The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » VBS ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
drokle
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
28 Posts

Profile of drokle
I'm not sure. You would have to check with group publishing. My guess would be that they will ship anywhere. However, I think the materials are only currently available in english language.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I created my own to use with Jesus...you can purchase a small silk with Christ on it, buy 2 of them and then modify your 20th century using the Jesus silk to appear inbetween 2 tied silks...you will have one effect that can be used for secular and Christian programs, just change out what appears between the silks.
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Drokle,

I perform Rope Through Body without using a gimmick. Simple and safe as you can hand out the ropes for inspection before and after the effect. PM me if you need this info. You can also find it in Abbotts Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks Vol. 2, among other magic books.

Joe
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I tried that Joe, the rope keeps getting stuck in the middle...lol
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
265 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
You have to hold your breath as they go through Terry.

Tony Brent
http://www.herestony.com
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
The trick is to exhale as you pull on the ropes! Smile
drokle
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
28 Posts

Profile of drokle
Thanks for all the help Joe and everyone else. I would like to do the 20th century silks but will have to wait untill next time due to budget.
drokle
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
28 Posts

Profile of drokle
I was planning on doing the invisible deck for when Jesus heals the blind, but the more I think about it the more I think that it won't play well for children. Has anyone else had good reactions using this effect with children? Does anyone have any other ideas for an effect to go with Jesus healing the blind? Thanks again to everyone on here.

-Jason
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
265 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
Jason,

I don't recommend the Invisible Deck for a strickly kids audience.

What about something as simple as tossing an invisible ball in a paper bag gag? The kids hear something fall in the bag and see the bag move, etc.. Then you can produce a ball or something from the bag at the end. It's simple and easy to follow.

Tony
Outta Control Magic Show
http://www.herestony.com
myspace.com/superstartony
hypermagician
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of hypermagician
Hi, Drokle

I haven't used the invisible deck for children, and I don't know the patter of the trick. I do actually like to learn the patter if you don't mind PM it to me.

But back to the topic, I am not sure how old the children you are going to perform to, my personal experience is I would try to avoid doing any playing card tricks or gospel with playing to any kids younger than 5th grade. I found that younger kids, especially church kids, are usually not very familiar with the playing cards. They may have seen the playing cards and played with them, but lots of them don't have much knowledge about a deck of playing cards, such knowledge as there are 52 cards in a deck, and no 2 identical cards in a deck. I have seen some kids at grade 4 who were not able to name the suits. There are some logical thinking required in order to understand the effect from a card tricks, and not every young kids are able to understand the logic behind. And for kids, I prefer to do something more visual and doesn't require too many thinking. Especially when you try to incorporate gospel message into the tricks, there will be a lot of metaphors and representations, kids will get lost pretty quick. Of course there are still a lot of kids who knows a lot about cards will appreciate card tricks, but if I can present the same message with a more visual props, I will pick the visual props. However, on the other hands, I found kids who are getting into their teenage range, around grade 7 to 8, they do like cards a lot. I believe that is the time they start to learn and understand more about playing cards, and they will never get enough of that.

For the blind man trick, I am thinking about doing a vanishing crane to Jesus silk. That is the one I learned from Duane's DVD. If you need information on that, I can PM you.

Hope this help.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1903 Posts

Profile of tbaer
The bible story about Jesus giving sight to the blind man in the Power Lab VBS Overview is found in John 9:1-41. In verse 5 it talks about Jesus being the light of the world. Maybe you can use the "magic light bulb" or "Atomic light bulb" effect. Maybe you can ask a volunteer to play the part of the blind man. Cause the light bulb to turn on as you cause the blind man to see.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Hypermagician,

I agree about the cards. Today, I saw a magician do card tricks at a two year olds birthday party. She was really confused. Even the nine year olds (big sisters) were puzzled "how's that magic ... we don't understand"
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
drokle
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
28 Posts

Profile of drokle
What about combining Tony's bag idea with tbaer's light idea using blue D'lites? Do you all think that would play well for children?
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I'm still trying to get the rope through my body....do I inhale or exhale right now...
drokle
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
28 Posts

Profile of drokle
LOL...by the way Terry, I loved the videos on your website. Great lessons.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Thanks...they air in 170 countries almost weekly on the TCT network and they are on the SkyAngel network.
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
265 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 07:03, Terry Owens wrote:
I'm still trying to get the rope through my body....do I inhale or exhale right now...

Yes.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Obituary...we are saddend at the loss of Terry Owens, strange man, enemy of squirrels...he died today while trying to inhale and exhale all at the same time. There was nearly an explosion but somehow a rope kept him together...he will be missed...send all memorials to STS Foundation (Save the Squirrel)
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
265 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
I just heard about this on the news. It's terribly sad but I can't say it surprises me. I warned Terry not to do the ropes-thru-the-body. I said, "do something safe like the bullet catch", but he wouldn't listen.
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
265 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
CNN NEWS:

The Fort Wayne, Indiana police department in conjunction with the FBI is continuing to probe into the suspicious passing of Terry Owens. Originally thought to be a magic trick misshap, officials now believe foul play may be involved. Acorns and various other nuts, not including Terry himself where found at the scene. Police are currently searching for Rocky J. Squirrel for questioning. If you have any information contact the Fort Wayne PD Hot Line at 555-555-15152.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » VBS ideas (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL