We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Predictionary - my review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Greg

I agree with you 100%...The Predictionary gimmick opens up TONS of possibilities.
It is only limited by your imagination!

Again, it means so much to me and Devin when we get great reviews from the real Pro "workers" of mentalism and magic like Greg Arce, Jheff Poncher, Richard Osterlind, Jon Allen, Michael Sibbernsen, Cody Fisher, Michael Weber and countless others that have responded privately as well.

Devin and I would like to compile and publish a manuscript of the many routines that you have developed using the Predictionary gimmick. So, please everyone email your routines to Devin so he can compile a manuscript that everyone can benefit from.

Again, thanks to everyone for all you support of Predictionary. Please email me or Devin if you have any routines or comments you would like to make. I will be at the IBM-SAM convention in July so I would love to meet everyone and share some good routines using this cool gimmick.

Magically,
Frank Velasco
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Frank,

It was a pleasure to be a (small) part of the project. I was happy to see the final product; you and Devin did a good job putting the piece together.

As has been mentioned previously, the potential for the gimmick goes well beyond the pages of instructions. I imagine most purchasers will be unable to help themselves dream-up new wonderful applications.

For me, I like just having the gimmick as a sure-fire back-up in the rare occasion some of my standard material goes south. For a worker, this usage alone makes Predictionary worth a million.

Michael Sibbernsen
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Michael

It was my pleasure to have you as part of this project. Your input was extremely invaluable in putting this product together. Thanks for all of your help!

Best regards,
Frank
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3603 Posts

Profile of takeachance
There's got to be more reviews, where is everyone?
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I would like to know that too. This has sold really well and continues to be a best seller for Hocus Pocus, yet we aren't getting reviews. JHEFF highly recommended this on his site. Is is possible the idea is so clever that you guys don't want other people knowing it? So everyone is keeping hush.

Devin
LukeB
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of LukeB
Ok Im all up for a love in but I've got a couple of gripes.
And I want it to be fair for those who haven't purchased and are considering this.
First of all though let me say that Pre-Dictionary is a great effect.
The Manuscript is worth at least the price alone and Devin's work on the 'Scorpio Principle' is superb.
My Main gripe though is with the description of the initial effect.
"a spectator calls out a word,the mentalist hands out a dictionary with a bookmark in it,and there on that page the word is found circled"
That is astonishing.Baffling beyond words.
However when I received the manuscript and read the initail effect- I was less than baffled and immediately knew the method.
There was something left out of the initial effect description i.e that you have to go into the dictionary after the spec names there word to 'bookmark the page".- and anyone who has read even one classic of mentalism could come up with a way to do this.
As the creators righty say, its not secret writing- but I reckon its a cousin...you do have to do something secretely...You could say it's secretly adding a mark (but very sneaky,clean and very clever)

The other gripe I have- is with effect where a word merely though of,never written down,never spoken is revealed.
It's a great effect but when I ordered I wasn't aware that 2 words would be in Play.
I already know a similar method Based on Bob Sommerfield's work where I also did away with the need to write down the second word(although in both cases I think the method is sometimes better concealed if the word is written down and never leaves the specs hands)
If I ordered the effect from any dealer today without checking the Café I wouldn't know that 2 words were in play.(most probably wont care)
After I read the hype and had oredered Pre-Dictionary I was out with a mate who asked me if I had been working on any new mentalism;
I said yeh sure..pretty soon I'll get you to just think of a word..you'll never tell me..i'll hand you a dictionary with a bookmark in it and you will open it up to find that word circled.
Sadly,while brilliant, it's not quite that direct.

Pre-Dictionary IS GREAT and worth the investment.
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
I'll give you my humble opinion. I got the effect. The method is not really a new idea but, is in this context. I did everything the instructions said. I practiced it and then performed it for my wife (the toughest critic). She saw it right off and figured it out. As a result, I probably won't use in public. I really don't feel it's practical, for me at least.

Hope this helps a little.
Mentalism for the Metroplex
LukeB
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of LukeB
Putting your paws in the dictionary AFTER the spec's named there word does diminish it slightly.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Then you use the routine by Bob Klaus where the bookmarked dictionary is out of your hands BEFORE the word is revealed. There are enough routines in the manuscript to satisfy any performing style. IN my opinion Michael Sibberson's routine we included overcomes this in a very clean and clever way.

Devin
LukeB
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of LukeB
I was just talking about the initial effect,but your right, the Bob Klaus routine addresses this perfectly-
Eric Simmatis
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Eric Simmatis
Well I oreded my shop to get this one and will pick it up on Saturday...I hope it will be great!
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Eric

Devin and I think Predictionary is a great release due to the ingenious gimmick and Devin's explanation of his 'Scorpio Principle'. It is fully detailed in the manuscript. Devin's 'Scorpio Principle' is worth the money alone!!

Still looking for more reviews.

Thanks
Frank
Xpilot
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
464 Posts

Profile of Xpilot
Quote:
On 2008-06-19 09:29, magicbuilder wrote:
Then you use the routine by Bob Klaus

Actually it's Bob Klase.
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Xpilot

You are correct. His name is spelled Bob Klase. His version is very clever. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks
FV
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1121 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Just wanted to jump in and say that Predictionary has given me great value for money. I have routined it into a longer "wordtest" set as an extra kicker. This has allowed me to remove heat from the method and also get all the work done well before revelation time. In this context it has delivered excellent reactions. I do agree with Ted to some extent that the first version in the instructions is a little simplistic and a smarty may be able to backtrack the method. However to be fair, if you apply the right kind of psychology to the routine this may be able to be overcome. IMHO, thinking out motivated actions and also time misdirection play a big part with this effect.

Thanks Frank & Devin for some great material.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Papasmurf
View Profile
Special user
Tell-Tale Shapeshifting
547 Posts

Profile of Papasmurf
I am also combining Predictionary into other book tests.
The concept is simple but brilliant.
When it fools my wife and daughter the greatest critics, then it is a knock out piece of mentalism.

Salute,

Eric
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Al and Papasmurf

Thanks for the kind words.....

I want to thank all of you who have purchased Predictionary, and I really appreciate the wonderful comments in the pm's, emails, and on the open forum from all of you.

Cheers,
Frank Velasco
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Hey Guys

Stock is getting low at Murphy's so if you want to pick this up then I would do it now. It may be a while before Devin can re-stock Predictionary...

Thanks!!
FV
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I have yet to try Predictionary out in a real performance, but I can only confirm what other say here.
This is ( at least to me) a new principle, and a great idea.

You can do the wonderful routines as described, create your own, or combine Predictionary with other routines, like implement it in a book test routine.
The gimmicks will last a long time, and the detailed explanatations are very easy to understand and follow.

I don't take up new effects very often, but Predictionary is one Iindeed will use, and it is highly recommended.

Sven
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Quote:
On 2008-05-23 23:31, Slydini62 wrote:

Any others that have purchased Predictionary, please feel free to write a review as well. Devin and I want your feedback on this product so we can improve our products to you in the future.

Y2John is correct in stating there are no stooges instant or otherwise, no pre-show, no forces, no dual-reality at all. This is as clean as clean can get! ...

Magically,
Frank Velasco

After reading the first message in this thread I decided to check Predictionary
out further online.

If this new utility gimmick does what is claimed in vendors' descriptions of it then it simply must be one of the most valuable mentalism utlities ever developed. I don't see how the effects it's claimed to facilitate could be described by spectators as being anything less than astounding.
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Predictionary - my review (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL