The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » You're a magician...let's see a trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-06-03 14:17, Dannydoyle wrote:
Did you miss the part where I said whatever anyone else does for them is 100% right?

I thought you were quite clear.

One guy: I always leave my car parked outside in the winter. I feel when it snows heavy, it looks like a hallmark card with just the cars roof showing.

Other guy: Actually, the snow can have a corrosive effect on the car and it's best to keep it indoors, if you can.

First guy: How dare you tell me I don't know how to drive.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-06-03 14:56, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-03 14:17, Dannydoyle wrote:
Did you miss the part where I said whatever anyone else does for them is 100% right?

I thought you were quite clear.

One guy: I always leave my car parked outside in the winter. I feel when it snows heavy, it looks like a hallmark card with just the cars roof showing.

Other guy: Actually, the snow can have a corrosive effect on the car and it's best to keep it indoors, if you can.

First guy: How dare you tell me I don't know how to drive.

Thus we sum up the problem rampant on the Magic Café'.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Let's see, how do I put this....hmmmm..... "Dude, you seem like you're looking for a reason to get bent."

Magicians gave you answers but it sounds to me like you did not and still don't want to here anything contrary to what it is that you believe is the "right" answer.

You can handle the situation any way you want and it can be the right answer for you in that situation. It's all in the delivery. It's why one person can tell a joke and have it bomb and another guy can tell the same joke and have them rolling on the floor.

My wife runs a company that is owned by an entrepreneur. She related to me a story about him. He was at a meeting and he was asked about increasing the size of his donation to a particular organization. He could have answered in a bunch of different ways and each way would have had a different effect. He replied to the question with a calm friendly smile and said "You know, I think I comfortable with the present size of my donation."

I think that it doesn't necessarily matter which way you go because in the end, it's not what you say, but how you say it...

Quote:
On 2008-06-03 13:38, ldl1017 wrote:
When I post on this forum, I do not have what I consider, pie in the sky expectations regarding the responses. The assumptions that take place are without a doubt mind-boggling. I state that I attend a party and engage in conversation with another partygoer. This conversation ultimately takes the natural course of where do you work and what do you do for a living. I mention that I am an entertainer. I do not volunteer that I am a magician, but seeing as I am not a social misfit and I am above playing useless word games about my vocation (as was suggested by another poster), I answer the individuals natural question as to what I do in the entertainment industry. The leaps that the members of this forum took were amazing. I was told point blank that if I did not want anyone to know what I did for a living then I should have basically kept my mouth shut. It was inferred that possibly I am not making my sole living doing magic, so I do not worry about marketing myself 24/7. It was suggested that I should always be ready to “get into character”. I do not live by the “3 Foot Rule”. I don’t tell anybody that comes within 3 feet of me what I do and I don’t try to contrive a situation where I or one of my stooges has to bring up what I do so that I may have an opportunity to perform and pass out my cards. Magic is my living. I am always looking for new business and having been in sales for the majority of my adult life (30 plus years) I know where and when to solicit business and try to make new contacts so as to “keep the roof over my head and feed the kids”. The implication here seems to be that since I brought up what I do, I should step up to the plate and perform. If I do not, I am regarded as less than professional. It was suggested that if I truly wanted to relax, I should have made sure it did not come up. Only a social Neanderthal would take this approach. When asked the natural question of what one does to earn a living, how do you steer the conversation away from what you do without looking like and idiot? It’s ludicrous to propose that I be evasive about my occupation. Granted people don’t meet magicians every day of their lives. But, there’s lots of occupation’s that are unique and we do not ask for demonstrations of there talents. I graciously declined and moved on. I was merely curious what the rest of you thought. Some of you agreed with how I handled it and some of you vehemently disagreed. Those that disagreed, did so to the point of saying that if I did not perform I am not a professional…”Like your almost NOT a pro”.
I have been a member of this Café since 2002. I have 237 posts to date. This is not a large number at all. It is the assumptive gall and the cynicism within this community that keeps me from posting more frequently. Before anyone gets bent out of shape, I do want to say that this forum has many, many talented performers. That’s the reason I keep coming back.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Kaliix,
No matter what the tone of the discussion, your opening statement is a bit offensive. I had to actually look the comment up just to make absolutely certain I wasn't over reacting. I don't believe everything I read on the internet but various sources cited "get bent" as the verbal equivalent of giving someone the finger or telling them to go !@#$ themselves. Maybe when all is said and done, this type of post sums up what is sadly rampant on the Café. I am far from the type of person that cringes from some verbal attacks, but this is way over the top.
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You actually had to look up "get bent"? LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Yes, Danny. Before I responded, I wanted to do some fact checking. I thought I was right, but as I said, I didn't want to over react. It surprised me to see it here on a post, so I thought maybe, just maybe, I have a definition wrong. Better safe than sorry.
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Hi danny, et al...

What are we all trying to say here? Just curious...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
First off I never said "get bent", though I have to admit I chuckled a bit when I read it.

I simply said that it is completly in your control whether or not you tell someone you are a magician.

I am saying that once you make that choice to tell people, certain things out of your control wil begin to happen.

I am saying that it will look bad for you and strain credability, if you choose not to perform, no matter HOW you choose to frame it.

I am saying also that whatever anyone chooses to do, is the right thing for them.

I am saying I was shocked anyone would have to look up "get bent". And as a side note I chuckled a bit when I read it. (I chuckled even harder when I saw someone had to look it up, but seeing how he was making sure he didn't over react, that is a great reason for looking it up. I still chuckled, but I see why he would do it)

That is what I personally am saying, other than I don't see why people get so contentious.

Oh I also said Christopher summed up things pretty well as far as communication goes here.

Any more questions please don't hesitate to ask. That was what I PERSONALLY was saying.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
chicagoharry
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of chicagoharry
Danny if it's worth anything I totally get what you mean...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It was.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
Danny,
I agree, you never used the phrase "get bent". If it were not directed at me and I was an innocent third party observer, I too would have chuckled over the person looking up that phrase. But, as I said, I wanted to make certain that my 50 year old brain hadn't gone south on me and I was justly offended. Also, the context of the sentence was wrong, so I double checked. I was not suggesting that you had said that.
Billy Joel
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I just looked up " PERSONALLY ".
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Quote:
On 2008-06-03 21:28, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I just looked up " PERSONALLY ".

HOW FREAKY IS THAT :O

I just did as well... (Cue X Files Theme) ...
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
It isn't unusual to have someone who sings or plays the piano sing or play if there is a piano in the room. I've seen a comic tell a few jokes at a party, or a sketch artist do a caricature of the guest of honor. Maybe it comes from being in the Boston area where there are a lot of performers and artists around.

I'm just an amateur so am anxious to perform, especially in friendly environments, so I often anticipate being asked to perform and try to come up with something ahead of time.

Having said that, I think it's entirely appropriate to not perform. No reason is necessary, but you could say that you don't have anything approriate ready, or that you would rather just enjoy the party and that you would like some "down time" from performing magic.

I don't think that most people will think that you are taking the spotlight away from the guest of honor. It is probably more likely that folks will remember the event in terms of the guest of honor and that magician that performed.

Obviously, I'm just a hobbyist and may have missed the point completely.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 00:44, marty.sasaki wrote:

No reason is necessary, but you could say that you don't have anything approriate ready,

See here is where you run into problems. Think about what you are saying. You didn't have anything ready. Hmmm. So it is necessary for you to have certain things to do magic with? You can't do ANYTHING? Some magician.

Where is the "magic" in that? It is EXACTLY what causes the conundrum.

While I could not possibly disagree more with Jeff McBride with his "Magician 24/7" theory, I do believe that you have to at least appear (no pun intended) to be one 24/7.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 03:48, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 00:44, marty.sasaki wrote:

No reason is necessary, but you could say that you don't have anything approriate ready,

See here is where you run into problems. Think about what you are saying. You didn't have anything ready. Hmmm. So it is necessary for you to have certain things to do magic with? You can't do ANYTHING? Some magician.

Where is the "magic" in that? It is EXACTLY what causes the conundrum.

While I could not possibly disagree more with Jeff McBride with his "Magician 24/7" theory, I do believe that you have to at least appear (no pun intended) to be one 24/7.

Danny, I'm convinced that you often disagree just to be contentious. What's to disagree with? It's not really a theory, it's just a mode of existence. No theory, just being.

There is a pamphlet that he put out that outlines some tactics to use if you want to be a magician 24/7... But theory? Um... I don't see it written here...

Magic is the appearance of the impossible. If you appear to be one, in a sense, you are one. (Unless, of course you negate that appearance by choosing not to be tricksy upon request)

It's so easy to be a magician 24/7... Even easier if you consciously plan for the (really quite obvious and exploitable) eventualities that you'll come across when it becomes known that "...you are a magician"!

PS- there's been a lot of talk in this thread about magic and being "working" or "not working". If there is one thing I never, NEVER, want "my" magic to be, or even "seem like", that thing is "WORK". Even when I'm busting my hump and working like a dog, my magic is not work.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Nicely said Gaddy. Motion seconded... in EVERY aspect of what you said.
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The definition of "get bent" that you found doesn't make sense in the context of the sentence. The reason is that it wasn't meant that way. I shorthanded the phrase I intended and it seems that the usage I am familiar with apparently didn't translate well.

The sentence should have read "Dude, you seem like you're looking for a reason to get bent out of shape."

The irony of this is that instead of responding to anything in my post, you did EXACTLY what I said you were doing.

Too funny man!

And I think you STILL missed the point...

I disagree with Danny. I think that if you respond the right way not only can you avoid having to perform but you probably could make the person asking laugh and forget all about it. IMHO. Your mileage may vary...

Personally though I think Danny is right in saying that once it is out that you are a magician, people are likely going to want you to perform. Speaking for myself, I almost never opt out in a social situation like that. I look at it this way, is it really asking to much of me to take two minutes out of my schedule to make someones day?

Quote:
On 2008-06-03 20:25, ldl1017 wrote:
Kaliix,
No matter what the tone of the discussion, your opening statement is a bit offensive. I had to actually look the comment up just to make absolutely certain I wasn't over reacting. I don't believe everything I read on the internet but various sources cited "get bent" as the verbal equivalent of giving someone the finger or telling them to go !@#$ themselves. Maybe when all is said and done, this type of post sums up what is sadly rampant on the Café. I am far from the type of person that cringes from some verbal attacks, but this is way over the top.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Carefull you may be called contentious by Gaddy if you agree with me. And Chappo will agree with EVERY aspect of what he says. (Emphasis added by Chappo not me)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I call 'em as I see 'em...

Quote:
On 2008-06-04 15:40, Dannydoyle wrote:
Carefull you may be called contentious by Gaddy if you agree with me. And Chappo will agree with EVERY aspect of what he says. (Emphasis added by Chappo not me)

That's why I made a good umpire Smile
~Daniel J. Boorstin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » You're a magician...let's see a trick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL