We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Anchor an-mini - anyone tried it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Has anyone tried or seen the new Anchor AN-MINI? Looks like the perfect solution for birthday parties. Any Reviews
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
Just happened to see this PA unit, it looks interesting.

The darn thing is only 6 inches square, runs on 10 AA batteries, weighs just 2.5 pounds, yet is rated at 30 watts and includes a 16-channel wireless receiver. Looks like it would be good for smaller birthday parties and parlor shows; heck, the unit could even sit right on the magic table and still be inconspicuous. If the audience is sitting on the floor or seated on chairs, the unit would still be at or above "ear level" and be able to do its job of projecting the sound from that location.

One small complaint, there doesn't seem to be a handle or grip built into the cabinet. Now maybe that's not necessary, given the small weight and size of the unit, but I'd be concerned that the unit could easily just slip out of my hand and fall. For the same reason, even if it has rubber feet (I didn't see any), I'd be inclined to put a small rubberized pad underneath the unit while in use, to prevent it from sliding around or accidentally getting knocked off the table.

Supposedly the unit runs for 12 hours on a full charge, and that's a good thing if you need cordless operation (it can also run on AC current by using the DC adapter). The rechargeable AA batteries would also be easy and fairly inexpensive to replace if and when that became necessary. The only downside I can see is that there don't appear to be any tone controls, so there's no way to adjust the bass/treble from the unit itself. If you're running music through it from an MP3 player, you could adjust the tone at the player. But I don't see any way to adjust the tone on the speech, which may or may not be important to you. Of course, there is only one 5" speaker, so you're not going to get thundering bass or tremendous crisp sound anyway, but then again I think the main goal here would be sound reinforcement, not amplification -- you just want to be louder than the kids and any background noise.

As usual, you do pay a premium for the included rechargeable battery feature. This unit sells for $750, about $100 more than the AN-130, which is also a 30-watt wireless Anchor PA unit that only runs on AC. In any event, the AN-mini seems to be comparable in price and features to other larger and heavier units, like the PASO ProCast50, another 30-watt wireless/cordless unit that weights about 12 pounds and has a 5-6 hour battery runtime. It is also about the twice the cost of the Florida Magic wireless system (but appears to be about five times as good). I have no idea about the unit's sound quality or durability since I have never seen or used one, but it certainly seems like it would be worth a look. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1621 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
You'd be better off with a Mini Vox. It's not much bigger, and it would reach a bigger crowd.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
You know, I was going to mention the Mini-Vox, but it's only an 18-watt system. While wattage is not the only measure of a system's coverage, it seems that the Mini-Vox would not do as good a job as the AN-mini at 30 watts.

The other consideration is purely personal: I thought the Mini-Vox was very industrial-looking (ugly). While I don't expect my PA to win any beauty contests, (it's there to be heard and not seen!), I don't want to have it distracting people, either.

Of course, I've never used either Anchor product in question, so my opinions aren't worth a heck of a lot. But FWIW, those were the vibes I got from looking at the spec sheets and pix. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
If you plan on getting a MINI-VOX you be do it quickly. Anchor is no longer making the Mini-Vox and once they sell what they currently have it stock that is it. The Mini is replacing the Mini-Vox!
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1621 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2008-09-23 08:27, todd75 wrote:
If you plan on getting a MINI-VOX you be do it quickly. Anchor is no longer making the Mini-Vox and once they sell what they currently have it stock that is it. The Mini is replacing the Mini-Vox!

Just emailed Anchor and they confirmed this.

Quote:
The Mini-vox will be discontinued January 1 2009. The MiniVox Lite has replaced the old PB-25. It is lighter more powerful and has had rave reviews thus far. You can see this unit at http://www.anchoraudio.com.

This looks cool:

http://www.anchoraudio.com/product.cfm?C......=MVXLITE
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
The mini-vox lite looks cool, although bigger and heavier than the AN Mini, both still at 30W/109DB. Still it might be a good option!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Anchor an-mini - anyone tried it? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL