The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Over-doing misdirection (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Quote:
On 2008-05-25 05:15, jocce wrote:
Quote:
people start asking "How did you make the click noise?"

I'll go out on a limb here and say that if I get this question I would probably examine my hand motions, body language and structure of my routine. It's the natural action(acting) together with the sound that make it deceptive. I also feel there has to be good motivation for the transfer of one coin at a time from hand to hand. Personally, I prefer to do it on the off beat since there's no logic in drawing attention to, and deliberately executing something as simple as putting two coins in a hand.

I'll have to recheck, but I believe that Schneider's epiphany came when, after doing the clink pass, the lady asked "How did you make the clink noise?" instead of "How did that coin travel across?" Somewhere in the same conversation he goes on to talk about !@#umptions, and that a spectator might be just as likely to conclude they made an incorrect !@#umption rather than conclude that they saw magic.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Oh for Pete's sake. We can't say as-sumption on the Café?
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
remf3
View Profile
New user
Novato, California
67 Posts

Profile of remf3
Quote:
On 2008-05-25 13:09, clarissa35f wrote:

One question is he saying you the student.." hear the click?" as a way of stressing the convincer that the coin is also with the other coin? So the student is aware of what proves to the audience that the coins are both in the same hand? Or is this part of his patter for lay people?

I think if the former, it makes sense to ask the student watching the DVD if he hears the click. If the latter... Not sure that makes sense in front of lay people.

He was saying it during a performance for lay people. He was performing a coins across routine. He would place one coin in his hand and then perform a click pass with the second coin. The sound on the performance video was not the greatest (what's with Penguin showing all performances for people on the elevated cross walks on the Vegas strip?) but there was a very audible "click" of the coins striking. Then he stated "Here the click?" That's really what prompted me to post my question.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-05-25 11:01, remf3 wrote:
Thanks all for the input. Gaddy's comment is forcing me to come clean on part of my original message. The video in question was actually a borrowed video of a so-called professional magician. The video in question is from a company represented by a flightless aquatic bird and the performer's name rhymes with "Nose-bleeda". I'll not give away more.

Hey, man- He's still young. He's gotta learn someday. He's darned good, but (like all of us) he's still got a lot to learn. The age of home video production has produced quite a few pros who would have been better served by waiting for L&L to produce their amazing new ideas.

Jay lectured in San Francisco a few months ago to mixed reviews. The kids loved him and his free embossed poker chips (for practicing the muscle pass, of course!) the adults walked away feeling a little gyped...

I didn't go, as I had just attended a lecture and workshop by Jeff McBride ($$$). Priorities, you know...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
The clink pass is a subtlety and I've yet to see a subtlety that needs to be pointed out. Their entire purpose is to aid an effect in a subtle way.

However, if you perform it for me please point it out (I'm deaf.. Smile ).

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
The original question about: "Hear the click?" could it be the timing is wrong?

I have read this thread and in general agree about you needn’t run if you’re not
being chased and other comments along these lines.

But, there are several well know performers’ DVDs where they say something like.
“If you listen closely you will hear the coin travel.” Quite often “watching” the coin travel by moving their head and eyes from one hand to another. Followed by the coin release which results in the sound.

Seems to work for me as well as their audience.
Depending on how it is done there is a large variation in audience response.
It can run the gambit from magical to humorous.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Mr. Ree,

That's totally different and acceptable.
The topic is about a Click Pass.
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Jaz,

Thanks. I will have to get a clearer understanding of "click pass".

I don't know how to tell the difference when watching a video, without
an explanation, if someone is doing a "click pass" or what I described.

Guess it must be "known" by what phase the routine is in?
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Hard to explain Click pass since this is an open forum. All I can say is... J. B. Bobo Chapter 2: Basic Technique by Paul Morris.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Clarissa35f: Thanks looking at this now.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Over-doing misdirection (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL