The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Ever Had Anything Like This Happen To You" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

amazing_gordo
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
35 Posts

Profile of amazing_gordo
I've been a magician for about 5 years now, and love to perform. I've done magic on stage, at parties, at special events, on television and out on the street. Nothing is as much fun as performing for an audience, and watching their jaws drop when I do a particularly cool illusion.

But once in a while, things go wrong.

Now, I don't mean that I screwed up the trick, or somebody heckled me or something. I mean when something really out of left field happens.

For instance, a few days ago I had been out doing street magic on the main drag near my house. I was doing pretty good, and getting great reactions from the people.

I thanked the audience and moved along the street a bit, to work another area. That was when I saw a pretty blonde girl waiting for a bus. I walked over and did a few fast close up tricks for her, and she seemed to love them, so I did a few more. She was absolutely amazed and in awe of every trick.

She told me how much she enjoyed my magic, and then she asked me if I could help her with a problem. I was a little surprised by the question, but I said I would help if I could. I figured she just wanted to learn a trick or something like that

Then she told me she had cancer, and asked if I could cure her with magic.

She was SERIOUS! She thought my tricks were REAL!!

What do you say to something like that? I guess I babbled something about just being an entertainer, and said I was sorry and would like to help her, but I really couldn't. She was clearly disapointed, and said "that's okay, thanks anyway," and walked off. Needless to say, my entire day was ruined, and I packed up and went home.

The next day, I went back out on the street again, and was doing some of my most killer effects for the people. Their reactions were off the hook! I was getting cheers and even a few screams!

A distinguished looking man in a rather expensive looking suit was watching and reacting too. After I finished and thanked the crowd, the man in the suit approached me and gave me his business card. It said on it that he was some sort of homeopathic doctor or something, who also did acupuncture and other stuff.

Unlike the girl with the cancer, this guy knew my magic wasn't real. Then he asked me if I could teach him some magic tricks to use on his patients. I couldn't figure out why a "doctor" would want to do tricks for his patients, when he asked how to do mind reading tricks, make predications and stuff like that. I know how to do these things but I am not in the habit of exposing magic to just anybody who asks.

Anyway, he continued asking me if I could show him "certain" tricks, and that was when I figured out he was just a scam artist who wanted to pretend he had powers to bilk his patients out of money! What a creep!

I coldly told him I couldn't help him, and walked away as fast as I could without breaking into a run.

So all I can say is that while I enjoy being a magician, and love to entertain people, it's often sad when people take what I do for anything other than entertainment.

I can put on a hell of a good magic show; I can levitate, vanish before your eyes, even lift your wallet or wristwatch, but I am not a doctor anymore than that guy in the fancy suit was. What that girl asked me still bothers me.
Dante_Ravenkin
View Profile
New user
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of Dante_Ravenkin
That is a rather sad story. In a lot of ways. Sad that a man would use our art to rob people. And sad about that poor woman. Although, I think this story speaks volumes to your integrity Gordo. Keep it up Bro!
'For Those Who Believe, No Explanation is Necessary. For Those Who Do Not, None Will Suffice.' - Joseph Dunninger

~Kirk~
pantseatflyer
View Profile
New user
NW Arkansas
40 Posts

Profile of pantseatflyer
You did the right thing Gordo. So many people use our art to take advantage of others.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Ever Had Anything Like This Happen To You" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL