The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Is this thumb fan better? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Does this thumb fan look correct? (Full 360 fan is my goal)

Thank you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzctv_cBL0c

Oh, by the way, that's me performing it.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Yes, it certainly looks better. It's rounder and smoother.

Now work on making it a bit bigger.

Whether or not you like bigger fans is not really the point. The point is to teach your left thumb how to keep the cards under control.
Amiable
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Amiable
Like Stone said, it's even, and that's nice. One of the things you can do to make the fan bigger is to make sure the left side of the deck is fully cocked into the crotch of your thumb; the other thing you can do is to adjust the fan after you've formed it by relaxing the thumb-hinge and letting the left side of the cards fall slightly.

Speaking of keeping cards under control, one thing I've learnt while doing a Carnahan fan is that you can adjust the angle-bevel of the initial deck (i.e. having the top of the deck rotated slightly from the bottom) It helps compensate for the sliding of the thumb better than a straight bevel.

PS, next time you take a video, you might want to show us your grip before you fan, and after you fan. It's really hard trying to pick things out from an obliged perspective... in 1/2 second Smile
ryan8406
View Profile
New user
Elkton, Maryland
88 Posts

Profile of ryan8406
Looks good.
LordFelix
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of LordFelix
Looks better than mine. Smile
Josh W.
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Josh W.
It looks like your doing it correctly. Keep working at it and you'll be able to do a 360 in no time.
"The person who says, 'I can' and the person who says 'I can't' are both right. Who do you want to be?"
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1463 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
It's gonna be impossible to get a full 360 degrees unless you cut your thumb off lol. Seriously, the only way to get a 360 is to hold the fan with both hands so you can move your thumb out of the way and adjust your grip slightly, just like jeff McBride does the giant wheel fan in his videos.

You've made great progress since the first video you made on the thumb fan. Good Job my man!
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Not true, you can easily do a regular thumb fan a full 360 degrees if you have big enough hands and proper technique. you just have to adjust the pivot point of the fan so it's at your fingertips rather than partially set in the palm as is the usual pressure fan method.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1463 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Ok
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1097 Posts

Profile of James F
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 12:21, Amiable wrote:
One of the things you can do to make the fan bigger is to make sure the left side of the deck is fully cocked into the crotch of your thumb

That's it right there. Your actual fan looks good, you just need to cock the deck to the left more so its larger. You can also bevel the deck moderately instead of cocking the deck although I think it looks better to just start the fan to the left as Amiable said.

James
Jeffrey Korst
View Profile
New user
SF Bay Area
92 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Korst
Also, feel free to learn this with less than a full deck. At first, it's much easier to get a nice even fan with about 40 cards.

And yes, it needs to start further back in the crotch of your thumb.

Good Luck!
Why, yes. I do need new pictures. Why do you ask?

Jeffrey Korst
San Francisco Bay Area Magician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Is this thumb fan better? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL