The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » White Star by Jim Critchlow (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..14~15~16 [Next]
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1896 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Thank you Ezzet! Really, your answer was really clear!
It's indeed not stated in the ad that the magician never touches the cards, but I think I read it somewhere on a thread... But I guess for the spec, it's AS IF the magician never touched the cards...

Thanks then for your contribution, I do think I will order White Star!

A great day to you!
Ben
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Thanks for the excellent review Ezzet.

The cards are indeed laminated. However, they are done professionally using a similar process as the one used to produce new Bicycle Playing Cards, so have a lamination coating. This looks different than if you put them through a heat sealing lamination machine, which creates a plastic edge ( bit like security/id cards etc)
The quality lamination doubled the production cost, but increases the life of the cards many times over. If you wanted too, you could always plastic seal laminate them to make them indestructable, but I think that would look a bit 'home-made'. because they are old images, even after a lot of use, they will look good by being a bit worn out, as it adds character to them.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1896 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Ok... I placed my order. Hope I won't regret it. I may give a small review to confirm what has been said already!
Ben
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1320 Posts

Profile of bond19
Received 'White Star' today..

Fantastic routine, you can really hook them in with this presentation and as stated before, the photos are very authentic and the info on the back will really enable a interestig and engaging set piece... oh and it's propless and self working, I have not yet road tested this but I know it will play very well.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1896 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Good, good, good!
I really hope it's not something I already know...
From what I read I don't think so though.
Ben
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3498 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I love the idea of a Titanic theme and will be picking this up. Storytelling potential just seems so strong. I'm getting the idea you end up with 3 piles of photo's. How many usually end up in the mixed pile and how is the mixed pile explained? Many thanks
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1320 Posts

Profile of bond19
Tried this today on a magic buddy and guess what... he had no idea!!

Best of all I mentioned it's based on OOTW but he still did not know how it happened..

For those of you who have this, I used the 'White Star re-visited version' and even though I only had my magic buddy (not TWO spectators as usually required), the method still went unoticed.

I must admit when I first read the method I said to myself this would never work, as I feared the very simple & bold method would be picked up on, but now I can see just how 'fair' everything seems and how the spectators really feel like they make all the decisons.

What a fantastic product, I can't wait to use it at my next show
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1141 Posts

Profile of caigy
When performing 'White Star Re-Visited' you could have the participants mix the photographs if you wish.
Once familiar with this version, the performer need never touch the photographs throughout the whole effect.
As suggested on another thread here on the Café, as the effect approaches it's conclusion, I state that I recently bought the photographs from the Souvenir Shop at the Merseyside Maritime Museum in Liverpool, the other artifacts however are genuine belongings from the Titanic. I have bought an early 20th Century style fountain pen from a local Antique Shop for £1, won on e-bay, a 1912 silver 'Threepence' coin and a very old English soft leather playing card case to keep the photographs in, 99p each. For under a fiver including p+p I am chuffed that I have been able to add an extra bit authenticty to this nice historically themed routine.

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
https://virya-uk.com/
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4455 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
How similiar in method is it to John Kennedys?
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1141 Posts

Profile of caigy
Hi Christoper, long time no speak. I hope you are well.
I have not seen the John Kennedy version so I am unable to comment but 'White Star', 'White Star-Revisited' and the three versions of 'Beyond This World' contained within the 21 page booklet, are all two participant variants of OOTW with the awkward move eliminated.
The quality of the 28 laminate finish photocards, explanations, comments, history and credits provided are excellent value.

Paul Mc.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1896 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Two spectators? Man... I missed that... Is it like Greg Rostami's Cosmos then?
Can't it be performed one on one?
Ben
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1575 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Hi Caigy, In the credits section is there mention of a trick called 'Red and Black? by John Kennedy? I too am interested in purchasing 'White Star'.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1141 Posts

Profile of caigy
Markymark and Christopher,
I have just looked through the credits again and indeed John Kennedy's 'Red And Black' is mentioned as a similar card routine. As I am unfamiliar with Kennedy's effect, I cannot say how similar it actually is, or to which version of 'White Star' or 'Beyond This World' it is similar too.
Both versions of 'White Star' certainly don't even have a sniff of being a card trick. The three versions of 'Beyond This World' do, because they are. I hope this helps.

goldeneye007,
I think bond19 (is there an Ian Flemming theme here?) mentioned in an earlier post, that he performed it one on one but this may not have been through choice and his buddy was possibly playing the part of two participants.
I suppose you could but there doesn't seem much point...I think you will agree when yours arrives.

Paul Mc.

www.psychicmentality.com
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1320 Posts

Profile of bond19
Caidy,

You're right, I was just testing this routine out on a magic buddy and therfore it was done one on one (not with two people as required).
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1896 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Thanks for your answer Paul! I can't wait for mine to arrive!

Ben
Ben
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4455 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
It is tempting...Paul, can you provide links to where you got your extras? Think I would purchase if I could find the extras to match my persona

Thanks
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1141 Posts

Profile of caigy
Christoper I have just e-mailed you some info with pics.

Paul Mc.

www.psychicmentality.com
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1896 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
I just saw my order was shipped July 2nd.
I hope it's not the same method as Cosmos... It doesn't seem to be, but I really hope it's not. I'll give my feelings once I receive it!

Cheers!
Ben
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1320 Posts

Profile of bond19
I have a fantastic presentational idea using the White Star Revisited method with a 'Movie Star / Oscars' theme...
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1141 Posts

Profile of caigy
The 'White Star Revisited' method is definitely worth the little extra practice and familiarity required...a real gem.

Paul Mc.

www.psychicmentality.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » White Star by Jim Critchlow (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7..14~15~16 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL