The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Post your stories as they happen, here !! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Sorry to hear about your spot, if I remember correctly the museum was bumped in Tucson a few months ago. I was looking forward to seeing the museum in Phoenix, I'll try to come out and say hi anyway.

Good Luck!
Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
You are right Fitz, we were squeezed out of our spot there too, not on purpose though. Same thing here. Just one of those last minute fair things. But we will be selling the HIppy stuff, We should be in the same general area of 19th and McDowell entrance. Was hoping to have both booths together to have at least one pay day. Look forward to seeing you, stop on by and we';ll cut some jackpots...
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Kahuna...sorry to hear of your mis-fortune....aint Showbiz Grand.....I feel your pain....Hope you hit a Homerun with the Hippy stuff...your Friend The Curator....
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

abigkahuna/1
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna/1
Hey Curator, Hows things in Waco. I understand up there in Dallas, Fort Worth, its been rain, rain rain. Talked to Kimo who has games here and there and says its beyond bad... Been a sad year for a lot of folks. Hope the grass is green out there...
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
To update, all in all the 2009 season was a bummer for everyone in the shows working the UK run.

It has taken all of the season to replace the monies lost on the Lapland fiasco the season before.

The planned Organ exchange run which was a definate for the 2010 season has fizzed down to just an exchange of Organs appearing on established rallies both here and on the continent ! The Kelder family will once again be showing with Shakespears Rallies and the Great Dorset.

Why the you turn,,,,,,money or should I say a lack of it.

Although we are fairly lucky with a full season ahead, many of the smaller shows have vanished completly and even the well established are asking us to keep fees as at last season. All very well with our costs going up which will equal a drop in wages for us all.

What with the weather killing off any outside winter gigs it requires dipping into the savings or going on the state,,my opinion regards this would be to sell up (At a loss) Emigrate to warmer climbs and become a dosser, like so many of the imported dossers now bleeding the workers dry in the UK I would do the same cos it sure don`t pay to be honest and work hard all your life over here.

We are planning on going in a different direction but age limits capabilities, however this biz is all I and many others know so we are in a catch twenty two situation.

I have never known it so hard.

Ken.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Sorry to hear all that Ken. An observation...Burlesque and 'Vaudville' seems like on a comeback there and over here...I'll put a wager many things, late 1940's 'Nostalgic' will blossoming again in full force in not too long.
Seriously, I sense a very strong trend approaching and I've been right on such things many times. Not just a brief fad either.

My advise to would be to semi Old Timey it up...World War 2 era in style and look and approach. People seems to be going back to who they WERE...who they WANT to be rather than what they are being told they are and definately not who they see they have become...the signs are everywhere...especially with the more middle class strata and in the entertainments they will be choosing. Hang in there my friend...you are about to make a comeback and with the others 'out' you can set the pace. 'Edgy' is about to take a massive hike.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
Quote:
On 2010-01-24 14:29, Doug Higley wrote:
Burlesque and 'Vaudville' seems like on a comeback there and over here...I'll put a wager many things, late 1940's 'Nostalgic' will blossoming again in full force in not too long.

...Seriously, I sense a very strong trend approaching and I've been right on such things many times. Not just a brief fad either....

...My advise to would be to semi Old Timey it up...World War 2 era in style and look and approach.

I'm ready

Mr. Pitts
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Thanks for that Doug,,, will look into it.

What ever happens we have plenty of prebooked shows but its not the getting of the work its the return from what you do that`s the problem.

We are lucky compared to many as we have had the best from it over the years and with the house paid for and few outgoings we will survive. The worry is of useing from one pot to suppliment the biz we know and love. I will find it hard to turn my hand in another direction but with a few strings to the bow we will do what we have to.

The vanish of Club and Cabaret work and thinning of proper paid outside shows will restrict where we can play. To think we could make the same £££ from a zibbit or swag unit would be silly as the punters too are finding it hard to get by.

To travel, maybe street work, tuition or even writings come to mind but the general vien will be to slow down,,,which aint gonna be easy !!!

Ken.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Post your stories as they happen, here !! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL