The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Closeup Drawing Duplication (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Elliott, I like the bonus DVD with Richard's "No Camera's Tricks." I got a lot more than I expected. Here are some reviews on it: http://magic.about.com/od/magicreview/fr/080707osterlind.htm

It can be purchased at: http://osterlindstore.com/catalog/produc......ts_id/76

Majestic, you will love "Osterlind Design Duplication System", Mind Mysteries volume 7. I was amased when I first saw it.
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
I agree with Dynamike -go for O.D.D.S. Very pure methodology but with many hidden subtleties. So much scope for a skilled and individualistic presentation and with a truly powerful impact. Richard sells the cards for this effect as well.With respect to my two pet effects O.D.D.S and 'Test Conditions'I have reason to be very grateful to Richard for his generosity in constantly sharing with others the very best of his fruit.
bear trees
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
263 Posts

Profile of bear trees
Also asking people to get OO is like asking to get a copy of pure effect for a tenner.It aint never gonna happen bro.

Jason
The Game
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
177 Posts

Profile of The Game
Even after you get OO, it is very hard to master.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24089 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Poison, I can understand you are heavy with billet switching. If you never tried Richard's "Center Tear Pads", I advise you to give it a try. The paper is thinner and glossy. Eveything works in more of a smother manner. If you are not satified with the paper I will purchase it from you because I use it a lot.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2008-06-01 11:41, abraxus wrote:
if I'm somewhere slightly well to do, then I'll use my own little method involving an envelope that they've sealed their drawing up in and signed the licked flap (matron!)...

What's your rationale/motivation for having the volunteer seal their own drawing in an envelope, when they can more simply just hold onto it and conceal it from everyone's view themselves without the envelope?

Arnon

P.S. This is like Chris Bolter's serial divination, which he performed last night in the Parlour at the Magic Castle. He had a volunteer seal his folded dollar bill in an envelope, and hold onto it during Chris' divination of it on a pad, until just before the theatrical moment of the reveal. The envelope was mere surplusage -the volunteer could have simply held onto his bill instead. Obviously, the use of the envelope was method-driven rather than presentation-driven.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18486 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Arnon - its performed as a test-conditions piece, so its folded up neatly by them, sealed by them, and signed across the flap by them...we come back to it later during the gig as it takes me a tiny while to get into the "zone" for replication of other people's thoughts...

putting it into an envelope makes it look as fair as possible, and stops the participant getting sore arms...

occasionally I produce a bag of similar envelopes, with dummy pieces of paper in it, they don't sign the flap, but they do drop it into the bag and mix them all up..i find it and then describe their drawing...
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Thanks - sounds like that would work very well for you.

I like the use of the same category of prop (similar envelopes) in other effects as well, for continuity of look, plus, IMO, a subtle way to condition the audience to the use of such props, which will sooner or later make the envelopes "psychologically invisible" to the audience. Do you agree?

Arnon
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18486 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I suppose - though I've never been fond of that grand title "psychologically invisible" - plain speaking you're right though, they are "just envelopes"...

envelopes are good...
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I agree. I have always used envelopes in my act and in all my years of performing, they have never been questioned or queried. And two of my prize effects - Penetration and Empathalope are envelope based.

It is just a case of using them incidently, like a pad of paper.
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2343 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Test Conditions = great way to do "unneeded" things while improving conviction.

This is assuming you do it well of course.
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1777 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
The earlier mentioned Kuffs method along with the very similar Alain Nu method are both excellent & on top of it all they leave your business card in the spectators hand.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2008-06-03 15:02, abraxus wrote:
I suppose - though I've never been fond of that grand title "psychologically invisible" - plain speaking you're right though, they are "just envelopes"...

envelopes are good...

"Psychologically invisible" is a term of art in our field - it is neither grand nor trivial. It has been used by the top thinkers in mentalism, and need be neither exalted nor belittled. I used it neutrally.

IMO, if you're going to perform in a "test conditions" context, then I would vote for Harvey Rosenthal's business card method over Kuffs' "Bold Business" and the commercially marketed "Business Minded" (though both of them are very good too).

On 2008-06-03 15:26, NeilS wrote:
Quote:
I agree. I have always used envelopes in my act and in all my years of performing, they have never been questioned or queried. And two of my prize effects - Penetration and Empathalope are envelope based.

It is just a case of using them incidently, like a pad of paper.

Neil: Are your two effects available, and if so, how can they be purchased?

Arnon
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18486 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2008-06-03 22:32, Arnon wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-03 15:02, abraxus wrote:

envelopes are good...

"Psychologically invisible" is a term of art in our field - it is neither grand nor trivial. It has been used by the top thinkers in mentalism, and need be neither exalted nor belittled. I used it neutrally.

IMO, if you're going to perform in a "test conditions" context, then I would vote for Harvey Rosenthal's business card method over Kuffs' "Bold Business" and the commercially marketed "Business Minded" (though both of them are very good too).

Arnon

give it a rest arnon...

10 syllables is far too much for my tiny brain to contend with on a daily basis, I have a surprising background in writing (for my other job) in a Plain English standard, where you have to reduce down aeolistic paragraphs into easily understood chunks of info.

Which is then read out via screen-reading software such as JAWS for visually-impared people.

Anyway, drop the teacher/lawyer hats please...
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18486 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I just thought, it's also a quick and easy way to get a second person involved with the next effect, if they miss with their drawing its "never mind, we all need time to warm up our mental faculties..." and then name anything positive in their drawing that may be similar..if they hit, even partially..

"spectacular - thank you both so much, would you be kind enough to stay with me for this next experiment, thank you..."

and just send back the original drawer back with a thanks and a round of applause...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Closeup Drawing Duplication (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL