The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sessioning (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

remf3
View Profile
New user
Novato, California
67 Posts

Profile of remf3
I hope that I'm using the word correctly...

Finding this forum (The Magic Café) has been very fortunate for me. Not only do I get to ask some of the great minds in magic questions on a personal level, I've also managed to find a great community of like minded and very helpful people.

One great advantage is that I've met someone who lives close to me and is interested in the exact same areas of magic as I am. So far, we have met up one time and it was great! We shared ideas on routines that we were working on, showed each other moves to get feedback. Basically it beat a mirror or posting a video any day. Here was someone that was burning my hands worse than any lay person and giving me active feedback.

I wonder one thing though, is something like this advantageous for those of us starting in magic? I suppose that anyone can see the flash of a mishandled coin, but can one newb really be helpful in correcting another newb?

I admit, the greatest appeal is getting out of the house for a couple hours and talking magic with another person that's highly interested. I know that there is at least one magic club near me, but their meetings happen to take place on days that I am unable to attend.

Anyone else get so lucky as to find a "magic buddy" near them? Did you find it useful?

As an aside, I'm assuming this is what's meant by sessioning. I'm assuming I understand that definition. Please correct me if I'm wrong...
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
Quote:
On 2008-05-31 01:07, remf3 wrote:
I hope that I'm using the word correctly...

Finding this forum (The Magic Café) has been very fortunate for me. Not only do I get to ask some of the great minds in magic questions on a personal level, I've also managed to find a great community of like minded and very helpful people.

One great advantage is that I've met someone who lives close to me and is interested in the exact same areas of magic as I am. So far, we have met up one time and it was great! We shared ideas on routines that we were working on, showed each other moves to get feedback. Basically it beat a mirror or posting a video any day. Here was someone that was burning my hands worse than any lay person and giving me active feedback.

That sounds wonderful, I am very happy to hear this!
Quote:
I wonder one thing though, is something like this advantageous for those of us starting in magic? I suppose that anyone can see the flash of a mishandled coin, but can one newb really be helpful in correcting another newb?

I think you already answered that question above. Identifying what may need improvement is a very important part of learning. I would think that in actually correcting the sleight/handling, it might be a benefit to go back to the study material alone. For all the rest I am sure 2 is better than 1.
Quote:
I admit, the greatest appeal is getting out of the house for a couple hours and talking magic with another person that's highly interested. I know that there is at least one magic club near me, but their meetings happen to take place on days that I am unable to attend.

Anyone else get so lucky as to find a "magic buddy" near them? Did you find it useful?

I have not met with anyone else that is interested in magic, but since I have recently moved to another country, it might be a good place to start.
Quote:
As an aside, I'm assuming this is what's meant by sessioning. I'm assuming I understand that definition. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

I agree with your definition. Others might want to chip in here, if the exact definition is important.

Michael
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
It's a great idea to practice with some-one. You're more likely to get quality practice rather than simply repeating the smae mistakes.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Another advantage to practicing with someone is, they will honestly tell you you flashed. When you perform in the mirror you may be likely to interpret what you see very favorably to yourself.." I didn't flash MUCH, or I really did not flash for too long...it was JUST a flash." I think having an honest magician to session with will help cause he or she will tell you.." Buddy...not good."

I think you would be best off, to alternate... practice alone with the source material, to learn properly, then practice with your friend... to see if you do it properly while being observed.

Another reason I think alternating is better, you learn the technique of the sleight better when alone with the DVD or mirror. But you learn better abour misdirection, and how to perform while having your hands burned...when there is someone there to misdirect, or to actually burn your hands.

And remember you want your technique so perfect that it can stand having your hands burned, and your misdirection so perfect that they don't burn your hands at all Smile

Last. As Important as technical skill is... please do NOT neglect Misdirection. It IS the cornerstone of our art. When Darwin was teaching his dump vanishj he said.." Under the cover of that much misdirection...I can sneak an elephant into my pocket... no one would know." I think that is what we should aim for. Being able to sneak an elephant into our pocket, and have no one know Smile
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Don't forget routining or presentation. Sure, get the sleight down, but sometimes we forget about tehe whole picture when working with other magicians because we just want to concentrate on the sleights.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

I try that out by doing a patter per month and getting peer feed-back. We've also started going a guests to each others shows and giving feed-back. It's worked really well this week-end and gives us a basis for our session tomorrow.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
vpatanio
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of vpatanio
I'm jealous. Smile

You have a great thing going!

-Vinny
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Vinny,

there seem to be only five or six magicians to 3.5 million people here(so that's around 10,000 birthdays every day!)

One magician is a close friend, parent of three kids and my Mentor. Yesterday, he watched me at one party; today I watched him at his daughters birthday party. Yesterday, he also watched a Philopino Magician at another party; I think I'm watching this magician do a class party on Tuesday at Pizza Hut (I'm the teacher so get the night off).

If there were more magicians here we'd probably form a club, but at the moment we're happy with informal arrangements. But we are very busy with school, Church, family etc so I'm not sure a weekly club night would suit us.

Why not ask around at local magic shops and seem what you can set up?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The correct way is to do what Jimmy (jcards01) suggests.
Use the sleights in a routine.
Misdirection plays a vital role in magic and only by routining and patter can you truly know if it is effective.
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Jaz is right. I remember the first effect I did over and over as soon as I learned it was Dai Vernon's handling of "Twisting the Aces". I would do it for specs every chance I got, Not just because the effect kicks *** But because it gave me a great opportunity to practice Elmsley Counts.

Now I do it but with an Elmsley Count/Jordan Count, display last ace.. This way I can practice Elmsley counts and Jordan counts in the same routine. Also, it gets to where I do not do the same count over and over and over again, but need to focus on what count I am actually doing.
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Folks gather at a local magic shop on Saturday afternoons for lunch and for talk, which usually is about magic, but sometimes is about all sorts of other things. The shop closed and three of us gathered with a bunch of customers and talked and demonstrated magic for a little while afterwards. The customers left and we talked magic, taught each other a few sleights and had a great time for another couple of hours. It was a great experience.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
jocce
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of jocce
Quote:
As Important as technical skill is... please do NOT neglect Misdirection

I have to side with Tommy Wonder here and say that imo, "controlling attention" is vital. Part of that can be misdirection but a lot of it is also the other way around.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
I'm not sure a weekly club night would suit us.

It doesn't have to be weekly, why not a monthly club meeting?

As for sessioning, I consider myself lucky to have a local magic shop where I watch and learn new things from people like Carroll Baker, Brandon Williams and Justin Miller.

Now if I could only get over that darn fear of performing my stuff in front of normal folk, then I'd be ok! Smile
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
magic-upclose
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of magic-upclose
Sounds like you found some good sessioning partners. Don't take them for granted!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Sessioning (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL