The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I want to impress my neighbor.... what should I do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
edlandau
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of edlandau
My neighbor is a professional magician.... I know... the bar is already steep.

He seems to know all the DVDs I buy. Can someone point to me to abscure DVD? something not widely known? ... In the hopes he will not have seen it Smile.

Thanks
Ed
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
of magic in Jacksonville, FL
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
WHY do you want to impress him? If it's just to one-up him, save your money and your dignity. If for a gift - then this a good question to which I don't have an answer.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5777 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Do something basic and do it very well. That will be the best way to make a good impression.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
How about moving?

I bet he'd like that?!
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Don't try to compete with him. Better to make friends and have him, hopefully, teach you some things. Take advantage of the possible opportunity to grow.

Mark.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Why not ask him if he needs any help the next time he does a show? Carry his bags, set up his stuff, etc.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought, "Hmmm, mow his lawn? Paint his house?"

There is some good advice to listen to here already.
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Quote:
On 2008-05-23 12:36, Tom Cutts wrote:
Do something basic and do it very well. That will be the best way to make a good impression.

Just in case you missed it!
skillzilla
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of skillzilla
What can you already do?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Learn manipulation with cards or coins. Do not worry if he has it already, what is important is how it is performed.
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of michaelmagicart
It sounds more like you are trying to insult his intelligence by attempting to find something that he does not know and fooling him with it. Why not do the opposite and become friends with him and explain that you admire him and would like to learn more about magic. Ask him if he would be your mentor and guide you in the right channels. I believe that this approach would be much better than attempting to one up him just to satisfy your ego. This just a little food for thought.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Saw his dog in half Smile
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
whitjm5
View Profile
Loyal user
of magic in Jacksonville, FL
222 Posts

Profile of whitjm5
Quote:
On 2008-05-24 14:13, spatlind wrote:
Saw his dog in half Smile

AWESOME!
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
502 Posts

Profile of Bendy
To impress your neighbor: Be a good neighbor. Peronally walk his mail over when the mail carrier puts his mail in your box. Keep the music down. Keep your yard mowed. If he goes away on vacation, mow his yard for him - for free. Don't walk around in your underwear with the blinds/curtains open. That ought to impress him as a neighbor.

As far as the magic goes: Don't even try. We are all at different levels for different reasons; regardless of how long we've been peforming magic. Most magicias are friendly to those in their field. Apparently, he impresses you or you wouldn't worry about wanting to impress him. It's not a competition. Let him know you appreciate his skill and experience. Tell him what got you started in magic and what you might be having trouble with. If he offers advice, great. If he doesn't, you've lost nothing and you've "talked shop" with a fellow magician with no prerequisite of being on the same skill level.

Basically, relax and DON'T try to impress him.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Does he have a hot wife or legal age daughter? Smile
I agree with those who ask "WHY"! What do you expect to gain by impressing him?
Humility is the key here IMO and rather than try to impress the guy, become a student/apprentice and reap the rewards of a mentor!
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Quote:
On 2008-05-24 16:21, MickeyPainless wrote:
Does he have a hot wife or legal age daughter? Smile
I agree with those who ask "WHY"! What do you expect to gain by impressing him?
Humility is the key here IMO and rather than try to impress the guy, become a student/apprentice and reap the rewards of a mentor!

Quoted for Truth. There are many magicians that would saw off their own leg to be in your shoes. ( Ok after they saw off the leg... your shoe... Unless the guy can teach them how to put it back on.)

Don't create any animosity by trying to one up him. Appeal to him as a " fellow traveler" You are in an enviable position it would suck if you blew it.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Impress a “professional magician”?

Listen to every word he says. Keeping the mouth shut
as much as possible. Asking questions only as needed, which will
also show you are interested and paying attention.

Your neighbor will be very impressed as this in not what
most amateurs/newbees do these days.

Trying to impress an “expert” in any field too quickly
only makes one look at the very least foolish.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1078 Posts

Profile of BCS
Mr. Ree,
Having read this post, you stated perfectly what I was thinking.
Thanks,
Bruce
NabsS
View Profile
New user
Geneva (Switzerland)
97 Posts

Profile of NabsS
One of the best ways (IMHO) to impress a pro is to use a method they will never consider using, such as basing an effect on an unsuspected STOOGE. But make it really undetectable, because it's a real catastrophe in your honor if he discovers about a stooge.

You may also do a stage trick with identical twins. It's quite an uncommon thing (because twins are so rare), but if you happen to have some in your neighborhood, you could really baffle him.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Ignore NabsS, Listen to Mr. Ree.... repeat... make it your mantra.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I want to impress my neighbor.... what should I do? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL