The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » San Francisco, Suicide capital of the world?...The Bridge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
More people try to commit suicide by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge than any other place in the World!

Wow!

I've been under it and on it, but never thought of jumping off it.

What's going on in San Francisco that so many people are depressed and suicide prone?

If you ever find yourself thinking of jumping and ending it all, Please call me first. Believe me, after hearing how ****** up I am, you'll gain a whole new perspective on life and might even feel good about your own.

Please don't jump off the bridge!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
An analysis of 50 cases from Sweden provided some date that suicides by jumping off bridges is preventable. The Swedish authorities have tried to prevent jumping suicides by building fences or other barriers in bridges. The effect of a bridge safety fence proven to be a very successful suicide deterrent in Sweden and in the United States. In some areas, there are also telephones installed which link directly to suicide prevention hot lines.

Talk to a mental health professional and/or a friend. There are options out there. Medications sometimes can work to relief depression.

If you are in a crisis or know someone in a crisis, call The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). Call 911 if the threat of suicide is imminent.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I remember someone writing a letter to the editor about a friend of his who lived in the California area. He had to cross another bridge to get to the Golden Gate bridge where he jumped!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
People here from all over the world to jump off. and some of them live. check out the documentary, "the bridge". they talk about a railing or a net.

great message evolve629
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 09:54, Justin Style wrote:
What's going on in San Fran that SO MANY people are depressed and suicide prone?

Well the city has tried to ban everything from guns to bottled water, beggars litter the city, the occasional 'guy walking around naked' just because, etc.

San Fransisco is a political nighmare. The city has made "being the first to incorporating progressive pollicies" part of it's creed. Fortunately lots of thier "progressive policies" are overturned by the state supreme court for violating the citizens constitutional rights.

Now, why the golden gate? Simple, attention. You want to get on TV? Go to the Golden Gate bridge and act like you're gonna' jump. If you've ever seen it on the news, you know that these guys spend 4-5hrs acting like they're going to jump, before being talked down by police. A quick psych evaluation, a bit of community service, and you can go do your interviews and write your book.

Now, we all know that the guys whop are there for 5hours aren't going to jump; if you're going to jump, it's quick.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
More people try to commit suicide by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge than any other place in the World!

What's going on in San Francisco that so many people are depressed and suicide prone?

Apart from the obvious fallacy in your logic there... Interesting tid bit, no one jumps off the side of the bridge which faces the ocean.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 12:29, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:

What's going on in San Fran that SO MANY people are depressed and suicide prone?

Apart from the obvious fallacy in your logic there... Interesting tid bit, no one jumps off the side of the bridge which faces the ocean.

I don't know what that means? Could you please explain? Do you mean not as many people? I'm just going by what the movie, The Bridge, claims. I did no research. All I know is a guy stuck a camera fixed on the bridge for a year(?). In that time he captured 24(?) jumpers. The movie is documentury mixed with interviews. I only caught the later part of the movie and will watch the whole thing from the start, the next time it's on.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 11:38, evolve629 wrote:
An analysis of 50 cases from Sweden provided some date that suicides by jumping off bridges is preventable. The Swedish authorities have tried to prevent jumping suicides by building fences or other barriers in bridges. The effect of a bridge safety fence proven to be a very successful suicide deterrent in Sweden and in the United States. In some areas, there are also telephones installed which link directly to suicide prevention hot lines.

Talk to a mental health professional and/or a friend. There are options out there. Medications sometimes can work to relief depression.

If you are in a crisis or know someone in a crisis, call The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255). Call 911 if the threat of suicide is imminent.

I suspect that if you found a 100% foolproof way to eliminate suicide by bridge-jumping, the most notable impact would be to increase suicide by overdose, gunshot, carbon monoxide poisoning, or whatever other method the thwarted would-be jumper came up with as a second choice.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
So ... wearing tinfoil hats does indicate that one is a little touched. Smile
POOF!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 13:44, Justin Style wrote:

I don't know what that means? Could you please explain?

Simply put, that more people attempt suicide at The Golden Gate Bridge than at any other place in the world does not lead to any statement of the mental health of San Francisco. Such a leap of logic overlooks that some, maybe many who jump are not from San Francisco. Likewise, it makes no reference to the per capita rate of suicide, a much better indication of a possible underlying locational issue. And lets not forget it could be a factor of limited options. How many people in New York jump to their deaths each year in all the different places they can?

Even facts can be misleading if taken out of context:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=new......e+Search

On my search, 5th item down
"Research has shown that. jumping from a height is more common in New York than in the rest of the United States..." This was studying in particular tourism suicide, or traveling to a location to commit suicide.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Justin
Don't feel like you are missing something. Go to Brooklyn the Verrazano is just as high and a bit longer than the Golden gate.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
See what happens when there is a waiting period to buy a gun.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 17:08, Tom Bartlett wrote:

If we ever have a "Post of the Year" contest, this one's getting my vote.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 17:10, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 17:08, Tom Bartlett wrote:

If we ever have a "Post of the Year" contest, this one's getting my vote.

Thanks!
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Here's a tip. You can still buy a kitchen knife at your local home depot with no waiting period, or save money and hit yourself over the head with an old baseball bat from you garage. Who really needs that stinken bridge?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I'm forever the optimist.
I'd hate life too if I thought like a certain group of people who despise the size of the human population, fixate on natural disasters, focus on the me & now, think that life is being destroyed by our very existence ... got lithium?
The world is a better place for people who dream of a pleasant future instead of fixating on faults of the past or trying to make the world fit their distorted idealism.
POOF!
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 12:23, Dustin Baker wrote:
Quote:

Well the city has tried to ban everything from guns to bottled water, beggars litter the city, the occasional 'guy walking around naked' just because, etc.

San Fransisco is a political nighmare. The city has made "being the first to incorporating progressive pollicies" part of it's creed. Fortunately lots of thier "progressive policies" are overturned by the state supreme court for violating the citizens constitutional rights.

Now, why the golden gate? Simple, attention. You want to get on TV? Go to the Golden Gate bridge and act like you're gonna' jump. If you've ever seen it on the news, you know that these guys spend 4-5hrs acting like they're going to jump, before being talked down by police. A quick psych evaluation, a bit of community service, and you can go do your interviews and write your book.

Now, we all know that the guys whop are there for 5hours aren't going to jump; if you're going to jump, it's quick.

I have lived In the San Francisco bay area my entire life (30 years), and I do not recall much press about anyone jumping. maybe once or twice something on the news, but overall it is not something in the news. many people jump off the bay bridge also (as a friend of mine did). I think it is quite harsh to the people that are dealing with something in their life to say "if you are going to jump, its quick". it is a big decision, (I don't want to get into the moral side of it) and I believe you devalue it.

my ten cents,

kevin
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 13:48, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 11:38, evolve629 wrote:

I suspect that if you found a 100% foolproof way to eliminate suicide by bridge-jumping, the most notable impact would be to increase suicide by overdose, gunshot, carbon monoxide poisoning, or whatever other method the thwarted would-be jumper came up with as a second choice.

LobowolfXXX, nothing is foolproof - like everything else in life. A
prevention or preventive measure is a way to avoid an injury, sickness,
or disease in the first place, and generally it will not help someone who
is already ill (though there are exceptions).
A determined suicidal person will find a way via other means of suicide,
if the barriers at the bridge do not serve as an deterrent. Can't prove
if someone fail at the attempt of bridge-jumping but succeed at other
methods, such as "overdose, gunshot, carbon monoxide poisoning, or whatever
other method the thwarted would-be jumper came up with as a second choice"
due to the lethality of method. All I'm saying is that if the would-be
jumper is given a chance to thwart and live to tell, then it's a life
saved and the prevention is working that it's intended to.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1006 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 20:14, kcg5 wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 12:23, Dustin Baker wrote:
Quote:

I have lived In the San Francisco bay area my entire life (30 years), and I do not recall much press about anyone jumping. maybe once or twice something on the news, but overall it is not something in the news. many people jump off the bay bridge also (as a friend of mine did). I think it is quite harsh to the people that are dealing with something in their life to say "if you are going to jump, its quick". it is a big decision, (I don't want to get into the moral side of it) and I believe you devalue it.

my ten cents,

kevin

If you aren't seeing it, then you need to switch news stations. I also live in the bay area and there's typically another "jumper" every month or so.

As for "devaluing" suicide (not that I see much value in it to start with), I'll rephrase: If the guy is standing on the ledge screaming "I'm gonna' jump! I'm really gonna' do it!" for 4 hours - he isn't really going to jump he's just looking for attention.

In most cases, the descision to commit suicide is usually made long before the act is committed. Hence why people write suicide notes and/or get thier affairs in order before they do it. Spontaneous suicides are VERY uncommon - hence why they are investigated as homocides instead.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2008-05-26 20:14, kcg5 wrote:

my ten cents,

kevin

I bet you haven't heard about dogs biting people in San Francisco on the news, either. What is considered newsworthy and what happens in real life are two different things.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » San Francisco, Suicide capital of the world?...The Bridge (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL