The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » My magical experience today at the toy shop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
So I go into barnes and noble and read some books. After learning just pretend and practicing it throughly, I thought I'd show it to some people. It was nerve-wracking, literally, I was shaking out of my knees. I was so afraid I would flash.

So I walk up to some elderly people and ask, "Do you like magic?" They said no and ignored me. These two older gentlemen I asked too, and they said "You're a magician, oh." They didn't want to see anything either. I found it very hard to find an audience. I remembered a toy store that my other magician friend went to do magic.

So I figured I"d hit that place.

So I go to the toy store, and talked to the guy (owner) there. Apparently he loved magic, and was a practicing/beginner magician himself. I showed him just pretend and pulled it of flawlessly, I asked him, "Did you figure it out?" he said "no, you did it well" and that was great. I also showed it to the lady there, where I pulled it off again succesfully. And then I showed his kid, and this kid reminded me of myself, getting into magic. He said, "Where'd the coin go?!" heh.

He wanted me to teach him some magic. His dad likes rope tricks, and at a toy convention he was taught how to do cut and restore rope. I asked if he knew professors nightmare (which, unfortunately, I've forgotten how to do), I told him I'd bring the trick next time. I showed him how to do some simple coin tricks, like th e coin roll, single coin roll down, (a few flourishes), and a trick in mark wilsons book where one penny turns into 2 half dollars.

The kid was 6, and he was very interested. He said, "Teach me some magic!" so I did. I taught him the coin roll, which, after some practice, he did it one full time (But he didn't catch the coin with the thumb at the end, that was too hard, understandibly). I taught him the french drop, and finger palm vanish. I also taught him a cent to half dollar trick, which he liked.

The french drop really baffled the teenager girl working there. She liked it alot.

I really think I left an impression on that kid. And that is wonderful, to start another kid in magic. A lot of times kids don't have the patience to practice, and this kid did, and enjoyed it.

So that's my story. Tell me what you think!
canadasphere
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of canadasphere
I think you're in the wrong forum.

and that you need to get out more.
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
Quote:
On 2008-05-29 03:50, canadasphere wrote:
I think you're in the wrong forum.

and that you need to get out more.

that's quite harsh Canadasphere.
The guy had a rough time the first time but he tried again.

Well done Strange Tasting Fish Sticks. Loads of people wouldn't have tried again but you did. So very well done!
qureyoon
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
261 Posts

Profile of qureyoon
Kevin, you did well ! Nice to know that you pulled it out well Smile

The kid is lucky Smile
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Yes, this is the wrong part of the Café for this, but let's not be harsh.

I, however, never really liked the idea of just approaching strangers in a store. They are there to shop, and I feel it is a little bit rude to interrupt strangers like this.

Mind you, we kind of do exactly the same thing in Walk Around magic, the customers there rarely are expecting a magician when they go out to eat.

Any who, congratulations on the successful performance. I would advise, for an easier outing, and avoiding the let down of strangers rejecting you, that you test new material on frinds, school, for example, but that's just me.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
canadasphere
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of canadasphere
You're in a private store. that's disrespectful to the owners, the staff and the customers. period.
VincentC
View Profile
New user
itinerant
20 Posts

Profile of VincentC
Well, in this case he DID say that he spoke to the owner of the store first, and I believe the owner was cool with it from what Fish says...so I'm thinking there wasn't really any disrespecting going on...period...
canadasphere
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of canadasphere
Halfway there it does, yes.

imagine you're in a supermarket and a total stranger walks up to you and asks: "do you like freestyle rap?" and then breaks out into a little routine. he's probably not very good and tries real hard.

what do you think? you try your best to head him off and awkwardly move away. do you think he's doing anything to advance his art? is he making it any more respectable?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » My magical experience today at the toy shop (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL