The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Card Warp Finale by Paul Green (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Despite my negative review of this, I would hate to think that Paul has lost friends or damaged his reputation irreparably over this. He certainly does not deserve the title of the second most hated person in magic.

Robert
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Second hatest person in magic? Who is first? I gots'a know! Is it me? Dang.

A couple things. Erlandish is a good guy and has been around. Michael Close is a great guy, so is Paul Green, so is Kaufman. I don't know Weber.

The simple fact is the key move, the ending, of this routine has been 'created' by dozens upon dozens of magicians because it is based on an incomplete move. It is still a good ending for the routine. It isn't brilliant, it is just good and it is a just good ending for a great effect, got that? Card Warp great, this ending okay, Wes James ending great, regular ending okay. How many do you think did card warp with a business card? Should someone who did it years ago be allowed to run rough shod over everyone else who stumbled across the less the brilliant idea of using business cards, or bills, or a bill and a card?

Like I said, I created this and didn't 'release it' over 20 years ago and since others can't play nice I still claim it, and that means nothing.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I don't have to wear my new costume for this post;-)

Here's what happened: The DVD was released and posts were made here on the Café.

and then...Michael Close made his first post. If it was Michael Weber that posted it was his ending that he showed Paul, the conversation in this public forum would have had a different tone.

Close could have come on right after and said what he did. By being first, it set the tone for future posts.

I say that because I've been in contact with Michael Weber. He's a smart, very funny guy. If he had written about this, the issue would have pretty much ended until he and Paul came to an understanding that could be announced.

As with magic, it's all in the presentation.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1525 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Quote:
On 2008-06-13 09:08, Mark Raven wrote:
Christopher,

WTF, man?!!? You have this huge chip on your shoulder lately. You know, it is possible to disagree with people without being juvenile and insulting. It's not helpful and doesn't lend to the conversation, the dialogue. Now, if you just want to hear yourself talk, there are places for monologues. Frankly though, I'm interested in more than just your opinion. You've expressed yours, why not let everyone else express theirs.

Mark

PS Who Erlandish isn't the issue, but the information is right there in front of you in his signature if your interested. He's the author of a very good, and very widely read magic blog. There are many good reasons for NOT using real names on an internet forums, security being foremost. Why don't you just give that particular issue a rest?

I'm with Mark on this. Chris is acting like a little kid and he's not helping this thread at all.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I know who the most hated person in magic is! Same guy as it has for years, use to be in the Oakland area, Pete Biro knows him...
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Isn't this supposed to be a review area?
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2008-06-13 13:55, MagicSanta wrote:
I know who the most hated person in magic is! Same guy as it has for years, use to be in the Oakland area, Pete Biro knows him...

You got it.

Robert (still waiting for my Fred Braue Notebooks)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jeff Busby used to have the title.

Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Bingo.

Back to Card Warp Finale....

Robert
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On 2008-06-13 09:08, Mark Raven wrote:
Christopher,

WTF, man?!!? You have this huge chip on your shoulder lately. You know, it is possible to disagree with people without being juvenile and insulting. It's not helpful and doesn't lend to the conversation, the dialogue. Now, if you just want to hear yourself talk, there are places for monologues. Frankly though, I'm interested in more than just your opinion. You've expressed yours, why not let everyone else express theirs.

Mark

PS Who Erlandish isn't the issue, but the information is right there in front of you in his signature if your interested. He's the author of a very good, and very widely read magic blog. There are many good reasons for NOT using real names on an internet forums, security being foremost. Why don't you just give that particular issue a rest?

For the record, I agree with the above post, realize that I have been somewhat of an instigator and apologize.

I offer the following not as an excuse, merely as an explanation:
In any case, I've been really ill and posted when I was in a foul mood, I apologize. I still vehemently disagree but it got too personal and I regret that to no end.

Lem

PS- To nobody in particular, just ranting:

I am so sick of the "not real name argument", so let me just say this now: I had somebody steal my identity. If you haven't gone through that, you have no idea what it is like, and to try to use it as an insult or to degrade what I have to say, all you are doing is showing your ignorance. Besides, what does "Joe Blow" provide more than "jbl"? Nothing but it is an easy way to pick on somebody without actually having to use logic or stay on topic. It's sad and just makes you look ignorant.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I had my identity stolen. What a nightmare. The fellow that took it called me and was furious when he got my credit report. He was turned down for everything.
:rotf:

Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
I really didn't want to laugh because that is almost like it was for me (backwards of course), but I couldn't help myself.

The worst thing was, it all happened while I was, literally, out of the country (applications for credit, use of my credit cards, etc.). Yet the police wanted NOTHING to do with it. My hometown police told me to contact the police in the cities where it happened but those police told me to contact my hometown police.

Finally, after cajoling, my hometown police took a report "as a courtesy". Let's not even talk about the fact that you need it as evidence for your creditors and such.

Ok, ranting again, sorry.

Yours truly,
Octothorp or, the guy previously named Lemniscate
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
My credit was stolen but I did'nt mind because the thief was spending less with it then my wife!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Back to topic

FYI:

PMed Paul Green and he responded with a very detailed note explaining his position. While I am not at liberty to repeat what he said, much of it, if not all, is already out here. There is one thing that I wanted to say publicly that I told him.

I admire that he is tackling this head on, communicating both with us and Weber. It would be very easy to completely ignore what was going on and it takes guts to face controversy. I told him that sticking to his guns, whether or not I agree specifically (and I haven't decided for sure yet) is pretty impressive.

I did not mean anything personal and if any of the names were flipped, changed, or modified, my stance would have been the same.

Thank you for communicating, Mr. Green. I still hope this can be resolved soon and with everybody winning.

Octo
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2008-06-13 17:02, Robert M wrote:
Bingo.

Back to Card Warp Finale....

Robert

Okay - how much fun is Paul's routine and how cool is Michael Weber's ending?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Paul's routine is like any other time you've seen him on tape ( in The Trenches DVD ) : it's funny and the audience is involved. I liked the ending as it's very visual. When this issue is solved, I plan on using it.

Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Paul Green is an upstanding guy....one of the nicest guys in magic PERIOD! and I can tell you that the money that he made on this thing is not worth anything close to this.....i don't know mike weber but I have heard great things about him...

heres my opinion...this is a private matter and we don't the magic police in on this one....paul green contacted mike weber as soon as he heard this was an issue...because hes an upstanding guy...let them deal with it and stop this thread!

I can tell you from a private view that paul green is one of the nicest people I have ever met....and all of this stuff here on the net should simply stop...

let mike weber and paul green deal with this on their own

koz
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I've never met any of the folks involved in this. I've been a huge Paul Green fan over the years.

I recently had the pleasure of some PM's with Michael Weber and I appologize if my trying to be funny cast him in any light other than the classy guy he is, that LOVES the Art of magic, because he's all of that and more.

Sometimes bad things happen and it's an opportunity for people to learn grow. I appreciate everyone that has been involved to help me with that.

Father's Day is Sunday. GOD bless everyone and I hope you can be with your Dad, or be a Dad!

Christopher

Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Paul Green is one of the nicest and most honest magicians I have ever met. PERIOD.
Torkova
View Profile
Regular user
Astoria, NY
192 Posts

Profile of Torkova
FYI, my handling for a finale with Card Warp originally appeared in Eric DeCamp's column in Tannen's Magic Manuscript in the mid-late 1980s. I don't remember the exact date but Frank Garcia was on the cover. It also appeared in my lecture notes which are now out of print. This was the first original move I ever came up with and am pleased it was received so well.

Bobby Torkova
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Card Warp Finale by Paul Green (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL