We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Secret Art of Monkey Business (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I just watched Matthew Johnson's new DVD The Secret Art of Monkey Business. There is practical, solid, great material for the working performer in here. In particular, his new handling of the knife through finger (with great new ending handling) is superb and ,to use the over used phrase, "worth the price of the DVD". However, here if I just learned this one routine I'd feel I got my money's worth.

Recommended.

Tim
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Tim's recommendation is good enough for me. I'm going to get it.
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Originally when Matthew put out his knife through finger (it was in an old set of notes or an old lecture video) my buddy Dean Dill worked it up and was frying people with it. The new ending Matthew includes is really a fooler. This is a great piece you can do over and over. It is based on a Peter Kane idea but taken to a whole new level.

Tim
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Tim, thanks for sharing the info as folks have been asking about this!

Matthew is a talented Magician from Canada. He works bars, restaurants, etc. I have some of his marketted effects and he knows what works. I think this is the first time we'll see him on video ( DVD ) so I think we're in for a treat.

Here's a video clip:MONKEY BUSINESS
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
When Chris speaks, I listen.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-06-01 17:14, Andi Peters wrote:
When Chris speaks, I listen.

Oh, thanks very much. I'm just like everyone else that loves performing magic that gets gasps, or other reactions that make you feel like you performed a miracle.

I have and use Matthew's Vanishing Card Case. The DVD says it's improved, so I'm very interested in that.

Penguin has a really good price on this and is also running some specials.

Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
One of other things I forgot to mention... Matthew has structured all of the routines on this DVD so that they are set to go again. He talks about this at the get go as he obviously doesn't want to be off in the corner resetting during a paid gig. There are no far fetched techniques here... just strong, practical, usable material. I also liked the card on head, the card through bill, etc.

Tim
mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
Tim,

Thanks for the kind words about my new release! This DVD truly was a labour of love and has been a long time in the making (as you know). I am happy with the end result. I too feel that the material is tried, tested and strong! (although I am a little bias)

Christopher can you PM me again at my new username (this one) as I had to change accounts as I lost the old login info.

I hope everyone enjoys "The Secret Art of Monkey Business" and if you have any questions I am only to pleased to help!

Matt

P.S. My favourite routine on the DVD is "Jack is Back" :o)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Matt is going to send me his DVD for review ( thanks Matt ).

Everyone should realize while I don't know Matt personally, I've been a fan of some of his products for many years ( I still use them ). The DVD says there are product demos, so I know I'm going to like those effects.

As for what else is on the DVD I'll have to see. Matt said no strings attached on the review and I appreciate that.

immr1drfl
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of immr1drfl
Can't wait for your review Chris!
mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
The DVD went out to Chris yesterday!

I chose to send this to Chris as I do not know him personally & I have never had the pleasure of meeting Chris, however he seems to like my effects and has supported me in the past by buying some of them. Chris is also a well respected contirbutor here at the MagicCafe so I figure who better to give honest critique! (Hope it's good! :o)

By the way Chris the $20.00 is in the DVD case ;o)

MJ
tattoomagician
View Profile
New user
PARIS
36 Posts

Profile of tattoomagician
Hello everybody!
I bought this dvd and I am very interested in it. Good performance, simple but very effectives and direct routines. That's a great dvd with a sympathic magician who shows commercials and funny tricks, they are set to go again. I recommend this DVD for magicians practicing close-up. Good job Matthew!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Cedric, thanks for the good word on this DVD!

Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Hi All,

I just picked this up and can't wait to watch it. I've known Matt for a couple of years now and can attest to his "Worker" status. He's a full-time pro, crazy nice guy, and a superb performer. I'll be writing something up in the next couple of weeks fo sho.

~jdg
http://www.whatizit.net
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Dick Barry
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Dick Barry
Justed viewed "MONKEY BUSINESS". Excellent material and well produced DVD. I enjoyed everything he did. It is powerful magic, yet easy to do and well explained! Keep them coming Matthew! (I may be prejudice because he uses my RING FLIGHT.)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Dick, everyone repsects and values your opinions. Thanks for letting us know!

mjdowden
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of mjdowden
I had the pleasure of meeting Matt at a lecture he did here in the UK and he is a real worker, a fantastic thinker and a really nice guy.

I agree with Tim that the knife through finger is worth the price of the DVD alone. You won't be disappointed!!!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I have the DVD and will post a proper review soon. But...the knife through finger is a gasper. It looks so real.

mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
Wow!

Great feedback from so many great magicians who I admire!

It truly is a great feeling when other magicians like your material. That's why I do this, it makes it all worth while :o)

MJ
Paul Romhany
View Profile
V.I.P.
New Zealand
798 Posts

Profile of Paul Romhany
I just got off a cruise ship where I also performed a close-up show as well as my stage act. Prior to leaving I watched Monkey Business and learnt the Four Ace routine on there. I performed Matthews McDonalds Ace routine plus his amazing 4 ace production to start. This, in my humble opinion, is one of the cleanest and most well thought out four ace routines I've ever seen.

What makes it so great is that when you finish the routine, you can re-set in front of your audience and you are ready to move on to the next table. This is perfect for walkaround restaurants etc. Actually the entire DVD is perfect for any performer who works in the 'real' world because all the routines are instantly re-set.

All the routines on this DVD are fantastic and if you perform ANY type of close-up magic then you are going to get a lot out of this. Thanks so much Matthew for releasing this DVD ... it's one of my favourites!!
"life is like a movie ... you write your own ending" - Kermit the Frog

http://extrememagicmakeover.com

http://www.paulromhany.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Secret Art of Monkey Business (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL