The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » I have mistakenly posted... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1066 Posts

Profile of BCS
I have mistakenly posted 2 comments in the wrong forum, please forgive me. So I am posting them here.

Sort of along your topic… I have never realized that there were so many Gospel type magicians until I joined TMC. Have any of you ever got in trouble with hard core fundamentalists tying magic tricks into Christian beliefs? I thought that I once read that Muhammad Ali was a Christian and into magic. Because of his beliefs, after his performances he would always espouse how his tricks were done. He did not want to take away from the miracles of Christ.
Thanks,
Bruce

Thanks for your comments, I am not associated with any religion, I am trying to become familiar with all aspects of TMC. How long has “Gospel Magic” been around? Is this a 19th or 20th century phenomenon? From what magic books that I have read, the Tarbell books are the earliest ones I have read referencing “Gospel Magic.” Are there non-Christian religions that use magic to spread their message?

Again thanks… sorry if I am hijacking this post,
Bruce
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-05-29 17:46, BCS wrote:
I have mistakenly posted 2 comments in the wrong forum, please forgive me. So I am posting them here.

Sort of along your topic… I have never realized that there were so many Gospel type magicians until I joined TMC. Have any of you ever got in trouble with hard core fundamentalists tying magic tricks into Christian beliefs? I thought that I once read that Muhammad Ali was a Christian and into magic. Because of his beliefs, after his performances he would always espouse how his tricks were done. He did not want to take away from the miracles of Christ.
Thanks,
Bruce

Thanks for your comments, I am not associated with any religion, I am trying to become familiar with all aspects of TMC. How long has “Gospel Magic” been around? Is this a 19th or 20th century phenomenon? From what magic books that I have read, the Tarbell books are the earliest ones I have read referencing “Gospel Magic.” Are there non-Christian religions that use magic to spread their message?

Again thanks… sorry if I am hijacking this post,
Bruce

Muhammad Ali is a follower of the Muslim faith, hence his mane change from Cassius Clay to his current moniker. He however is known to explain how his tricks work, not to diminish the supposed miracles of Jesus but because he looks upon conjuring as a form of lying and lying is a sin. Therefor to keep from lying he explains the workings of his effects. At least that's the way I heard it.

The sub-genre of Gospel Magic goes back only to the late 19th or early 20th Century and is also attributed with being the start of children's magic as well though very little research has been done in this particular field.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1066 Posts

Profile of BCS
Payne,
Thanks for setting me straight regarding Muhammad Ali. Was Gospel Magic accepted at first or did it gradually grow over the years. In your opinion, has it had its hay day or is it now?
Thanks,
Bruce
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Actually, Gospel magic was started in the early 1900's by a pastor who wanted to use magic to help teach bible to children. He was mentored by Thurston himself and from Gospel magic, children's magic was born.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Bruce
The FCM International Convention is July 14-20, 2008 in Marion Indiana at Indiana Wesleyan University. 500+ are expected to attend from many different countries.

Check out the website, http://www.fcm.org/
Member’s websites from A-Z, with many full timers.
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » I have mistakenly posted... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL