The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » young children's magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
alex cahill
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of alex cahill
Hey there,

I would like to know what you all think of starting being a children's magician at the age of 20 years old. Is this too young?
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
I don't think there is an age requirement for performing for children; however, I do believe that you MUST love children in general to be a children's magician. For some people, it's natural, but some go NUTS on the first sign of bad behavior or craziness.

Also, no matter what age you are, young or old, you must be able to emphasize that you are the adult and you are in charge. If at an age of 20, you have not developed the skills of taking charge with the kiddos, than performing for children may be quite a challenge/learning experience for you. But by all means, LEARN! The kids will thank you (and so will the parents). Smile
Tom
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
I agree with MagicTom: you MUST love children. But whatever happens - don't be discouraged. My first children's show (about 10 years ago at the age of 26ish) was an absolute disaster! I vowed never to entertain children again! However, I now do children's shows all the time and I love it! You'll get better with every show you do.
Mark
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I started performing magic for my peers when I was 10. It was just a hobby while I was at high school but when I turned 18 I made it my job and used the money I earned from magic to put me through University.

If you are 20 years old you are an adult. You are old enough to vote, drive, get married, buy alcohol and even be a parent yourself. Some would say you have a big advantage because you might find it easier to relate to children.

I know a magician in my city that does a very professional kids magic show and he has just turned 15.

I'm 28 now and am already feeling too old sometimes.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I'm entirely with Keeblem. Do not judge your show on its first, second, third or tenth performance. Hang in there and keep going.

I think the secret (apart from loving kids) is not about your age so much as it is about your experience. Keep doing them and they just keep getting better and better.

Cheers

Billy James
SethL52
View Profile
New user
Arab, Alabama
56 Posts

Profile of SethL52
Hello,

Well, here are my 2 cents. I'm 18 as of March 15th, but have been doing paid children shows for the past two years. I certainly do not think there is an age limit or restriction to kid show magician. Just have fun and make sure the kids have fun.
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
My son started when he was 14 and got respect as well as laughs from the kids

Smile
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
Evan
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Evan
I'm only 14 and I have started performing for kids and also close-up magic. I too get respect and laughs from the kids and adults at my shows.
SethL52
View Profile
New user
Arab, Alabama
56 Posts

Profile of SethL52
In other words, you're never too young or old to start.
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
It's your personality that is important, not your age. There're lots of older guys that try the children's magic path and fall off.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
So how do you go about developing this personality that will be acceptable and entertaining to children? Is it only acquired through experience and no theory behind it?
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
As you'll notice, we've gone almost through 25 years of it!!

I must admit that as I've got older it's got easier. Maybe this is just me? One point worth mentioning though is that when 19 out of every 20 parents now at parties are younger than me - THEY tend to do as I say more, and I find I can manipulate (if that's the right word) them better!! Some of them tend to call me "Mr" instead of "Tony" which makes me at the age of 53 feel like some sort of Yoda character (maybe I look like one) Smile But the point I'm making is when you can become a 'father' or 'mother' figure not only to the kids but the parents also it is rather nice.
Brendan Byrne
View Profile
New user
Ireland
44 Posts

Profile of Brendan Byrne
I did my first kids show 6 yrs ago at the age of eighteen. I guess I had a headstart as I was a student of Quentin Reynolds. Having said that, the first show went really well, all you could ask for--nice kids, nice family, laughed in all the right places. My second show, the next day, was a little different. The mother answered the door and quite snootily said, "Oh! I was expecting somebody older."

So in answer to your question, I don't think 20 is too young. By that age I was doing 2-3 parties a week at reasonably good fees.

I guess you have to ask yourself if you are really ready. I would recommend doing some free charity shows first and see how they go.

Hope this helps,
Brendan
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
I do parties and i'm 14 it's all how you deal with the kids Smile
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Children's magic is a great field. 20 is not too young to start performing by any means. A lot of people are much younger and are performing like these people, here. When you just start out, mention it to your friends and family and you will be able to get a lot of shows. The purpose of these shows would be to:
a) gain experience
b) gain exposure

Both will become the most valuable things you can ever start with in this business.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I did my first pro show at 10.

I am now 23 and have around 3000 kids parties under my belt.

20 is NOT too young.
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
Do you feel comfortable with and relate well to children?
Do you have entertaining story lines to go with you effects?
Do you have a fast pace, colorful performance, with a lot of audience participation?
Do you know about crowd control and have a quick wit?
Do you have the business end of things covered? Like...Insurance, bookkeeping, invoice, contract, marketing & sales.
Then you are ready no matter the age!
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
Well I will agree with everyone else here. I did my first kid show when I was 13 and haven't looked back since. I now do mostly kid shows and have never had a problem with age. When I was 16 I was doing walk around for Ryan's Steak House on there kids night. The management did not have a problem with my age as a kids performer. It is all how well you interact with the kids.
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
hear hear Smile
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Some years ago,a magician told me that he didn't work at kid's parties because he wasn't a nanny.I thought about that for a while.I noticed that besides doing my shows,I do many other things.Play with kids,sing,dance,do ballon animals just about anything to help them have a good time.

I don't consider my self as a kid's magician.I thing that when you work with kids you must learn more than just magic tricks.I have learned how to help them to become better kids by including positives messages during my show.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » young children's magician (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL