The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Banner for Svengali Pitch tent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
I would like to add some flash to my Svengali Pitch booth, by putting a banner on top of my 10' square tent.

My idea was to get two 4’ long and 1-inch thick wooden dowels. One would go on each front leg of my tent, so that 2 feet of the dowel would extend above the top of the front of the tent. The dowels would be held in place by one or two long bungee cords tightly wrapped around the lower 2 feet of the dowel and the upper part of the tent leg.

Then I could take a 2-foot high 10-foot wide canvas or poly banner, and string it between the two upright dowels, holding it in place with rope and grommets. Or, if the banner had pole pockets at the top and bottom along the length of the banner, I could run a 1/4" rope through them and use that to secure the banner. But I’m afraid of adding something to the tent structure that could place extra stress on the tent and tent legs in a windy situation and cause a problem. I’ve seen banners with wind slits in them, but that probably only reduces the wind problem and doesn’t eliminate it.

Another idea I had, which would be cheaper and less complicated, would be to get individual 4 or 6-inch vinyl stick-on letters in a contrasting color, and attach them to the existing front drape of the tent, which is probably about 8” high and 9' long. It wouldn’t be quite as visible as a 2’ high banner, but would still be an improvement over what I‘ve got now, which is nothing. But I have no idea whether the lettering would stay put, how it would look and how long it would last.

Has anybody else tried to do something like this, and if so, can you offer any ideas or advice? Thanks! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Josh Peters
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
64 Posts

Profile of Josh Peters
Hi Seth,
I've done something similar with my strange thing booth. I used the awning poles that came with my booth in the same fasion you described. I didn't have any issue with wind or harming the structure of the tent, but the middle of my banner sagged. Right now I use two 8' steel poles that I attach to the two front legs(on the outside part of the legs) using black ducktape. I also have a 10' steel pole running across the top of the two added poles. My banner attaches to the two sides tightly and is held to the top pole in the middle to keep it from sagging.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks for the info!

I also thought about the sagging issue, that's why I figured that the rope/pole pockets arrangement would be a good idea (and would also take some stress off of the banner itself). But I can see that it will probably still sag without a cross brace of some sort, it's inevitable. Now I'm thinking about some 1" PVC pipe for that purpose, which isn't very stiff from side-to-side, but would probably be good laterally and might allow me to pull that top rope tighter. Plus, I could join two 5' pieces together with a coupling for easy setup and breakdown, and terminate the ends with those right-angle coupling things that could slide right over the top of the dowel ends.

BTW, how tall/wide is your banner, and what material is it made of? SETH
Josh Peters
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
64 Posts

Profile of Josh Peters
My banner is 2x10 roughly. I made it from canvas bought at a big box store and painted it myself. There's several things I will change when I need to replace it, better paint, no grommets, stronger canvas. I chose to use steel rather than pvc as I don't really like the look of the pvc and wanted something very strong that would hold up to some abuse. I was able to get some angle joints for the steel electrical tubing and added eye bolts to attach the banners. I also use three pieces of steel for top brace that I connect together rather than one long 10' pole. The setup is still not exactly what I want and I have some other ideas I'm working on...
At a ren fair this weekend I used 2x2's to frame up the sign and tied them to my tent. It worked great.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Seth,

Use 3/4 inch conduit pipe.They are only $5.00 for a 10foot pice at Lowe's or Home Depot. Don't use pvc or wood. Get your cornors here to make a frame out of the conduit:

http://www.ysbw.com/3-4-Canopy-Fittings-s/6.htm

Spend the money and have a 8 foot by 2 foot vinyl banner made at a sign shop.Put it up with bunge cords so the banner is streched so it can be read.There is nothing that looks worst than a banner tied up with rope and saging so it can't be seen.

Check out my banner on the joint.See how tight I have it so it looks good.

http://www.zing-me.com/joint.html it makes a BIG difference.

Hope this helped,
Don
Josh Peters
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, MN
64 Posts

Profile of Josh Peters
Don,
Thanks for that link! I've been looking for these. I agree completely with you-the banner needs to be tight.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks, Don -- as usual you are right on the money, with the good info.

I agree, the PVC stuff probably is not a good choice, because it's too long of a run and it won't be stiff enough. I will check out Home Depot this weekend for the conduit pipe (sounds like its real purpose is to enclose electrical wiring, I guess).

So Don, when is "Svengali Pitch: The Complete Book" coming out? I think if you went back and compiled a lot of your Café' posts, there probably is more than enough stuff for a book! Anyway, thanks as always for your helpful tips. SETH
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
I use PVC tubing to hold up my banner and I attach them to the easyup with zipties, they are cheap and easy to attach and cut for teardown.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Jeff -- this is interesting -- what diameter PVC pipe are you using, and what lengths? SETH
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Seth,

All my signs have pole pockets top and bottom.

My setup is in 3 sections. The part that attches to the easyup legs, the part that holds the 2 small signs and the top part that holds the big sign.

The bottom legs are 6' tall with an 3 way connector at 2' and at the top these are ziptied to the easyup, I have 2 other poles with elbows at 2' and 6', they connect to the outside poles with 3' poles and hold the bottom small signs.

The top part is 2'6" tall and has 2 elbows to hold the big sign, it goes on top of the 6' poles attached to the easyup.

The whole thing is 8'6" tall and I can put it up in less than 10 min by myself.

Thanks,
Big Jeff
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Thanks, Jeff, for the great info. BTW, what diameter pipe are you using?

I took a trip to Home Depot over the weekend and looked at 3/4" metal conduit pipe (probably aluminum?), 3/4" grey plastic conduit pipe, and 3/4" white plastic PVC pipe. The metal stuff didn't look very sturdy, plus I'd need a hacksaw or special tool to cut it. Was I looking at the wrong stuff?

The grey plastic conduit pipe seemed stiffer than the white PVC pipe, and it also said that it was treated for outdoor use (UV resistant, I guess). I could cut plastic pipe with up to a 1" diameter with a simple $10 PVC pipe cutter, and it wouldn't need to be threaded for elbows and 3-way connections.

So the search goes on. SETH
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
Seth,

I use 3/4 white pvc. It's fine for outside.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Seth,
The conduit is steel not aluminum and 10 foot should sell for around $5.00.A hacksaw is cheap but if you buy a cheap hack saw be sure to buy a good blade.The blade that comes with a cheap hack saw isn't any good.Or buy a pipe cutter.They are just a little more in price but will give you a good stright clean cut.

Later,Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Hey Don, your $5 price was about on target, so I guess it was the right stuff. But it looked kind of springy when I picked up one end, not very encouraging on the rigidity issue. But I suppose anything that long is going to have some play in it, except for a steel I-beam (now THERE's an idea!). I guess when I cut the stuff into two 5' pieces, which was my plan, things would be different. And if I do go that route, I believe I would spring for a pipe cutter, since I'm no expert with a hacksaw.

BTW, when I told the guy what I wanted it for, he just smiled and said "Hey, go for it!" like I was some sort of wacko. Good thing I didn't tell him I was a Svengali Pitchman! On the other hand, he sounded like he didn't know what the stuff was actually used for anyway, so I could care less. SETH
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1673 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Definately spring for a pipe cutter. You don't have to thread steel conduit the fittings clamp on. If you see a good price on a PVC cutter get on of them too, just don't use it to cut PVC; it is the greatest gardening tool nobody ever heard of.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
Speaking of banners, I'm in the process of putting together my "pitch joint" and came across this source:

http://www.halfpricebanners.com/index_0860307.ph

Pricing seems to be pretty reasonable if you need just basic banners. It's also pretty cool that you can design your own banner online.

And yes, Don Driver's DVD's have given me the inspiration to give the Svengali Pitch the good old college try. Thanks, Don!
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Bill:

This is a great site. I have been looking for a banner with s big card fan on it and also a banner that has one big card face on it. I am looking for a pair of them. I think I may have to design my own! This would be a great way to do it.

Thanks for posting this link. Also as for the Don Driver's DVD Bill, you have the best information on pitching in the world.... you just can't go wrong with Don's DVD's Good Luck on your joint and pitching. ROD
Bill Beach
View Profile
Veteran user
Nashville, TN
304 Posts

Profile of Bill Beach
Thanks, Rod. I placed my order for 3 banners today for my joint. They have clip art available so I bet you can find the card artwork you need for your banners.
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Bill:

Hey let me know how they look and how you like the banners when they arrive. I also use red and white flag pennants to add to the flash, as my joint is red with white lettering(from Don's Plans on the DVD) same color as Don's . I have a white EZ UP with white sidewall. A little flash really makes the joint stand out, I think banners will add just the right touch. Good luck Bill and see you down the road. ROD
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2695 Posts

Profile of sethb
Rod, this is slightly off topic, but the flag pennants are a great idea. You can get a big package of them in almost any party store, and they add some extra color and motion, it makes the whole thing stand out and look more festive.

They also serve another good purpose -- I drape them around and over my tent guy lines, making them more visible so that people don't trip over them and hurt themselves. For $15, it's a great investment. SETH
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » Banner for Svengali Pitch tent (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.5 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL