The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » White Star by Jim Critchlow (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..14~15~16 [Next]
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p2944/White_S......nfo.html

Has any one else seen this? To me it looks likea mentalist dream. What an AMAZING presentational hook. I cant wait to start playing with this one.
gmmagic124
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of gmmagic124
Some pretty good working conditions too.

No Sleight of Hand Required

Instant Reset

Cards can be mixed and shuffled

No switched or swapped cards
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
So...it is like a Out of this world with photos?
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
By the looks of it mate. persoanly I love the idea. I'm sure ive seen derren brown so somthign similar but I love the story with this one etc
booswain
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of booswain
Looks cool..anyone know where this can be purchased in the US
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Hi Booswain

White Star has just been released today so will only be available from The Merchant of Magic http://www.magicshop.co.uk for a while. However the shop does ship worldwide and shipping to any country is £5 (approx $10) per whole order, regardless of how many items you purchase, so its not bad for delivery costs.

Hope this helps

Dominic
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
I met Jim a few years back and he is a really nice guy with some great ideas, some of his stuff can be found on Colin Rose' site, he showed me some cool stuff he had made out of wood etc.

This looks really nice Jim, well done mate!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Very Derren-ish. Smile

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
CinChiller
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
404 Posts

Profile of CinChiller
Obviously another Dead/Alive OOTW effect. This time with the titanic storyline.
Not very impressive.
The Gaff Book Collection - the right tool for your booktest.
Music for mentalism and psychic entertainment.
Visit: http://stores.lulu.com/dankworth01
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Hi CinChiller

One feature of White Star is that you let the spectators choose the images they want to keep, then you DON'T need to adjust the packets/piles in any way at all. No switches or swapping etc etc. Just sit back if you want and let them read about the people they selected, and watch them discover for themselves what the passangers all have in common.

Sorry to hear it does not appeal to you. I've been road testing it for over two years now since Jim first showed it to me at 06 Blackpool Convention and have loved the interaction and depth of responce I've got from spectators with it. Each to their own though...

Best wishes
Dominic
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Ah... Free Will! Gotcha!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
TonyMc
View Profile
New user
Glossop, UK
52 Posts

Profile of TonyMc
I've been watching Jim perform this since its inception and the reaction it gets is fantastic. Roger Curzon said it's that good he's sorry Jim has put it out!
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
$60 is a lot of money!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Yes it is.But the Dollar/Sterling disparity is not the shops fault[as has been said many times before!]
The ad. for this reads like John Kennedys 'Red and Black' or at least the 'Red and Black version by Gordon Bean which appeared in a old Genii which used the
Gilbreath principle. I could be completely wrong of course.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
HI lunatik

Yep $60 is not a pocket money effect. (There's room there for a complete debate on the benifits of keeping some effects a bit pricey, but that's for another time) £/$ exchange rates aside, a lot of the cost has gone into the materials supplied. Jim and I wanted to make them as high quality as we could, so a LOT of time went into researching to produce the images and stories (over 2 years research just getting the source material and developing/researching the backgrounds) we also went for high grade card stock and went through THREE printing companies just to get them 'spot on'. The first prototypes were on regular card without the lamination coatings, but in the end (and after several long meetings) we decided it was better to blow the budget completely and go for the best stock and printing/finishing process money could buy. The product is intented to be used 'in the trenches' rather than just a few times to friends and family, so its vital that the cards will hold up to regualr use and being played with by the spectators. I'm very happy with the results.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Found the first review from a Magic Café Member on a different thread, so may be of interest http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=14

Quote:
On 2008-06-08 17:15, docsteve wrote:
There is a nice new 'wrinkle' associated here, although I have to say the method may not suit many as much as the standard OOTW.
The materials included are excellent - really really excellent.
Jim Critchlow's manuscript is well credited and uniformally brilliant throughout; the cards themselves, with the background stories attached are fascinating. They will generate a huge ammount of interest in any close up performance.
In the UK £30 is a fair price; for the boys in the US? I'm a little concerned it may be too much if you already have Dan's work, especially with postage costs.

More to follow (gigging Friday night - will perform there after show in bar).
Steve

OK a real "Field test":
I used the "Beyond.." handling - spectators mix the photos, and an experiment takes place.
Now, as the manuscript says, this IS NOT A CARD TRICK!! And don't play it as such.
And you know what? It works unbelievably. I did this twice, and got great reactions, without anyone catching on to what I regard is the weakness of the effect.
I'm going to continue to play with this, and I'm going to use Mr Critchlow's methods with the "From Hell" cards.
As I say, nice cards, nice wrinkle, but costs may be a little high if you're paying for this with US shipping.
magico563
View Profile
Veteran user
UK, sheffield.
381 Posts

Profile of magico563
I am very good friends with Jim Critchlow and Roger Curzon and they are top guys, I have a lot of respect for them both. I have seen Jim's 'White Star' a few times and I think it is fantastic.

Jim is a guy who loves methods and seeing into things and seeing what else could be made out of a certain method.

Nice one Jim, magico563 Smile
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
http://www.magicshop.co.uk is setting up a dedicated forum for owners of White Star as I write this. The Site is launching that service next month, and White Star will be one of the products to have its own passworded 'owners' section, to swap ideas, presentaions and tips etc.

Best wishes

Dominic Reyes
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
It still sounds like an interesting plot, would like to see a demo!
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Hi Lunatik

We filmed a trailer. It's now on the product page http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p2944/White_S......nfo.html

Its a trailer rather than demo as we wanted to show the presentation theme/mood and 'feel' of the effect, The trailer doesn't need to show the method/process as the written description already covers this fully.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » White Star by Jim Critchlow (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL