The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » VBS ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
drokle
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
28 Posts

Profile of drokle
Hi everyone,
I would like to do an illusion each day of our church's Vacation Bible School (Group's Powerlab) that goes along with the bible lesson. I was hoping to get some ideas. The lessons are as follows:

DAY 1: Jesus heals the 10 lepers.
DAY 2: Jesus gives sight to the blind man.
DAY 3: Jesus gives Peter courage to walk on water.
DAY 4: Jesus dies and is resurrected.
DAY 5: The Holy Spirit comes at Pentecost.

I am open to and thankful for any suggestions. Thanks. God bless.
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Although I'm still fairly new to performing Gospel magic, and have yet to learn lots about what illusion to use when, the twentieth century silks seems to be a good illusion to use for the death and resurrection of Christ.

I'm afraid I can't suggest anything else to you, but I do hope it goes very well for you!

God Bless!
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I would need to know what you have unless you want to go and buy a lot of new stuff...

Day 1 - Torn and Restored newspaper (just like the 10 lepers who desperately needed healing, our lives can be destroyed (tear newspaper) and no matter how bad it might look, Jesus can put it back together again...but don't be like the 9 lepers who didn't thank Jesus, be the 10th one who thanked Him for what He did)

Day 3 - If you have a chair suspension - you could talk about faith, how it took faith for Peter to walk on water - I do a whole routine on faith with the chair suspension

Day 4 - if you can't come up with something on this, then Gospel magic is not for you...

Day 5 - Anything to do with doves, or vanishing firecracker that turns into a dove silk...

Just some ideas
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Hi,
these are effects I've seen used for these (or similar presentations) this year

Day one: curing lepers

use a change bag, dirty silk in, clean silk out. Why not draw on them a figure of a leper using a sharpie? I tried drawing on tissue paper but the kids heard it rustling.

OR Magic Painting

Day two : curing the blind

some form of blindfold trick / game based on Tail Spin?

Day Three : Courage walking on water

This is really about trusting God. I used rope through girl or the arm chopper

Day four : Resurrection

Square Circle as a miracle they can all see.

OR TT, silk, silk pedestal (Duane Laflin Strong Gospel magic p.22-4)

Day five: Pentecost

Have all of the kids on the floor as the middle silk from 20th silk set floats around them.Then use a change bag, TT, dove pan or lewis cone to make it disappear. Then reappear it inside the other two held by a volunteer.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
376 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
Here is a routine I wrote some time ago for being filled with the Holy Spirit.

BE FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT
I CORINTHIANS 12:8 & GALATIANS 5:22-23

REFERENCE: Gifts of the Spirit & Fruit of the Spirit

NEEDED: Trick called “Indian Pot”.

SETUP: Pot is filled with water during the lesson, turned over, even tossed into the air and the water does not come out until you want it to. It is a very inexpensive trick.

LESSON

Before Jesus left us to go back to the Father, he told his disciples he would send the Comforter. Who is the Comforter? Right, it is the Holy Spirit. Jesus sent Him to us so we can be filled with the Spirit and receive God’s gifts. (Pour water into the pot while saying..) Receive and be filled with the gifts of prophecy, distinguishing spirits, tongues and interpretations. (I Corinthians 12:8-11)

Be filled with and grow with (Make sure the water is sealed in the pot and throw it into the air and catch it.) and move in the Spirit.

If you yield to the Spirit of God, fruits will be produced in your life. (Pour water out of pot while saying...) Fruits such as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control will flow out from you and be shared as a witness of your love of God. These gifts are free and the fruits are a dividend of a loving and generous God.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1903 Posts

Profile of tbaer
For day 5 ...this might be slightly different from the Holy Spirit at Pentecost. You can use the "healed and sealed" soda effect. You can tell the VBS'ers if anyone doesn't have Christ in his/her heart, it's like an empty soda can. Show the can as to be empty. Go through the rest of the patter and then at the conclusion, show the soda can to be full, pop open the tab and tell the VBS'ers that when you receive Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, the Holy Spirit will come live in your heart, as you pour out the soda into a glass.
drokle
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
28 Posts

Profile of drokle
Wow, thanks for all of the input guys. I should have explained myself a little better. I am new to gospel illusions but not to presenting the gospel message. I have learned a dozen tricks or so at this point but most are close up magic and the only ones mentioned above that I know are "healed and sealed" and "torn and restored paper". I will definetely look into the other effects mentioned.

Does anyone know where/how I could see and/or learn the "rope through girl" effect? That one sounds good for demonstrating trust.

Again, thanks for all of the ideas. Please, keep them coming and I will let you all know which effects I end up using and how it goes.

Your brother in Christ,
Jason
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Drokle,

For this you need two six-foot ropes and a small, home-made gimmick. Two volunteers (or teams of volunteers) pull a rope through a standing girl after a lot of patter about trust in Jesus. This was my first GM effect in front of a large audience. I've done it over a dozen times since.

I found a "rope through apple" trick in a beginners magic book (I think published by Dorling Kindersley) then adapted it for a human. We added a patter and GM message. It's in a few GM beginners books, including the download at http://gospelemagic.com

PM me if you want more details of the handling.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
hypermagician
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of hypermagician
WoW, thanks drokle and all

I had posted a similar message earlier asking what to do for the VBS in my church, and my church is going to use the same PowerLab for VBS. Right timing for this post. These are great ideas!! I am going to steal (or "borrow") them Smile
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Hypermagician,

how about adding a trick or two, that worked for you, to our list?

And good luck
hypermagician
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of hypermagician
I have very limited experience performing gospel magic, but sure, I will add my little 2 cents. FYI, I am still working on planning the show for my church's VBS.

For the topic of Jesus cure a blind man, I am thinking about doing vanishing cane to Jesus silk. I recently saw this presented on Duane's Art of Gospel Magic DVD (it's on Disc 2 if you need reference), and Duane used this present the story about Jesus cured the blind man. I may change the patter a little, but the main idea is similar.

I am still working on the other tricks, but since I am going to do a 30 minutes show instead of a trick-per-day, so I am going to include some tricks for pure entertainment.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Hypermagician

good idea, not every trick needs a patter. Think of some comedy elements as well like over-sized props and breakaway fans etc. Have a look at David Ginn on youTube and how he uses simple props to great effect.

And what is a powerlab?
drokle
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
28 Posts

Profile of drokle
Powerlab is the name of this year's Vacation Bible School curriculum put out by Group Publishing. They have a different theme every year like western, outer space, tropical, etc. This years is all science themed. "Jesus gives us the power to ..."

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions so far. Any 'science' based effects are also most welcome. Can anyone give a link to Duane Laflin's site? I keep hearing great things about his stuff. Thanks again.
God bless you all.
drokle
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
28 Posts

Profile of drokle
Never mind on Duane Laflin. I found it.
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
265 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
Drokle,

I'm in Orlando too and will help any way I can. Terry Wharples with the Christian Creative Arts Organization lives here too and has a Gospel magic, vent, balloons and more store.

Tony

Outta Control Magic Show
http://www.herestony.com
drokle
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
28 Posts

Profile of drokle
Thanks again to all for the wonderful ideas. Here is what I have come up with so far.

1. Jesus heals the 10 lepers - I will do Jay Nobledaza's 5 and 1 Transpo but with a $10 bill and a $1 bill. (I will start with a dirty, nasty $10 and switch for a crisp new one.)

2. Jesus gives sight to the blind man - I will use the Invisible Deck.

3. Jesus gives Peter the courage to walk on water - Rope Through Girl. (I actually found it in one of the magic books that I have.)

4. Jesus dies and is resurrected - I wanted to get the 20th Century Jesus Silks for this but it is currently sold out. Instead, I will use a combination of a Torn and Restored Card (King of Hearts) and a Vanishing Box. (I'll have to buy the vanishing box.)

5. The Holy Spirit comes at Pentecost - I think I will use Healed and Sealed for this. Also, someone I know thinks that they have a Fire Bible, so I will use that to read the scripture out of.

Well, that's what I have for now. I still have 2 weeks if anyone has any more ideas. Thanks again everyone for all of the great input. I like all of the ideas, I'm just trying to stick with what I already know or can get without spending a small fortune.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Hi,
try a different supplier for the twentieth century silks, you've still got two weeks left. I got mine for £5 last year. And they are a wonderful effect in Church as the kids like the colours suddenly appearing. Cards are fine but work best close-up, not easy as part of a kids club.

Please can you give me a link to powerlab.
drokle
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
28 Posts

Profile of drokle
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Thanks,

I found this link after a quick google http://www.macc.ws/kidsconnection/powerlabvbs/

I'll have a look at your link now.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Looked at the original link and I've downloaded some things to try out.

Is this only for the US or do they ship world-wide??
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » VBS ideas (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL