The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Andrew Gerard's PSYCHE: A review by Jamie D. Grant (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hey Gang,

Some History

I first met Gerard a number of years ago (seven?) and, to be completely honest, we didn't hit it off. At all, lol. I wish I could tell you why, but I can't. We were both younger then and maybe it was just the wrong moment in time for both of us. I sincerly wish I could turn back the clock, and here's why...

Further Along

...Andrew is a genius. No kidding. I'm not talking about Quantum Physics geniuis whereby he's rattling of the digits of pie to the nth degree off the top of his head, but he has the type of mind that completely understands, constructs, and applies techniques to problems with perfect results. PSYCHE is an example of this. I just wish I understood this years ago and gave him the respect he deserved. I'll try to fix that now (even though, in my defense, I acknowledged it when I reviewed his wonderful Key Accessory exactly one year ago.)

Now

I don't want this to be construed as "sucking up" to a new friend, which I consider him now, but will give you an honest review of the effect provided. A borrowed quarter is bent, first in the spectators hand, and then in your own. It's signed, it's impromtu (as far as I'm concerned), and is fantastic.

That said, you will not learn any new ways to bend a coin. And by that, I mean, unless you have some power that I don't have, there is only one way on Earth to bend a coin. Period. And we all know how to do it.

The thing we're looking for, in this trick anyways, is a new way to convince a spectator that we're bending a coin magically. And that is provided. Gerard has crafted a perfect magically escalation wherein you're not simply saying, "Hey, This coin just bent!" but are taking a spectator along a path from impossibility to further impossibility. It's routines like this that are worth their weight in gold because it's a rouine that can be used as instructed. It's been thought out, worked on, and honed to a level that is complete. The spectator will believe that they bent a coin, and that you bent it even further, right in front of their eyes. Gerard provides clear instructions and takes you step by step through the entire process, providing important psychological sublteties that are often referred to as "the real work."

What else to say? This is a routine that I'll be using straight out of the box and am quite happy about it. Whenever I leave the house, I'm further armed against the masses to change their lives, one bend at a time.

All in all, a great effect and a perfect routine! 10/10!

Magically,

jamie d. grant

p.s. If any of you know me, you know that I never give bad reviews. I only review tricks that I like and that I think my fellow magicians will feel are worth their money. I search for a lot of effects for my Magic Friday column and I've seen the best and the worst that Magic has to offer. However, this review, although true in every sense, might come across as too good. So Andrew, if you read this, I think you should have used a different font for the back of the DVD case...
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
RWhit
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of RWhit
Great review, I was going to try to express my excitement about Psyche but you did such a good job
I cannot stop doing it, I spent an afternoon doing the dirty work and I had 24 performances ready, down to 11 now !!! LOL
girlfriend still has NO CLUE.
Ususally she catches on after the 4th time or so ... I watch her face during the Melt part.... hahahhaaa

glad to hear you and Andrew Gerard are pals again !

Richard
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver- Canada
960 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Thank you JDG for the great review.

This effect is one that I still perform, almost daily.... along with accuracy and 2 others. I have gotten some great emails from people that have performed Psyche and are suprised how easy it is. Having this routine out there felt like giving away a child... LOL some of the strogest reactions I have gotten have been from this effect.

all the best
AG
Well then...
KiKi
View Profile
Inner circle
GERMANY/ Hannover
1143 Posts

Profile of KiKi
Hello,
does it need a strong presentation to work?
kiki
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Andrew Gerard's PSYCHE: A review by Jamie D. Grant (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL