The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » White Star by Jim Critchlow (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
PhiltheBear
View Profile
New user
Southampton, UK
72 Posts

Profile of PhiltheBear
Sorry to disinter an old thread but I came across White Star accidently when looking at something else from Jim. It looks like a solid trick BUT - and in my case it's a big but - I live and work mainly near Southampton (UK). As you may know there's currently a new Titanic museum being built here and there are a lot of local people with connections to the Titanic - mainly via ancestors who worked on it as crew. My question is, would this trick be at all upsetting to such people?
--

PhiltheBear
Unusualist
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
This isn't an effect you'd want to perform for living ancestors of those involved in the disaster.

Far too powerful and close to home.
PhiltheBear
View Profile
New user
Southampton, UK
72 Posts

Profile of PhiltheBear
Quote:
On 2012-01-12 10:07, silverking wrote:
This isn't an effect you'd want to perform for living ancestors of those involved in the disaster.

Far too powerful and close to home.

I rather thought that to be the case. Oh well - looks like I'll stick with Outlaw Effects for the moment! Thanks for the info.
--

PhiltheBear
Unusualist
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
I've performed Whitstar in Southampton for a few years now and you should have no problem.

It went down really well at an event at the Southampton boat show. And was a staple effect at several gigs booked by Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.

Ive found that its all about presenting it with tact and sympathy. If done seriously, ensuring the spectators are respectful of the people in the photographs, it goes down very well indeed!
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Quote:
On 2012-01-12 07:11, PhiltheBear wrote:
Sorry to disinter an old thread but I came across White Star accidently when looking at something else from Jim. It looks like a solid trick BUT - and in my case it's a big but - I live and work mainly near Southampton (UK). As you may know there's currently a new Titanic museum being built here and there are a lot of local people with connections to the Titanic - mainly via ancestors who worked on it as crew. My question is, would this trick be at all upsetting to such people?

I don't own this so don't know all the workings on it. But couldn't you work it as something you picked up or learned during a trip to the states?
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
I did this for a class of 4th graders
They all knew about the Titanic from the movie

Set up the ambiance with a bit of history, some old coins, ans an antique pen...... As well as a copy of the Titanic DVD!

Kids reaction: stunned silence!
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
As a quick FYI, I just reviewed this for Magic Friday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chkSj1wxzXc
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
aqmagish20
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of aqmagish20
Hey there Jamie. Great review. Bad feeling/good feeling is great advice. Always felt bad giving someone the pile of dead people. Takes away a "bad feeling" (no pun intended) for one of the participants. Thanks for sharing.

Andy Quinn
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
This one always blows people away and is one my favorite story routines to date.
slyrich
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of slyrich
Yep this is an awesome effect, when played properly. A real favourite of mine.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
I just received this from a fellow Café member and loving the idea and its potential.

Anymore thoughts or options people would like to share?

What props do people use and how do you incorporate them in the routine?
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
I own White Star and wonder whether the private discussion forum for White Star is still available and how to reach it? The links provided in this thread and at MagicShop.co.uk which sells the effect are dead ends. Thanks for any advice.
Dave
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
I , too, would love the forum to be available again. (seems to have stopped for UP The Ante as well!). Have just got this effect myself after christmas and am loving the premise. Now here is my take on it. I love the revisited version and I liked Pegasus idea on using an alternating set up but why not take it further........? Use the alternating set up and then riffle shuffle the photos - odd, I know!!! - ensuring that the face card of each block is differing, ie 1 is died, the other survived. The result will be pairs of photos, each containing a diied and a survived.......now who was it that once accused me of not understtanding the GP here on these hallowed forums??!! All you have to do, now, is peek at one of the photos backs as you pick the pair up. In this fashion the photos have been shuffled but each spectator will get regular goes, ie no long runs of one over the other, the photos have been randomly mixed and you are only peeking 1 photo ieach pair!

Apologies if this has already been suggested.....am new to this effect. Hats off to Mr Critchlow, however. Lovely work sir!
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Great idea Capt. I will try your method. You must get lots of time to think once you're in the cruise phase of your flights. Lol. Gear up / LNAV / VNAV / chill out time.
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Pegasus, are you, perchance, a fellow aviator?! Yes, these 380 ultra long-haul sectors do give you the time to think....

Hope that you like it in practice, do please let me know what you think. Have just trialled it to my daughter and her friend. Very pleased with the results thus far. A nice spooky atmosphere and no hint that they even thought about how it was that I achieved the goal.

Happy new year to you all,

Best

Martyn
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Actually, I guess from your handle that you probably have amny more takeoffs than landings....!! I have 3 more takeoofs than I do landings...Let me know how your trial of my idea goes. Another successful performance this morning. This effect is fantastic! Really geta the audience slightly spooked and puzzled.....lots of scope for entertainment here
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Here's an idea I'm playing around with...

Only use 10 photos, 5 of each. Put each photo in an opaque envelope (pay envelope just big enough to fit the photo). Put a large black "X" on the back of the envelopes that contain the five "Died" photos.

You show the participant the 10 envelopes (keeping the "X" side down so it's hidden.) Explain that you want the participant to separate the envelopes into two groups. You say that you don't want them to know what is inside yet because you don't want them to be influenced by what they see. Instead you want them to try and feel a difference.

You then go into Patrick Redford's Small World routine that uses 10 cards. Its actions are perfectly designed for this effect.

After the participant has separated the 10 envelopes into two groups, you turn over each group, showing that the participant has successfully separated the five envelopes with an "X" from the five without "X"s.

So, what exactly is in the envelopes, and what is the significance of the "X"? You remove the photos, keeping them in the two groups. You explain that, again, you used the envelopes because you didn't want the participant to be influenced by the faces of the people. Instead, you wanted them to simply rely on their feeling or intuition.

That's when you slowly begin to turn over each photo to show that the participant has successfully grouped the photos into those who have survived and those who have died.
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Need to look that one up....dont know it. Any pointers as to where to find that?
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
There's a topic for Small World on the Penny forum. You could use other OOTW methods, but I think the envelopes and the "X" idea are perfectly suited to the method Redford uses in his 10 card version of Small World.

BTW, although I'm suggesting Small World, I have no connection to Redford. I just have Small World and have been playing with non-playing card adaptations if his ideas.
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Will start investigating.....many thanks for your help
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » White Star by Jim Critchlow (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15~16 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL