The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » "Guarded Hunt" By David Stone - Basic Coin Magic Volume 1 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
So I've always wanted to produce jumbo coins. I live in the desert, and its very hot here, one of the hottest states in the US, so I cannot wear a jacket to produce jumbo coins. It just isn't practical.

I want to master at least 2 tricks, and do them well. My favorite trick, by far, is just pretend. I want to master also, "Guarded hunt" by David stone. He teaches it in Basic Coin Magic volume 1.

Basically this is how it goes down. He produces coins from nowhere, from behind the spectator. Kind of like a Misers Dream. Then, as a grand finally, he produces a jumbo coin from thin air.

It looks pretty cool. And to do it, you don't need a jacket. Unfortunately, I find David Stone's instructions cryptic to say the least. I found David Roth's explanations much clearer. I'm a bit confused on the technique. I've watched the performance and explanation, over, and over, and over, trying to figure out the technique. Even when he explains it I do not get what he's trying to say/do.

I watched it for hours trying to figure it out, but I can't. I can't seem to understand the technique. I know the sleight used, but again, I'm not sure how to apply it. Do any of you coin guru's know this trick, or perform it, and perhaps could help me with it?

As a side note, I want to be able to perform this wearing shorts (with pockets of course). Is this practical? Again jackets are nice but kind of out of the question where I live.
RachelMilano
View Profile
New user
United States
83 Posts

Profile of RachelMilano
Hi Strange. I just watched David Stone's Guarded Hunt on his Basic Coin Magic dvd. You mentioned he produces the giant coin from thin air and you couldn't figure out the method he used. But he clearly takes the big coin from his coat pocket in the performance part of the dvd. Watching the explanation he does the same thing. Are we talking about the same effect? Guarded Hunt by David Stone? Rachel. Smile
I'd much rather regret something I've done than something I was too afraid to do. Have a great day. Rachel.
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-05-30 21:24, RachelMilano wrote:
Hi Strange. I just watched David Stone's Guarded Hunt on his Basic Coin Magic dvd. You mentioned he produces the giant coin from thin air and you couldn't figure out the method he used. But he clearly takes the big coin from his coat pocket in the performance part of the dvd. Watching the explanation he does the same thing. Are we talking about the same effect? Guarded Hunt by David Stone? Rachel. Smile

Hi Rachel. It's not him taking out the jumbo coin from his coat pocket that has me confused. I understand that part. It's making the half dollars before the jumbo coin production apppear from thin air next to the spectator that has me confused.

I know the sleight used, but I'm a bit confused on how he actually produces the half dollars from near the spectator.
remf3
View Profile
New user
Novato, California
67 Posts

Profile of remf3
I don't know of the particular routine that your writing about, but Stone does a jumbo coin production in another one coin routine you can watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFEpKmtwaxs&feature=related

If you watch closely enough, I'm sure you can work out the method. With careful misdirection, I'm sure this could be done in shorts and a t-shirt. One place I've found this same production in print is in Roth's Expert Coin Magic.

Once again, I'm not familiar with Guarded Hunt, but I hope this helps a bit...

edit: Doh! Just re-read your post. I guess you weren't looking for the method for the jumbo coin production but the whole thing. Sorry about that...
RachelMilano
View Profile
New user
United States
83 Posts

Profile of RachelMilano
Quote:
On 2008-05-30 21:30, Strange Tasting Fish Sticks wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-05-30 21:24, RachelMilano wrote:

Hi Rachel. It's not him taking out the jumbo coin from his coat pocket that has me confused. I understand that part. It's making the half dollars before the jumbo coin production apppear from thin air next to the spectator that has me confused.

I know the sleight used, but I'm a bit confused on how he actually produces the half dollars from near the spectator.

Going back to view the video again...will study it and see if I can help. Rachel.
I'd much rather regret something I've done than something I was too afraid to do. Have a great day. Rachel.
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-05-30 21:46, remf3 wrote:
I don't know of the particular routine that your writing about, but Stone does a jumbo coin production in another one coin routine you can watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFEpKmtwaxs&feature=related

If you watch closely enough, I'm sure you can work out the method. With careful misdirection, I'm sure this could be done in shorts and a t-shirt. One place I've found this same production in print is in Roth's Expert Coin Magic.

Once again, I'm not familiar with Guarded Hunt, but I hope this helps a bit...

edit: Doh! Just re-read your post. I guess you weren't looking for the method for the jumbo coin production but the whole thing. Sorry about that...

Remf3,

Yes, that is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! A great jumbo coin production wearing a t shirt and shorts.

You said david roth teaches this, does he teach it in his DVDs?

The problem with the way david stone produces it in that rountine there, is that when he goes to get the jumbo coin by putting his hands on his hips, he's wearing a jacket. I really can't wear a jacket here in the desert.

PS: I'm willing to shell out more money for david roths DVD jumbo coin production, if its the right one.
Evoker
View Profile
New user
Paris, France
77 Posts

Profile of Evoker
I believe you can stll do it without the jacket ... Keep the t-shirt out of the pants. That's how I do without the coat.
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Fish,
The technique used is called " the transfer" As you know, it's explained in great detail on the DVD. You show a coin in your left, transfer it to your right and apparently put the coin in your right hand in your pocket, but CP it instead. The key point is during the transfer of the coin from your left to right hands, visibly, you're transferring a coin from right to left, hidden to the audience. Don't forget. To begin the routine, you should be CPing two coins in the right hand. Watch it Caféfully, especially "the transfer" bit. It's all there.

Charlie Justice has something very similar that he calls the " Muscle Pass Pitch.
Should be self-explanatory. Difficult if you don't know how to MP. Can be found on Covert Coins.
Jim.
RachelMilano
View Profile
New user
United States
83 Posts

Profile of RachelMilano
You've got it Jimmy. The key point is the transfer. Watch it closely Fish and I think you will get it. Then it's just repetition to get it to look smooth. Good luck. Rachel. Smile
Zhang
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Zhang
WOW,

Dave stone is soo good and smooth,i want to be like him when I grow up.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Sometimes I just reach in the pocket or back pocket. its all in the misdirection, or motivation depending on the routine
doulos
View Profile
New user
Fort Worth, TX
61 Posts

Profile of doulos
If I remember correctly Garrett Thomas does a big coin production on the Live at the Jailhouse series (Disc1). This is in a Restaurant setting. The load is in the clothing, but he is not wearing a jacket. Pretty clever.

-Shoop
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

I'm still confused. Can someone explain how to do it better please?
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
This effect is absolutely amazing! I'm working on this effect. The sleights are relatively easy, but getting silky smooth like Stone is a huge challenge! Also, I think I would change the final coin into a copper coin, then go into a copper silver transpo or something. just my personal style.

evikshin
Ogre1234
View Profile
New user
Winnipeg, Canada
92 Posts

Profile of Ogre1234
Perhaps this discussion is better suited for the "Secret Sessions" area.
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2009-03-06 09:20, Ogre1234 wrote:
Perhaps this discussion is better suited for the "Secret Sessions" area.

With regards to discussion of the secret move, I agree.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » "Guarded Hunt" By David Stone - Basic Coin Magic Volume 1 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL