The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Constructing a Gaff (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cybersloughter
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Cybersloughter
Hey, I'm working on a new effect, and I need to make a gaff and I haven't found a thread with anyone talking about a similar thing. What I need to do is glue an entire deck together to make a solid block of cards. However, I need this block to be as unwarped as possible and to look as close to a regular deck as possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on glue, method, or anything like that?

Any and all information would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
JLJ
James L. Johnson

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

... a rigmarole with a few bits of paper and lots of spiel. That is Mentalism
- Corinda
JoeyAlucard
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of JoeyAlucard
Use one drop of superglue on the center of eatch card and stack them one at a time. when your done you will still be able to riffle the corner if you want to, but the cards will stay in place.
Cybersloughter
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Not exactly what I'm looking for. It needs to be an absolutely solid block of cards. Although I suppose a little super glue in each corner and in the center might work, but I'm not sure.
James L. Johnson

- Voltaire

- Corinda
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
Paul Harris talks about this in AOA. Can't remember what volume. Anyone?
chefmagic
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of chefmagic
I used a glue Stick. It held together nicely, and its been about 4 monthe now and still stuck together.
Mike

Magic Legacy - Low prices on great magic!
www.magiclegacy.net
Kex
View Profile
Special user
Arlington, Texas
577 Posts

Profile of Kex
How about a thick deck-sized block of plexi... with the edges scored to look like cards. Then just glue a card on top and the bottom. Will last longer I believe and looks quite real.
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Hi cyber,
Try the Marty Martini Grams ( the art of splitting cards) dvd excellent,i recommend it. Regards Don.
Cybersloughter
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

The plexi is a very interesting idea. I may look at some of the building supply stores in my area and see if they carry any. I'm not sure how to score the sides to look like what I want though. I also plan on making a deck "brick" in Black Tigers, and I also don't know if the plexi could get that black look that I want.

More research I think.

Does the Martini Grams DVD include making deck "brick"? I already do card splitting, it is the brick making that I am really wondering about currently.

JLJ
James L. Johnson

- Voltaire

- Corinda
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of michaelmagicart
Rubber cement. Coat back of one card, face of the other. Allow to dry then align cards carefully and press together. Continue this process adding the next card, until you have a full deck. Place full deck between two blocks of wood and clamp in a vise for 24 hours. This should give you a solid block of cards that will not warp. Time consuming but it works as I have done years ago.
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
I would suggest 3M Spray Mount. You will see with ever solution you will take that you have to leave out a few cards to achieve the thickness of a normal deck as glue attached to approx. 50 cards will also have a little thickness, even if applied very thin.

And the DVD does not tell anything about making a brick of cards.
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
I would suggest contacting Bill Palmer, he use to sell exactly what you are looking for! I have one and use it from time to time to finish my acr, however I forget the name of the darn thing!
Troels
View Profile
Loyal user
Denmark
205 Posts

Profile of Troels
If you spend 15 $ on an Omni Deck you only have to glue 2 cards. I is available at many magic dealers. Just Google it.
The Omni Deck is an acrylic block having the edges prepared to look exactly like the edges of a deck of cards. The face is transparent. But if you glue one card at the top and another at the bottom it will look exactly like a deck of cards.
It migt be cheaper than a can of spraying glue.

Trolle
eman44
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of eman44
So I'm an artist/sculptor and recently had to make those fake plastic ice cubes for a project. use acrylic resin. you mix it with some chemical and then pour into a mold and within about 12 hours it dries hard. It looks like plexi but you can pour into a mold. you could prob. pour into a card box to get the right shape or you could find another box to use, or make a mold out of some kind of clay. this resin stuff is slightly expensive but for just one deck size, it wont be too bad. I don't know where you live but if theres a Michael art supply store nearby they have small quantities which you can get and they often have 40-50 percent coupons in the newspaper. that should work.

another idea is if there is an art school/ college with art program nearby, you could call them. There is a really cool new printer that you can actually print 3-D. No kidding, its really cool. I don't know exactly how it works, but if you could get measurements and other things, call them and see if they can make it for you. These printers make a plastic composite model of whatever you want. It might cost around 30 bucks, but it would be perfect cause they could get you ridges and curved sides. They could also have a bicycle style back printed onto both sides. University of Michigan has one, you could call them. I don't know about other colleges, but probably more larger colleges might have them.

I know that's a lot of writing but hopefully it works. If you have any questions, please PM me. Thanks!
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Try UHU glue. Looks like a thinner rubber cement, comes in a pen-style tube. I have used that for years and it works great! Better than rubber cement, in my thinking.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
eman44
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of eman44
Did you try anything? which one worked best?
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
543 Posts

Profile of Carducci
Also, whatever you do, if you want your brick to be as un warped as possible, do not use water based glues.
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
For those interested there is a longer thread here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=2

To summarize, people have best results using rubber cement. Elmer gluestick seems to work OK as well, but noone posted about the longevity. Ordinary liquid glue tends to make the cards warp.

Using superglue in small spots as suggested above will probably not give a finished product that feels right, and will probably warp with changes in humidity and temperature.

Michael
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I'm not sure if this is what you're after, but the method used to build the block of cards necessary for Ben Harris's "Enlightenment" could be expanded in order to make a full deck. I can't go into detail (for obvious reasons) but if you happen to have the trick, or plan on purchasing it, you may be rewarded with the answer you're looking for.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Constructing a Gaff (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL