The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Getting To The Meetings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
I'm an IBM member; but I've never been to any of the local Ring meetings. I've gone to a couple of annual events; but no regular meetings. First of all, the one closest to me is still more than an hour drive from my house. That, coupled with my work schedule, makes getting there before the meeting is nearly over practically impossible and getting home early enough to see my wife and/or get enough sleep for the next day also a near impossibility.

I want to go and I can tell by those members who I see on those rare occasions that I'm missing out on some good stuff. But it just isn't a possibility. This bums me out.

Additionally, I've heard they request (not "make") that visitors and newbies perform for the group. I hate performing for other magicians. Makes me a nervous, bumbling wreck! I can perform an illusion for a group of strangers in a public place and be just fine. Put me in front of just one other magician - let alone a room full of them - and I can't properly perform the most simplest and well-rehearsed illusions that, otherwise, I could do in my sleep without error.

So I'm bummed that I can't make it and wish there was a group closer to home AND as much as I'm bummed, I"m equally terrified in going because I figure if I ever get the evening off when the meetings are scheduled that I'll show up, be pressured to perform and then mess up whatever it is I'd attempt.

I'm not really looking for help here - I'm just venting.
There's an Orlando, Florida Ring. I need at least a Kissimmee, Florida Ring to be able to make it.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
That's a common sickness...lol The only way to get over that is to just do it. I try to come up with stuff that the others may not be familiar with, so it will be a treat for them and helps me too.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Usually, when a club has a rule that a new member "show something," in order to join, it's a way for them to make sure new people are actually interested in magic. It's also a way for them to see something from someone else. As the ad says, "just do it!"

You might also think about starting another meeting in your area. Reach out to those you already know, and think about contacting the TVP for Florida. He/she can put you in touch with other IBM members who live in your area. Could be there are others in your situation that would like to have a meeting to go to but don't like the drive.

Good luck! Mark.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Every one of us has felt that "Performing for Magicians" anxiety...and we've all learned over time how silly it is to feel this way. Ask yourself, who is going to be more empathetic towards your butterflies than those who have been there and done that?

I'm very fortunate to be in a Ring with six people who have appeared on the cover of The Linking Ring and countless other magazines...three of them have served as IBM International presidents. One is the author of one of the most respected card magic newsletters and one of the best card magic book series on the market today. Several have performed at The Magic Castle, Las Vegas and at countless international competitions. And Yet, I would be hard-pressed to find a more supportive, friendly and caring group of people. They get it! Relax and have fun!

A year from now you'll be giving some anxious newbie this exact same advice..,.guaranteed. Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
On 2008-05-30 17:16, mrunge wrote:
Usually, when a club has a rule that a new member "show something," in order to join, it's a way for them to make sure new people are actually interested in magic. It's also a way for them to see something from someone else. As the ad says, "just do it!"

Mark has a point, but the main reason I've heard for including this requirement is to encourage a member's participation in future meetings. Ring meetings are largely about sharing and supporting one another. If we could just walk in, sit back and watch, the meetings would quickly center around aa few outgoing members while everyone else simply observed through unneccesary fear or anxiety. By requiring an initial performance (My Ring requires two performances on two separate meetings) they break the ice and this encourages future participation.

It's a good requirement - and I have never heard of anyone not being admitted or thrown out because of a lackluster performance. Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bendy,

Getting up before magicians isn't really very different. Often their anticipation even helps. They respect a job well-done and like surprises too. How could you lose.

(Confession time: I always shake when I being brave too! It's a matter of what you do anyway.)

Go for it!

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Erich Troudt
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of Erich Troudt
Every magician at some point goes through the being nervous in front of other magicians faze. The people above listed some very nice thoughts on the subject that might help you. Many of the same things were said to me when I went through it.

How did I finally get over it? It wasn't thinking nice thoughts like mentioned above, I had to think more extreme. It was the only thing that worked for me. Now this may not be for you, or anyone else for that matter, but it worked for me at the time. This is going to sound horrible, egotistical, cocky and rude. When I started going to magic club meetings and had to perform in front of its members, I did the following:

1. Picked out what I assumed or knew the weakest members in the club were and told myself "I'm way better than those guys. They suck, I'm better than half these people here."

2. Thought about the cool shows, audiences, and gigs I had done in the past. "these people haven't performed the great gigs like I do".

3. "I'm not performing here because I'm hoping they accept me, I'm perfoming here as a favor to them, so they can see some good magic done correctly for a change".

4. If someone really big time was there, "your here to see me because you heard I was good, and your nervous I'm gonna steal jobs from you. Checkin me out because your scared of competition".

Now, I told you this was extreme. I didn't really believe this stuff and I never said it outloud. I just gave me the confidence I needed. I walked up there feeling confident because of the extreme pep-talk.

If you really aren't going because what you must sacrifice (job, wife time, etc)is more important to you than the meeting, then that is a bummer. Hopefully someday one will be closer for you.

Performing for magicians is just a challenge. When you get comfortable at that, then you can figure out how not to be nervous in front of celebrities, royality, and on Live TV. The challenges never stop if you keep going forward.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
It's a good requirement - and I have never heard of anyone not being admitted or thrown out because of a lackluster performance. Smile

........ what a pity.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I'm glad you don't have to be perfect to be a member or there would be no members
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2008-05-30 17:18, Skip Way wrote:
A year from now you'll be giving some anxious newbie this exact same advice..,.guaranteed. Smile

You might wanna take that guarantee back! I'm more than half way into my second year as an IBM member. My schedule has yet to allow me to attend the meetings and long before I became an IBM member I had been a bumbling idiot when performing for other magicians!

Earlier this week, I drove out to Daytona Beach and performed street magic on camera for complete strangers - all day. Not a nervous wreck. Until I told one guy to hold onto a card tight, (because it was VERY windy). He proceeded to palm the card perfectly, (but palm-up). I asked if he did card magic and he nodded with a smirk on his face and a twinkle in his eye. BAM! Instant nervous wreck.
...He did have a strong card palm, though and didn't ruin my trick or expose anything. But that didn't stop me from having instant sweats, butterflies and stutters.

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 1:02am
The main reason I don't go isn't my fear of performing in front of other magicians. While that's a legitimate concern/fear, the main reason is scheduling. The meeting is just at an inconvenient time and quite a distance from work and home. Maybe I'll look into getting something together closer to home.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
That is a common problem with most Rings. As part of the Ring is composed of hobbyists and enthusiasts and part of the Ring may be working pro's, scheduling to meet everyone's schedule and location can be a nightmare. Our Ring solved this by hosting two sessions each month; one on the first Saturday of each month and one on the third Thursday. The Saturday session is our formal Ring and MYI meeting. The Thursday session is an "open mic/come-and-play" gathering.

Our meetings are also held on the far southwest side of the city; a fair distance for northeast residents to travel. While we're loath to split the Ring, we are considering hosting a satelite MYI meeting in the northeastern part of town.

In this vein, you might consider forming a satelite mid-month session in your area that fits a common schedule and use this group to carpool to the regular Ring meeting each month.

Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
I too have a busy schedule and a long way to travel to get to my ring meetings. I really boils down to dedication to the organization. At skips ring They cover a huge geographical area and it is not easy to get from one side of metro Raliegh to the other if you don't know where you are going. (I've missed the, meeting on two separate occasions that I was performing down there) Our ring is no easy task to get to as we are in metro DC and our meetings start right after evening rush hour. yet each month we have members travel 50- 60 miles to get to our meetings (Im one of them) I work in a very Busy service company and it is difficult for me to get there on time. But I do!

I don't know all the particulars of you organizations meeting But If you make the scheduling effort to be there you will get a great benefit from going.
as far as performing it is confidence thing. I don't care to perform before the ring for many reasons but occasional I will. I was asked to perform in our new members night show when I joined. The words just do it are really appropriate here because if you just get up there no matter how nervous you are you will one step ahead to becoming a better performer. Face your fears is a technique I teach in my public speaking seminars. get up there and do it.

}"Bob Sanders wrote... (Confession time: I always shake when I being brave too! It's a matter of what you do anyway.) " Bob I thought it was me making you nervous M }

Make the effort it will be worth it>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Getting To The Meetings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL