The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lazy Hobbyists (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of michaelmagicart
Quote:
On 2008-05-22 11:24, marty.sasaki wrote:
You know there is a bit of truth in the original statement though. I often tell people something similar, if you want to do something that no-one else is doing, get the effect from a book. A large part of the magic community doesn't read books.

I will give you one better: A large part of the magic community never bother to read the instructions that come with a trick: Case in point: The Amazing Kreskin did a card effect on his national TV show that was a stunner. The following morning 7 members of the local I.B.M. Ring were at the front door of my shop waiting for me to open. They all wanted to know if I knew what Kreskin had done. I said sure, but it will cost you $1.50 each. I never saw money hit the counter so quickly. I handed them each a stripper deck. Of course they all said we have stripper decks, what about the Kreskin trick? I said read the 12 tricks in the instructions and you will find it there. Yes, in the 70's stripper decks were $1.50.
wackyvorlon
View Profile
New user
Sarnia, ON, Canada
72 Posts

Profile of wackyvorlon
I tend to come up with new stuff to try just because I think it would be neat to do. Of course, I expect just about everything I think up has already been done. But it's still fun to think of tricks. I think in the original instance, they were talking about a level below anybody here. You know, when you pull out a deck of cards to show some magic, it seems a lot of people know one or two card tricks. That's all the magic they know, and just about all the magic they care to know. They don't practice the trick, and don't work on patter.

It's a very different category from a real hobbyist. Besides, wasn't Dai Vernon technically an amateur?
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Quote:
On 2008-05-24 19:58, Michaelmagicart wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-22 11:24, marty.sasaki wrote:
You know there is a bit of truth in the original statement though. I often tell people something similar, if you want to do something that no-one else is doing, get the effect from a book. A large part of the magic community doesn't read books.

I will give you one better: A large part of the magic community never bother to read the instructions that come with a trick: Case in point: The Amazing Kreskin did a card effect on his national TV show that was a stunner. The following morning 7 members of the local I.B.M. Ring were at the front door of my shop waiting for me to open. They all wanted to know if I knew what Kreskin had done. I said sure, but it will cost you $1.50 each. I never saw money hit the counter so quickly. I handed them each a stripper deck. Of course they all said we have stripper decks, what about the Kreskin trick? I said read the 12 tricks in the instructions and you will find it there. Yes, in the 70's stripper decks were $1.50.

I think that is really funny. it also shows that with the right presentation an effect can be changed to a point as to be unrecognizable by most people. About books. I think someone said." Want to keep a technique or routine secret? Write about it in a book, no one reads anymore."

That in mind...I am reading more.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Lazy Hobbyists (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL