The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Body Pack Transmitter Position (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2222 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Where do most of you wear your wireless mic body pack transmitter? What is the most comfortable position for you?
I use a Senheisser wireless mic and I find it quite heavy. I place it in my right back trouser pocket. I want to try another place such as making a pocket way below my under arm, somewhere on my ribs.
I wear a vest most of the time.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
I clip mine on my belt in the back in the center. It seems to stay out of the way there. That and I have my VSM controller on the right side on my belt.

On a side note, my vest covers the transmitter and I run the cord down my back so the it (the cord) remains unseen.
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
I have mine clipped on the right side of my body on my belt. That way it's easily accessible to turn on and off if needed during the show.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I clip mine on my belt on the left side of my body.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
I put mine in my right back pocket. I do know of someone who has a pocket sewn into a white T-shirt near the small of his back. The transmitter sits in there, but it hard to acess once you're all dressed up.

John
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Like Jim, I wear mine clipped to my belt in the small of my back. It's completely out of the way, accessible and doesn't bother me when I sit. My vest covers the transmitter and wires compeltely.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2222 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Thanks for your replies. I want it concealed and not exposed. If I just clip it on my trousers, my vest somewhat bulges. I will try making a small shoulder bag similar to a shoulder gun holder and see if that works for me.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Lou,

Sennheiser makes smaller and lighter units.

The 5000 Series.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/cat......d=cat57b

Their expensive.

Also which model do you use? Does it use AA batteries or 9 volt.

G0THIKE
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I usually clip mine to my belt on the left size of hip. I like it there because there are times when I want to turn it off for a few seconds to make a private comment to an assistant, especially if a kid is being a little difficult.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
In order to maximize wireless performance, here a a couple of tips:
- If you receiver stage-right, keep your beltpack on your right side. Stage-left ... You guessed it ... left side.
- Keep the antenna extended. Coiling or bunching it will adversely-effect performance.
- Don't let the antenna touch your skin.
- The antenna should have free air all around it.
- Don't let the antenna be wet during use. This isn't dangerous, but is another performance reducer.

Cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I always put my belt pack in my right pocket and snake the mic cord thru the top of tux pocket and up the inside of my shirt.

and either clip the lapel mic on o put headset over my one ear.

My old anchor explorer has a 10" antenna and that is coiled up in my pocket.

I'm not very far away from my speaker.

If I have 3 shows in a day, I'm ready to go at each show.

Everything Dan McLean says is true.

But that's wheat I do and it's worked for many years.

Nez
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
I put the transmitter in my right rear pants pocket, and run the wire for the lav mic up my back, under my collar, across my left shoulder, and then to my shirt collar. That secures the wire very well, doesn't interfere with movement, and keeps the whole shebang (except the mic) out of sight.

With the speaker on my right side, the transmitter has a line-of-sight run to the speaker. But with my body between the mike and speaker, I don't get any feedback, even when I'm even with or in front of the speaker, although I do try to stay behind it as a general rule.

With the transmitter in that position, I can still easily reach around with my right hand and flick the "mute" switch on the transmitter when and if I need to. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Same here......right right pants pocket.....hidden wire.
Mister Mystery
styck13
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of styck13
Devon drops his pack inside his right back pocket. Glenna on the other had, who has no pockets, turns the pack around backwards and clips it on the top of her pants with the transmitter against the small of her back. The pants that she wears doesn't have a belt so they're not really tight around the waist. She uses the resistance of her skin to help hold it all up.

Both packs (hers and his) are overed up by their shirt tails. They don't' have to worry about turning it on/off or muteing it during the show, that's my job at the sound board. It works for them.
MagicOzzy
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
118 Posts

Profile of MagicOzzy
Okay, here is my little secret I get asked about a lot. First I use to always get caught up with my loads, wires, taking my coat on and off.....

So,

Go to a tailor or anyone you know and have a pouch/pocket sewn on to the back inside of your jacket (if you were one, the size of your body pack, make sure that there is a little whole at the bottom of this pocket in order to slide the wire/antenna through. That way before the show you slide it in, run the cord around you or up your back and over your shoulder, and your ready to go.

Because I were a Lav clipped to the lapel of my jacket, I can take my jacket on and off and always grab a handheld and never have to worry about getting caught up.

This is about a $20 project or less, and has made mic work SOOOOO much easier, hope this helps!
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
In the theatre world, folks don't often wear their transmitters in or on the actual costume.

Sewing a pouch inside a jacket, or any other item of clothing means you've only got the pouch in that one piece of clothing.

What most folks who use wireless a lot, or use a lot of wireless do, is to have the pouch sewn up as a stand-alone item with a belt on it. The belt has Velcro ends so it can fit under or over any item of clothing.

You put this belt pouch on UNDER your costume, and it lives on you like underwear for the duration of the performance. This allows costume changes, laundering of the pouch, etc.

It also lets you prep your transmitter ahead of time, put it in the pouch, (there's also usually a velcro tab over the top to prevent the transmitter from falling out of the pouch) and set it down......all you've got to do is put on the belt, and run the mic to wherever you wear it.

The nice thing about using a belt pouch is that you can make them out of ultra thin neoprene, and that stops any body sweat from ever contacting the transmitter or cable and antenna connectors

I just had a bunch made up in neoprene, with a thicker neoprene for the belt, with a velcro clasp.
Performers absolutely love them, sound guys love them even more Smile
MagicOzzy
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
118 Posts

Profile of MagicOzzy
I actually triedwearing the belt, as I that was the recommendation of some theater friends as well. It turned out to be uncomfortable with what I do. I like the ability to take in on and off. However the best is a great suggestion if it will fit someone's needs.
cns
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of cns
Silverking, any thought of selling these? Sounds like you're on to something very useful!!
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I clip mine over my right trouser pocket. It's in a good position so that if I need to I can reach back and turn it on or off. It stays out of the way there. To manipulate it discreetly, by simply putting my hand on my hips, my thumb can contact the interface and make any neccessary adjustments...

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Body Pack Transmitter Position (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL