The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Does this seem familiar? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Very familiar...and not a bad theme twist really.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6443 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
As usual, someone sees another person's great premise and presentation and then steals the idea. Of course, they always say they changed it and made it their own. In this case it will be, "But I have the Titanic theme... it's completely different."

Would they have come up with that idea if they never saw Derren perform his routine? Probably not.

Thieves helping thieves. It's a shame.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Thieves helping theives? Who is helping? I hope you don't mean me! I just brought it up as the Titanic seemed a bit fishy to me!
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1934 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
If we're going for bad taste, I could do the same trick with Holocaust pics.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6443 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2008-05-29 16:59, Dr Spektor wrote:
Thieves helping theives? Who is helping? I hope you don't mean me! I just brought it up as the Titanic seemed a bit fishy to me!

I didn't mean you at all. I meant that it happens a lot in this community. Someone sees some other person's effect or presentation and then puts it in shiny box and sells it.

Believe me, I wasn't directing it at you Dr. Spektor... just the general atmosphere I see here from time to time.
Now if they state somewhere that they got Derren's permission or his team then my bad. But just because you came up with a new spin on something that someone else put out doesn't mean you can instantly market it as your own.
I guess I can put out Free Will if I use cubes instead of wooden chips or put out Heirloom but I don't use a photo I have a child's drawing that I explain my psychic kid did. And the list is endless. It just boggles my mind that people get away with this time and time again.
My only hope is that those people end up inventing the coolest effect on the planet and then someone else comes out and steals it from them in the same way. I'm sure they will be very happy to promote the other person's product.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I guess I did not read the ad carefully enough...I thought the effect was a copy of "From Hell".

I now see more was going on here.
The Wizard of Hearts
View Profile
Veteran user
Tulsa, Oklahoma
323 Posts

Profile of The Wizard of Hearts
Isn't it a copy/ripoff of From Hell? What am I missing here, Eddie?
BillyTheSquid
View Profile
Veteran user
My bamboo hut's supported on
331 Posts

Profile of BillyTheSquid
Which came first? From Hell (v1) or DB's undertaker scene of OOTW?

Seems a blatant rip off of From Hell (priced exactly the same too - coincidence? LOL).

Maybe we should say this is a blatant rip of of OOTW instead? Which brings me to ask - at which point does taking someone's card effect and dressing it up with something other than playing cards depart from plagarism?
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2008-05-30 12:42, BillyTheSquid wrote:
Which came first? From Hell (v1) or DB's undertaker scene of OOTW?

OOTW by Paul Curry in the forties.

I have not seen the "DB undertaker" scene...was it essentially the same effect in new garb?
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Hi Folks

Just thought I should point out that although based on an OOTW style of effect, its not only the theme and presentation that's different from The Undertaker and From Hell but it has a completely different method as well.

Jim does go into great detail about this in the book that comes with the effect.
askernas
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
294 Posts

Profile of askernas
According to the notes on "From Hell" it mentions the OOTW routine by Derren Brown, so If I'm nit going out on a limb, I would say that DB's Undertaker routine came first, and inspired these other versions ...

For those of you who have not seen the Derren Brown version, check out this youtube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U0OsSNYb0E

I especially like his closing remark... goes well with his smug smile at that point! Smile
Micke Askernäs
www.askernas.com
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1429 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Wizard of Heart -

One feature of White Star is that you let the spectators choose the images they want to keep, then you DON'T need to adjust the packets/piles in any way at all. No switches or swapping etc etc. Just sit back if you want and let them read about the people they selected, and watch them discover for themselves what the passangers all have in common.
carl
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of carl
This sounds like "Split Reality" with different pictures to emulate Derren's "Undertaker" effect.. but I might be wrong.. If so, I guess it's a rip off Split Reality really..
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Considering none of us here discussing this apparently own this effect, I think it would be premature to do anything less than take Dominic at his word. Perhaps one of us could actually purchase it and provide a review before we actually go out and crucify someone. Come on, guys, we're starting to act like the mentalists.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2008-05-31 11:23, Mark Raven wrote:
Come on, guys, we're starting to act like the mentalists.

Mark

ARGGGGGGGG!!!

<<quickly starts taking a shower in hydrochloric acid and uses a steel wool brush to begin washing off the taint>>

ARGGGGGGGGH!!!!

Actually, the idea of getting it sounds good! As I said, it looks familiar and was hoping someone would shed light on this (someone who owns it)...

Heck, I might take the plunge since I own a few versions of FROM HELL... let me go coint my 1888 pennies and see if I can scrape up some $ to do so...
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
I've just had a group mail from a well known UK based bizarrist who states that this doesn't use the Paul Curry principle, and that the effect was a personal routine for many years before Dan's excellent work.
So I guess it's time to flex that plastic for me... Smile
Review soon!
Steve
[
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Good deal. I'm looking forward to what you both have to say. I'm interested, just broke at the moment. All my extra money went into plane fare for this summer. Let's just hope my plane doesn't do a Titanic. Man, I hate flying.
What would Wavy do?
docsteve
View Profile
Inner circle
1831 Posts

Profile of docsteve
OK - not a review (haven't performed it yet), but an update having read the material.
There is a nice new 'wrinkle' associated here, although I have to say the method may not suit many as much as the standard OOTW.
The materials included are excellent - really really excellent.
Jim Critchlow's manuscript is well credited and uniformally brilliant throughout; the cards themselves, with the background stories attached are fascinating. They will generate a huge ammount of interest in any close up performance.
In the UK £30 is a fair price; for the boys in the US? I'm a little concerned it may be too much if you already have Dan's work, especially with postage costs.

More to follow (gigging Friday night - will perform there after show in bar).
Steve
[
askernas
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
294 Posts

Profile of askernas
I'm thinking about getting this as well. That is in spite of me having From Hell v2 AND v3 already.. Smile

Thanks for the quick overview of the thing, Doc.

One big reason why I all of a sudden consider this one .. is that I got in touch with a collector of Titanic memorabilia earlier today, that has lots of duplicates of reproduced items from the Titanic .. such as ticket's, menu's and a lot of other things..

After that .. I was sort of thinking .. "hmmm... maybe I should get that White Star after all"... I may be able to do a Curator-esque time capsule ! Smile
Micke Askernäs
www.askernas.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Does this seem familiar? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL