We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » S. Holiday style v. Gazzo Style (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Patrick McKeever
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Patrick McKeever
Whit,
I know what you mean about the accent. When I first started traveling on the European continent on my 3 year walk about, during the mid 60s, my Texas drawl was seriously pronounced. I had just left the rodeo circuit.

A German friend told me early on that I sounded like I had a mouth full of potatoes. At that point, I began paying more attention to diction in order to be understood. Of Course, I picked up quiet a few languages along the way.

Invariably, wherever I went, I became known as "Tex." I have to admit that at times I put on the dog and just let that 'ol drawl ease out. I grew up cowboying and Europeans love cowboy stories. Never a shrinking violet, I did lay it on thick at times.

I have been back in Texas for about 10 years now, and the old drawl has creaped back in. In performance, I don't make an issue of my accent but it is definitely and unashamedly there.

Just received my 3 Card Monte video. Great stuff, Whit.

Best, Patrick
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
This is one of the most intriguing discussions in the Sidewalk Forum.
Enjoy the read!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Definately worth the time to dig around and turn up threads like these.

I work a doorway show myself; oddly (or not so oddly) in front of a jewelry store. I have the owner's personal permission to use it as my pitch any time after closing hours, and he's backed me up to both rent-a-cops and the actual city police.

I always give him a shout out during my show; it takes nothing from me to give a quick 10 second advertisement for his store, and it nets me good will in return (which has paid off, as stated above).

I chose it because of several reasons:

Shade (wind, rain, sun... I'm good)
Angles (it's angle proof)
Traffic Flow

Really, it's a perfectly sized natural stage. He'll even kill the display case lights when I'm going to be doing BA work.

Now if only it were in Tempe instead of Mesa... *sigh*

I'm working on finding a good spot on Mill Ave in Tempe with the same benefits, but it's a harder area there- the doorways aren't set back in the same way and the traffic flow is... weird at times. Plus, I don't want to impinge on the other buskers/musicians there. They've been uber-nice so far, but I'm still respectful; after all, they've been working the 'walk there and I'm the new man on scene.

You always catch more flies with honey... and I'd rather that they watch my back rather than try to stab it.

But point of the story is: Don't be afraid to work out an arrangement with the business owner; it can preserve your pitch even over the police objections.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I've learned so much from this thread. Thank you EVERYONE!
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
I really appreciate it when older threads like this get bumped back out. I do a lot of digging through the older posts, and there are true gems in there. Thanks!
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1952 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Be careful about standing with your back to a closed door in NYC.
The last time I did , I was mugged by half a dozen 12 yo Gypsy girls.
One thru her arms around my neck and kissed me, while the others were beating me, and cutting my pockets off.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-07-12 14:50, ringmaster wrote:
Be careful about standing with your back to a closed door in NYC.
The last time I did , I was mugged by half a dozen 12 yo Gypsy girls.
One thru her arms around my neck and kissed me, while the others were beating me, and cutting my pockets off.

How was the kiss?
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Misdirection !!
The presentation makes the magic.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
On 2003-03-25 08:35, Danny Hustle wrote:

Gazzo works Quincy market here in Boston and often works the big pitch. But when this pitch is not available Gazzo can work (and often does) any pitch in the market of which there are about 10.

*** I would loved to have known that when I was in Boston....won't be back there for years (if ever)

*sigh*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » S. Holiday style v. Gazzo Style (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL