The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Difficulty with cups and balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Frenzy
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Ireland
6 Posts

Profile of Frenzy
Hi Everyone,
I'm relatively new to all this but one of the first sets I bought was the cups and ball routine. Seeing as I was starting off I didn't buy an expensive set. It was a metal coated plastic set of cups, a step above the coloured cups which were also available. My problem is that the red crotched ball reflects on the inside of the cup and can be seen by all.
Is there a way to dull down the inside to stop this happening or maybe another tip you could give me?
Cheers,
W
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
You could paint it black. However, not many routines for the effect should even grab a glimpse of the inside of the cup. This is a real "skill" trick, and takes practice practice practice... but its worth it Smile Glad to meet you, and welcome to the forums. This is a great place to learn and ask questions.

-DJ
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Hello Frenzy!

Welcome to the Café. If you are "flashing" the ball, you may want to consider how you present the effect to others.

If you are standing and you audience is standing, then this will minimize their ability to see inside the cup.

Performing the cups and balls from a seated position with a seated audience requires more skill (in my opinion). So, I would try working your routine standing (wear a jacket with pockets if you are doing any big finales) and get comfortable presenting this effect.

After performing it for a while, you may wish to have another go at performing from a seated position. Chances are, the practice will have improved your overall handling of the cups and your ability to minimizes flashes will be bang on the dot.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Frenzy I do not know what routine you have but I would recommend you buy Michael Ammar's Complete Guide to the Cups and Balls. Vol 1, and Vol 2. I recommend you get them, both at the same time.

He teaches almost anything you may want to know about this routine. He starts with the basics, and teaches a really simple routine with basic sleights, based on Mark Wilson's handling in Complete Guide to Magic.

Ammar's DVD's then go on to teach more advanced sleights as you are ready for them, and then teaches more routines. Mostly though what he does is teach you the building blocks so you can eventually create your own routine.

If you are not familiar with Michael Ammar's DVD's he is an awsome educator. One of the best in my experience, though I do admit my experience is limited compared to others here.

Also included is Ammar's Cups and Balls routine (performance & explanation) :

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MWzh3VbXSds and Dai Vernon's Cups and Balls Routine. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=De2tyFK8WA0
(Performance by Dai Vernon at Mark Wilson's Magic Circle TV show... and Explanation by Michael Ammar ).

I think this is an awesome resource if you want to learn the Cups and Balls.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Frenzy
View Profile
New user
Dublin, Ireland
6 Posts

Profile of Frenzy
Cheers guys,
thanks for the advice. Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
These DVD's contain the fundamentals of the cups and balls, well-explained, and well-performed. Some people may not like Michael's way of teaching. I am not among those, because, having been a teacher in several different fields, I understand the need for clarity and simplicity.

These DVD's are well-planned, and they teach the cups and balls in a step-by step method that combines excellent pedagogy with clear explanations.

Not only that, there are historical diversions by Bob Read that will actually tell you things about how to stand, how to address the audience, and many other things not found on any other DVD's.

Combine these with the book and you will have a really wonderful resource for the cups and balls.

After this set, get the Bob White DVD and the Al Schneider DVD's.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Difficulty with cups and balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL