The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Release mechanism for escape (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
116 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
Hey guys,
We here in northern Utah are having our annual Northern Utah Magic !@#ociation's Escape from Reality show in August. I want to do a guillotine escape. In the past, I have had an "executioner" cut the rope that holds up the blade when the time runs out. However now I would like to have some sort of release mechanism attached to a timer. This would eliminate those in the audiance that will think that if time ran out before I escaped, the executioner wouldn't really cut the rope. Unfortunately I have no experience in making such a device. Could anyone help me or point me in the right direction?

Thanks a bunch,
Bruce
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Have the blade held by a burning rope,,,,,burns through!! Plonk.
Safety extra would be plugs inserted above the neck stocks, auto release of the sectional rope (Usuall method) So no danger.

Ken.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Sounds good to me and if ken said so I would go with that ...... but I wold jump of a cliff if ken said it was a good idea Smile - although it does depend on whats below the cliff ..........
mark2004
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
215 Posts

Profile of mark2004
Quote:
On 2008-05-28 03:15, BBunnell wrote:
However now I would like to have some sort of release mechanism attached to a timer.

Richard Sherry has a timer mechanism for sale, which sounds like it's designed to do exactly what you need.

http://www.richardsherrysmagic.com/access/access.html
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Why do you want to know what is underneath me? Dave, you confuse me sometimes.

I will speak in favor of anything built by Richard Sherry. You will receive safe, high quality materials from him.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
You will also need a large visual countdown timer, either as a regular looking clock, or a large digital readout. Not sure who does this, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking of the Cannons. Any ideas?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2008-05-28 09:27, Cliffg37 wrote:
Why do you want to know what is underneath me? Dave, you confuse me sometimes.

Well you have a seagull on your head ..... goes without saying ......

so I want to know whats below you as well.......

??????
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Yep Cannons sell the gubbins to make your own dial work but I must admit I had trouble stopping the spindle from slipping the hands.
Ended up with an LED display unit which was costly but very visual.

Ken
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Join your ropes/cables by a pin that can slide out releasing the blade. Hook a string to the pin. Place an air prop or a water wheel or an hour glass so that the rope to the pin is gradually pulled until finally, it releases.

Hope this helps,

Clyde
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
As chance has it, I am working on a self contained chopper escape and hope to have it done by the end of the the year.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
What has chance got to do with this discussion? He has not posted for a while let alone in this thread!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I would use a sand-bottle & counterweight "sand clock," similar to what Norm Bigelow used in "Experiment in Terror."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
BBunnell
View Profile
Regular user
Utah
116 Posts

Profile of BBunnell
Thanks guys for your suggestions. They are very helpfull and I now feel like I hve a good start. You are all awesome!
FYI... the first timer (clock)I made was just the workings of a regular clock mounted behind a large piece of 1/4" plywood. I used one piece of spring steel on the second hand only. I crimped it tight enough that it didn't spin. And then I used sticky numbers every 5 seconds.

Thanks again for your ideas!
Your Friend in MAGIC
Bruce
numamagic@yahoo.com
www.numamagic.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Go Dave! I need to be put in my place occasionally. The only problem is........ I eventually escape.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Great idea Bruce!

And Jay you should not encouage me!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Sorry encourage - not encouage that's something completly different!
escape13
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
103 Posts

Profile of escape13
Check this out for a stopwatch/timer. I've use this on my laptop for a couple of shows. If your screen is big enough this works great.

http://www.online-stopwatch.com/
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. -Joseph Dunninger - Mentalist
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Well that's OK but - what if the net goes down whilst your pon stage?

I like the idea - espceially the Bomb (http://www.online-stopwatch.com/bomb-countdown/full-screen/) but its a shame it explodes with an alarm clock sound!

not sure its practical for hte working pro?
escape13
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
103 Posts

Profile of escape13
The stopwatch/timer is downloaded so you do not have to be connected to the internet. Works just fine, very visable and it's FREE!
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. -Joseph Dunninger - Mentalist
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Oh I did not realise you could download it! I assumed! so made a complete *** out of myself there then!

I can agree if you don't need to rely on the internet that's good. I may well use it in class!

Still shame about the lack of bomb sound (or can you chance it?)

Still not convinced I could see the likes of Ken using it - but yes on a stage show maybe.......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Release mechanism for escape (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL