The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Card Warp Finale by Paul Green (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
367 Posts

Profile of JohnG
Quote:
On 2008-06-08 00:35, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
The DVD features two full performances, instruction and tips for the strolling performer. It DOES NOT just teach an ending.

So Christopher, the DVD does not teach an ending? I thought the very nature of the DVD was to tip Paul Green's Finale or ending to the routine. Is it that he shows you the finale he uses and it just needs not explanation because it's inherent to the performance?

John G
John Guastaferro

Facebook fan page: www.facebook.com/MagicJohnG
Twitter: twitter.com/johngmagic
YouTube: www.youtube.com/johngmagic
Email: johnGmagic@mac.com
kenodad
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of kenodad
John G,
Chris said it does not teach JUST an ending. It his Paul Green's entire presentation with a nice ending. So you are not buying JUST an ending. If you know/do the trick, you get a nice ending for $20; if you do not know/do the trick, you get it all for $20. I like the DVD; I think it is worth it. The ending is probably not shown on the demo (I own the trick, but have not seen the demo).
John
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2653 Posts

Profile of Tom G
John,

Chris's post says "it does not <just> teach an ending". There are Pauls lines and
bits of business along the way to the ending that you might find useful in your routine. I saw Paul perform this years ago and thought it was the best I had seen.
Not cluttered with "improvements" and an ending for it...

Tom
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
The routine is simple. and seeing again a more simplified handling convienced me, to stop doing the close version with the bill. I'm doing the basic routine with somthing similar to close's patter and iv found you can do the optical illuision with a card just as well as you could with the bill.

as far as the finale itsself, I think its great. its almost a "why didn't I think of that!" kind of thing. I rarly find value in one trick dvd's but I find this to be a solid exception
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-06-09 16:09, Joshua Barrett wrote:
The routine is simple. and seeing again a more simplified handling convienced me, to stop doing the close version with the bill. I'm doing the basic routine with somthing similar to close's patter and iv found you can do the optical illuision with a card just as well as you could with the bill.

as far as the finale itsself, I think its great. its almost a "why didn't I think of that!" kind of thing. I rarly find value in one trick dvd's but I find this to be a solid exception

Paul's basic rotuine is better than others I've seen. I stopped doing it with cards and adopted the Mike CLose version with a bill ( Dr. Strangetrick ).

The bill takes the heat off the gimmick card. But..with Paul's basic version, there is no heat on the card. It's typical Paul Green thinking that makes it so practical.

Ah, the optical illusion display from the Close rotuine. The display is the creation of Richard Myer, an amateur magician from Carmel, California, who misread the original instructions and created a jaw dropping improvement to Mike's original published version.

It can be done with cards and make's the routine go from a trick to a miracle.

Richard Myer could have kept this to himself forever, but instead shared it with the community. A nice lesson to all the "professional" magicians that hide their secrets and insteading of advancing the art, keep it crawling.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2377 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
The "optical illusion" ?
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1638 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I guess we're talking about the bit where you open up the bill and show the whole length of the card. Not actually an optical illusion as such - more a very convincing display. I've just tried it with a card, and it works, well sort of!
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
mclose
View Profile
V.I.P.
306 Posts

Profile of mclose
No. Richard Myer's addition allows the spectators to see three-quarters of the card change as the card is pushed back and forth.

It's a thing of beauty, and it fools me every time I do it. (And I do this trick a lot.)

Close
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Mike, is that Richard Myers out of the Carmel/Monterey area?

I just watched the DVD and I think it is worth getting if you want to learn to do Card Warp and are a DVD oriented person. It is well shot, typical of Kozmo Magic. To be honest the ending is one I encountered messing with the effect but I never considered it as a routine and hats off to Paul for doing so. It is a very nice ending. That being said and this won't be of much value to most I think that Wes James Hyper Warp is a better presentation and ending. Since I think that Wes' routine is only available in his book, which may not be available now, then it may be tough kittens for those that don't have it. This is a good DVD though to learn the trick from and is a nice handling.

Wait, I just read back and saw that it is the same Rich Myer that I know. I think it should be noted that since Rich retired from the airlines it is a safe bet to say he is a professional magician now.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Richard is a retired airline pilot from Carmel, California.

His display is one of the most beautiful in all of magic. If I ever meet Rich, I'll drop to my knees spouting "we're not worthy".

I say display, but it's not static, or still. The card, as you move it, changes. So, I think optical illusion would be an appropriate description. I'll defer to Mike Close on that.

No matter how many times I perfom it, I'm just as fooled as the audience.

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
If you are ever in the bay area hit the IBM in San Jose or SAM in Palo Alto or even the Santa Cruz meets, Rich is usually there. He's a very nice guy. Rich told me a few years ago that he would take one trick with him when he flew from SFO to Australia, his regular route, and once there he had to take a couple days off to rest before the return flight so he'd work on that one trick the entire time. Rich's display is in Workers?

In Wes' display he shows the card to be completely changed twice, meaning you see the length of the card face outward then back outward, killer huh?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Dr. Strangetrick is in Workers Volume One. Perhaps when Mike re-released the series in e-book form he added Rich's display? Anyone?

Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1638 Posts

Profile of Ross W
I'm with ya: the bit where you fold the corners back. It's great!

BUT - and this is exciting - I discovered (by mistake - see above!) that you CAN do the "whole length" card display using a card and not a bill It's a bit angly, and you can only give a quick flash (kind of an afterthought) but it may be useful to someone...
(Come to think of it, it might make a separate dvd...Smile)
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The Paul Green DVD is worth it just just for the tips on strolling with this effect.

Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2415 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Any news on the crediting issue this has been plaqued with?

For those that don't know, Michael Weber has sent Paul Green a note that Green is using Weber's handling, which he showed to Green, and Green does NOT have permission to use it. This is enough to keep me from buying this until it is resolved.

Here is the quote from Richard Kaufman on his website:
Quote:
Weber sent out a note to Paul Green, which he copied to me (and I assume others) where he definitely states that the item is his, that he showed it to Paul Green, and that Paul did not have permission to release it.
Anti-intellectualism has been nurtured by the false notion that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."-Isaac Asimov
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I said this on the other thread...Weber is listed in the beginning as one who Paul discussed the work with, Weber is also part of the credits. Any claim that there is no credit to Weber in any capicity is completely false, check out the DVD and see for yourself.

Okay, when did Weber claim he created this? I also stumbled across the end condition of the card and I hereby state that I created it and never discussed it, or anything else, with Weber. Being that I now claim creation until someone proves me wrong I also give Paul permission to use it as he pleases. Thank you.

The full showing of both inside out and outside it is done slowly and unless the spectator has xray vision they are not going to see anything. I don't know if it is any of Wesley James notes but it is in his big book of card magic called Enchantments. It is a great book if you can find it.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Hey, didn't Weber write Lifesavers which he claimed Kaufman reprinted illegally?
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
Guys,

Can his Card Warp finale be done with Jumbo Cards?
I'm interested because I have done it CW in a stand up situation with Jumbo cards.

cheers
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
While this doesn't relate to this dvd, there's a wonderful handling touch for card warp that was created by Bob Torkova. It enables you to push the "warped card" the entire way through the cover card in one very clean motion. This description doesn't it do it justice, but it's a really nice touch worth tracking down. I learned it looooong ago from a magic magazine, but I have no idea which one or when.

If anyone knows where to find this, please post.

DD
“For centuries we’ve said playing cards – even a single playing card – could reveal a person’s innermost thoughts.
Now you can prove it!”
See http://www.dixonmagic.com/page5/page5.html
mclose
View Profile
V.I.P.
306 Posts

Profile of mclose
At the risk of having my post deleted again:

Michael Weber showed me this ending for Card Warp more than 25 years ago. He performed it in my presence several other times since then.

Paul mentions Michael's name on the DVD, but he did not have the courtesy to ask permission to put the ending on the DVD (a courtesy he afforded Ali Bongo, Simon Aronson, Bruce Cervon, and others when he published variations of their routines). Nor did he ask Michael permission to teach this in lectures, which he has been doing for several years.

This is not a case of an old fart misremembering something that happened a quarter of a century ago. I traffic in ideas, and I remember a really good one when I see it. The ending on the DVD is Weber's.

Close
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Card Warp Finale by Paul Green (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL