The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Post your stories as they happen, here !! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
John Scott and I were DJs at KBYR in Anchorage in the early 70's. We were the best of friends and we'd do the bar circuit on the weekends. John was black (didn't sound it though). He played 'normal' rock music on his show. I had the 'Soul Patrol' show each night at 7pm and played the black groups like Chi-lites etc. Smile
Naturally when we went about the town, people thought I was John and he was Doug. It was always fun. Sadly john took himself out in a high speed run at a tree.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Can`t remember who passed this on to me,,,but I think,,,nice, very nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9b_GWOBHUk&feature=related
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Well the Fairground Heritage Show weekend has been done and dusted and what a weekend it was.

My first propper look around Dingles was a shear delight,,,if I had died on the spot and opened my eyes to behold these sights,,I would have thought that it was heaven.

With three days to peruse the thousands of both large and small exhibits,,from posters going back to the 1800`s to Edwards complete and working Dodgems which I rode back in the 60`s myself, then the Oldest P&J Booth in the UK to the solid tyred Sanger show unit (Under restoration) Etc etc,,, a two week holiday would be well spent inside the hangar sized barns which house these attractions.

On to our reason for the booking, we worked the Tom Norman show front, saved from the junk yard and in remarkable condition for its age.
To the rear of the showfront (On the outside of the barn) Voltini set up his tented show which worked as much as they possible could between the other performers booked for this event.

The Saturday saw an influx of Press, with camera crew from Sky filming our complete show and stills from not only the local press but Worlds Fair, ITV, BBC and BBC 2 all showing huge interest in this first time event.

The Sunday had more general public in but by no means in uncomfortable numbers so everyone had a chance to experience this blast from the past. Dave spent the Sunday with us and filmed, took stills etc of everything which moved !!! Which will be supplied to GD Books who have an ongoing project with their Sideshow History literature. I expect a fuller report as Dave saw it from his side, will be posted by him here,,,so further comment from me is not required.

All in all a very enjoyable and well paid four days contract (But the weather was S**T).

Ken.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
All hail Kondini, Nostalgia King of the Future!

Wish I could have been there to see!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Stoke Goldington Steam Rally again proved its worth with monster crowds on all days. Pockets were a bit tight regarding the swag and floss but overall a good show and our 15th year appearance.

Now for a first for us. The 3;30pm performance was well under way when two PC`s complete with yellow jackets and walkie talkies on the shout stormed into the throng. Not a thought for me being in mid stream they questioned a ten year old kid as to her identity right there and then oblivious to the fact that a show was in full flight.

So I stopped dead,,,they really got my goat up,,,heavy heckler rebuffs from me sent them both off with a flea in their ears and the speckies loved every minet of it. Constant reference to the kid,,,still seated,,,regarding her being a crim,,,brought forth much applause and merriment from the four hundred plus audience,,,,,the heavy handed, inconsiderate attitude of the British Police Force has once more turned the public against them. It was rude, not warrented and completly OTT, not one person supported their stupid behavior.

But, did it stop there !!! Hell no. The jumped up twits only got their commanding officer to come and have a quiet word with me after the show,,,,was I quiet !!! You gotta be jesting.......soon a crowd developed and to put this to rest,,,,general public scored 10,,,Old Bill 0....they left somewhat despondant with their lives and jobs in general,,,proberly never to act out such a scenario again !!!

Was I on the look out for the blue plague on the drive from showground to home ? Did I keep well within the speed limit ??? Course I did. I know how they "work" !

Onto Shillingstone....Ken.
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Kondini..."Where the HELL were YOU during the Bush Era??" Geez, We coulda used ya!....
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
The secret was >>>> He who has the mike always wins !!! Haha
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
First off I am going to just ignore what is going on in this forum in some places. I miss the old days here. All the sharing and joking and making of friends. (sigh)

Live and Learn
So I produced, directed, wrote and performed our sideshow for the first time. What? you say. First time??? In the past our sideshow was produced and paid for by a theme park. Three seasons. Then we did some private parties and have performed it on a cruise ships. This was the first time we produced and advertised all on our own in a four wall situation. It sucks. I don't know how you guys ever make it past your first first of may?

I know I learned ALOTT about marketing and too many other things to mention. I fully intend on going back to next years Fringe and seeing it grow. But alas Sideshow is officially a hobby for me. But how many of my friends fish, kayak, hunt, and many other hobbies that doesn't earn them one thin cent? So my toys are tax deductions and I make a little money. And when I'm not on a ship perhaps I'll pick up some gigs @ Hard Rock live or other bars around town opening for bands. Not really my favorite crowd but they are the ones that will want to see the stunts. I'll have to cut down the cerebral jokes and just stick to the tricks monkey boy.

Being our first year and no one knows who we are in town we had a GREAT run. Fantastic review. Our audience kept building and just when we were catching steam it was over. Now it did rain almost the entire fest, they raised the button price two dollars, and the economy is tanked so attendance was down.

It was exhausting and rewarding and I highly recommend it to anyone who is brave enough. I hope that in the following year we will see a growth of local appearances. (up till now we have only performed one private event and one public event in Orlando and we have been here almost 7 years) And if things keep growing maybe take the show on the road, in America that is. We will do our sideshow as a midnight on the ship but once again, not really the crowd for this act. We might have some walk outs and I don't like those.

Mostly it's great to create again. Knock the rust of the old and turn the screws on the new. We slaughtered the houses (video of their reaction coming soon) and it was very nice taking a break from the greatest job I can imagine having. Now I'll go back to work with glee and not take her for granted.

Highlights were when my new blockhead routine killed them. Sitting back stage just before the show I was sweating bullets worried it would tank. I had to wait five seconds for every laugh break. I felt like Bob Hope. See I talk for 4 minutes before I even tell them what I'm going to do. I have to admit it is a hilarious monologue that is very hard for me to keep my dead pan look through I just didn't know if it would be funny to other people.

Col. Wally's broken glass routine was another thing of beauty. Another monologue in a spot light as he removes his shoes. A creepy and true story about my father. Sets a weird undertone just before he gets goofy on glass.

We were both frazzled when it was all over but as the dust settles I am very happy with our achievements.

Will
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Fellow Blockheads...Lend me your nose...
Cause mine hurts.
I do something that even I consider stupid in my shows. I let an audience volunteer pull the nail out of my nose.
Up until this weekend, I had only one person ever accidentally push the nail in. 5 years, one time because we were outside in the cold and he was shivering.
The nail I use is 5"...and it completely bottoms out against the front of my skull. There is no room for pushing.
This weekend I had two people push the nail, two separate shows. The first pushed and wiggled it trying to pull it out, basically carving his initials inside my head with the tip of the nail.
The second just pushed- Hard.
The second one was in the last show of the day.
The one where I cut my foot glasswalking worse than I had ever cut my foot before.
There were puddles. Big red glossy puddles. In the exact middle of the show. I wound up wrapping my foot in gauze on stage while still doing my lines for the show.
And this was for "family friendly" audience.
Got great tips but dang...I am beat, tired and sore.
And a little whiny about it.
Thanks for the venting space.
G
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
251 Posts

Profile of Michael K
Vent away, especially if it helps ease the pain.

"Not too long ago, a good friend of mine shared with me a story that I'll never forget. They say that dumb people never learn from their mistakes, but smart people do learn from their mistakes, while wise people learn from smart people's mistakes. I try to be wise." http://scottfguinn.blogspot.com/ (Which has some good stories about others' mistakes with magic and business. A very good read)

Michael
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Hey Gwyd, hope it was a nice softly polished dull headed stainless steel Nippulini nail at least! Audience participation... well, it works for the genre of stage show, but can be flawed.... just ask my left nipple.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Why yes! As a matter of fact it was a world famous Nippulini Nail! None but the best for my nose!!
I'll still use an audience volunteer for the pull but am going to change the patter just slightly.
Over 500 shows with only three pushes...I'll risk it.
Gwyd
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Gwyd,

We have only had one incident of bloody feet from glass walking in many years but we always carry super glue just in case. A little squirt and the show goes on and the bleeding stops. You are CRAZY for letting them pull it out. I agree with you on that sir. Made me cringe reading it. You got big walls.
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Would there be a problem with having a volunteer tie a string around the head of the nail to begin, then conclude with someone pulling the string to remove the nail?

Impossible to push with the string, and also eliminates the possible ickiness of handling a nail that's been up someone's nose.

The visual image of the volunteer standing a few feet back and tugging the string might have an impact, too.

This would still allow the spec to handle the nail beforehand and prove it's real.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
That's a brilliant idea!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
How about a thin silver chain?
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
BostonBlackie
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
110 Posts

Profile of BostonBlackie
I like the chain/string idea.
For years I've had people HOLD the nail, stressing not to move or they will hurt me, and that I will move. I then back up with them holding the nail.
It wasn't the brightest thing I've ever done in my life. Sadly though, it was far from the dumbest.
-- Zachary Nixon Johnson
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
That's a good image; I wouldn't be able to do it, cuz I have a bend in my nasal passage and have to change the angle of withdrawl as I remove the nail.

I have a volunteer remove the nail, also using the same method as a sword swallower does with a volunteer removing a sword. Explaining everything to the volunteer ahead of time, I take ahold of the head of the nail with the pliers, tell them to hold onto the pliers, and I pull my head off the nail. I make sure to keep my hand firmly on her's the whole time. Never had an incident of pushing, yet.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Yet.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2009-06-02 19:16, CJRichard wrote:
Would there be a problem with having a volunteer tie a string around the head of the nail to begin, then conclude with someone pulling the string to remove the nail?

Impossible to push with the string, and also eliminates the possible ickiness of handling a nail that's been up someone's nose.

The visual image of the volunteer standing a few feet back and tugging the string might have an impact, too.

This would still allow the spec to handle the nail beforehand and prove it's real.

I like the idea, but I see more potential problems with that.
Using a string, there are a lot more variables. More likely for them to pull off center (Slightly down, up, to one side, etc...) which can hurt almost as much as a push. Also a greater chance of a sudden jerk, also off to the same angles as above.

I think I might go towards pulling my face off of the nail as opposed to them pulling it out. I like that route.

And Rotten...Agreed on the superglue. Great stuff. It should be in every first aid kit.
Gwyd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Post your stories as they happen, here !! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL