The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Ouch - no show! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
I'm not asking for advice, just sharing my woe.

I had a show lined up with soft confirmations and solid committments of attendance from customers of my birthday parties, boy scouts and other patrons of the business where I do magic -- for a 45 min stage show. I was counting on a minimum of 75 with hopes of 125 or more. The boyscouts counted for 45 and they had called the day before to confirm they were still on. We also had a number of people who were coming after baseball games were over. (We learned not to try to compete with little league)

The show has been scheduled for 6 weeks.

The day of the show it comes a tremendous down poor.

The radio announces tornado warnings (the scouts have to cancel all outings in the area) and the baseball events are all cancelled.

The down poor stops about 10 min before the scheduled time of the show.

Then we learn that the carnival that had come into town wasn't opening on Thursday as it usually does, it opened on Tuesday - the day of my show. This carnival gets all entertainment attendance for the first 3 days it's opened each year.

The parking lot had 4 cars in it. Mine plus the employees at the location of the magic show.

I had ZERO attendance.

I was sad.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
So did you presell any tickets?

Did you do the show for the employees?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Rick
Timing is everything.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9493 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
That's worse then the PTA selling 6 tickets because that's how many chairs were available to them on that day.
Would have been nice to let me know.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17522 Posts

Profile of Slim King
You will look back and Laugh at this some day Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
I feel your pain. Let me share a Red Skelton joke that applies to this situation.
(this is a rough paraphrase)

"It doesn't matter how nice you are in life. The number of people at your funeral largely depends on the weather."

DD
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
[quote

"It doesn't matter how nice you are in life. The number of people at your funeral largely depends on the weather."

DD
[/quote]

Doc, thank you for that marvelous quote.

Hennessey
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

GerryHennessey.com
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
No presell on the tickets, no show for the employees, we are rescheduling so the employees will have the opportunity then.

Nice quote doc, I hope not to be counting people who show up at my funeral . . . then again . . .

Jay, at least my show was set to hold 200 max capacity, I haven't had someone book a show based on sales where the seats were so limited. That must have been frustrating. By the way, one of the effects I was PLANNING to do in the show was from one of your videos. The color changing balls with a silk handkerchief. I had a very hard time finding superballs the right size, but they do work very well (as you said).

Al, you are right, timing! It would have been good for the proprietor to have confirmed the start date of the carnival. Not much he could have done about the tornado though.

As an update, he had a lot of calls asking if the show had been rescheduled for later in the week. We have not set the date, but have informed people it will be rescheduled for later in June.

Oh well, guess that just gives me a little more time to rehearse!
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
I once had a show cancel due to a freak category 3 tornado in down town Salt Lake.
(I think it was one of only two such tornadoes in Utah the past 80 years!)
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Tell me about it, I got a call to do a VBS program, the person gave me all the information except the time. Tried to call the person to get the time, never could get a hold of him. I've been trying to call the number for almost 7 days now.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Rick
It could be worse. Once Ron Geoffreys was doing an outdoor birthday party in Camded NJ when he was struck by lightning, and Ron woke up in the hospital. They covered it on CNN and Ron's phone started to ring off the wall from people that wanted to book him. I later saw a lightning special on the weather channel, and they showed the scar on Ron's back that went from the base of his skull to the base of his spine.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Habu,

Wanted to apologize for the semi-snarkiness of my first post. Wasn't meant to offend.

It seems like you are on track to make lemonade from lemon of a situation, which is very commendable. Kudos to you. Please keep us posted.

Doc
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am glad I got to see the word "semi-snarkiness" used in a sentence. Or is it 2 words? Either way it was cool.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Quote:
On 2008-05-28 14:17, Dannydoyle wrote:
I am glad I got to see the word "semi-snarkiness" used in a sentence. Or is it 2 words? Either way it was cool.

You should see me conjugate the term "cheeze doodle".
Now you can prove it!”
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Quote:
On 2008-05-28 11:48, Al Angello wrote:
It could be worse. Once Ron Geoffreys was doing an outdoor birthday party in Camded NJ when he was struck by lightning,

As I said to Ron - that is God's way of saying "You s**k!"
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Quote:
On 2008-05-28 12:22, Doc Dixon wrote:
Habu,

Wanted to apologize for the semi-snarkiness of my first post. Wasn't meant to offend.

Doc

Doc, I didn't take any offense to your comment, semi-snarky or otherwise!

OK I had to look it up: –adjective, snark·i·er, snark·i·est. Chiefly British Slang. testy or irritable; short.

And thank goodness I wasn't swept away by the tornado or struck by lightning Al, at least I've got that going for me.

The rescheduled show is for June 16th, there are no tornados scheduled for that day.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
"there are no tornados scheduled for that day"

WANT TO BET????????????????????????

First post in months, only because I could not resist!!!

B
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Quote:
The rescheduled show is for June 16th, there are no tornados scheduled for that day.

Thanks for the laugh.

Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Quote:
First post in months, only because I could not resist!!!

Thanks for the laugh...you posted just over three weeks ago. Why not make two more and you'll be a an even 1400!!!LOL I've told you a million times to stop exagerating.

Rick....here's a quote that may make you feel better.

“My play was a complete success. The audience was a failure.”
Ashleigh Brilliant(English Author and Cartoonist, b.1933)

Best of luck on the 16th!!

John
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Oooooops, I forgot about that "last" one!!! LOL

B

Posted: May 30, 2008 8:02am
Tornados - 1 Habu - 0

Don't count them out!!

B

Habu - Best of luck for the 16th, we'll be watching the skies!

(John - 1400!!!!!!)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Ouch - no show! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL