyo? That'd certainly explain it.

Andrew
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Magic or Genii? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL