The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Strolling gig (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

beds
View Profile
Regular user
isle of wight uk
192 Posts

Profile of beds
Working a gig in a fortnight for a work colleague and although I'm mainly a close up guy will throw a few mentalism effects in such as radio sum total as like that routine, anyone got any suggestions on other effects from the osterlind mind mysteries and easy to master series as cant remember off tp of my head, also any other workable close up mentalism routines

lastly any mobile phone effects as never performed a mobile effect and would like to see some

cheers
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
To be honest, the best advice is to only perform the effects that you can do in your sleep.......not to at this late stage throw in stuff that have had no performance time under the belt.....
You want to pick 3 or 4 effects that you have been using for a year or so, that require little or no set-up, or instant reset, require no special angles, can be worked with low lighting, a noisey background, and don't need a table, indeed should be worked up at shoulder height for everyone to see......

not sure that's what you want to hear, but want to be honest with you.

Dave
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
bear trees
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
263 Posts

Profile of bear trees
Nuff said
vai
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of vai
If you really feel you have to include "new" material, I would suggest maybe presenting an existing effect differently ?

A different presentation can give a completely different feel to an effect

Good luck with the performance, let us know how it goes

All the best

Vai
Check out my releases at http://stores.lulu.com/mentalism
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
As to mental effects utilizing a cell phone, Bill Cushman has a killer in his new ebook release, Mental Index. HIGHLY recommended. I will be posting a full review in the next few days. Cheers.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
The problem with doing mentalism in this setting is that there is usually so many things that are going on around the place that it causes the people to become distracted. Most mentalism requires the spectator's undivided attention. That type of performing situation is not very good for mentalism. Smile
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2008-06-01 21:09, dpe666 wrote:
The problem with doing mentalism in this setting is that there is usually so many things that are going on around the place that it causes the people to become distracted. Most mentalism requires the spectator's undivided attention. That type of performing situation is not very good for mentalism. Smile

100% Agreed!

J
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Guy, sorry if I came on a little strong, but anyone who "works" will give the same advice, dpe666, I fully agree with you post, that's why I tend to keep mentalism out of my general / walkabout close-up, and save it for better suied gigs, Christopher, Bill may have a "Killer cell phone effect" in his new book, but Killer routines don't evolve in 2 week, but over the course of many years and many performances carefully grafting together the MO and the performer's personalality untill the effect is no longer Bill's, but Yours........then it becomes a Killer effect.....

markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1942 Posts

Profile of markthorold
May I suggest you purchase a Brainwave Deck to utilise with your mobile phone if you only have a short time to "get it down" for your gig.Also invest in one of the multitude of p**k wallets that are available.
Regards Mark
E.O.I
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
And remember when doing walk-around, you have about 2 mins max for each piece. Longer than that just does not work unless you are at a table.
I say this after doing a shedload of gigs, it's not a guess.

And as has already been said, stick to stuff you know as much as you can - but do not be afraid to try someting new. Just frame it by saying 'this is something I have been working on for a few months, it may not work, but I'll try anyway beacause if it works, well, it should be great'.

Becuase we all have to take new things into the real world at some point. Smile
beds
View Profile
Regular user
isle of wight uk
192 Posts

Profile of beds
I'm not afraid to try new things otherwise we would all do the same tricks our whole working life nothing wrong with that but I do like to change, only so many times I can parade a trick for my family before they get bored of it!
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
And that's the difference, between the fulltime performer and the hobbiest, the fulltime performer does the same act for a different audience where as the hobbiest does diffrent tricks for the same audience......

In the old days we were booked "Act as seen".......

but then, hey what do I know......just saying what was said to me......

Here's a thought, maybe you should ask Mr Osterlind what he thinks.......(?)

Dave

Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
I would suggest you take Doctor REvil's (and other's) advice and do effects that you know totally inside out and won't get thrown by some unsuspected occurance.

To try out new material, when you aren't really experienced in this type of work, could lead to a disaster. If you want to do a mentalism effect or 2, and you really haven't worked them out, you could probably put a mentalism slant on something you already do. Probably half the card effects out there can be made into mentalism if you think about it.

To be frank, when I first read your initial post and you mentioned Radio Sum Total, I was a bit shocked. This is just the opposite of what I would ever do in your situation. Something real simple that is almost self-working is much more safe.

Please think about it carefully as we all want you to succeed and have a great show!

Richard
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2008-06-02 11:39, Richard Osterlind wrote:
I would suggest you take Doctor REvil's (and other's) advice and do effects that you know totally inside out and won't get thrown by some unsuspected occurance.

To try out new material, when you aren't really experienced in this type of work, could lead to a disaster. If you want to do a mentalism effect or 2, and you really haven't worked them out, you could probably put a mentalism slant on something you already do. Probably half the card effects out there can be made into mentalism if you think about it.

To be frank, when I first read your initial post and you mentioned Radio Sum Total, I was a bit shocked. This is just the opposite of what I would ever do in your situation. Something real simple that is almost self-working is much more safe.

Please think about it carefully as we all want you to succeed and have a great show!

Richard

Depending on how skilled you might be, I'd suggest you do a couple of spoon bends.

Using a phone, you might consider the many uses that a cell phone with bluetooth can do for you....

Numeroloy ala tic-tac-toe is also handy, assuming of course you're skilled at both this and/or cold reading.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Let me qualify my recommendation up front ... I don't do strolling gigs ...

BUT, IF I DID ... I would do something that ends with my business card in their hand ... anything, a prediction, (like change in the pocket, or predicting the date of their coin) ... or a magic square.

Good luck!!!

Oscar
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Strolling gig (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL