The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Little Fishy (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Little Fishy by Diamond Jim Tyler is a good kid's trick. But I rather use a fake goldfish. Does anyone know where to purchase a fake fish?
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
Not sure but maybe a tackle shop?
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
775 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
I'd try a fake tackle shop.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I've never seen them, but Abbotts advertises them in their catalogue.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Wa-na-be, that is a good answer. I'm surprised I never thought of that. I guess I was thinking a little too hard.

RJE, oh, you are right. I use to see the fake goldfish in their book catalogues years ago. I forgot it was Abbotts. I was thinking it was a different magic shop, but discontinued it since I could not find it in those certain magic shops.

MoonRazor, I'm on my way now looking for a "fake" tackle shop. So far I haven't see any "fake" tackle shops in the "fake" Yellow Pages. But I will keep looking. I hope there is one near me.

I do not know how to thank you guys.
engineer_star
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of engineer_star
Hello Dynamike,
Walmart stores have a wide sellection of "Life-Like" bait/fish. I have another suggestion and one that I'mm going to start using now that it's summer. If you have a STREAM/CREEK near you, you will bw AMAZED at all the different aquatic life that is available for free. A Tadpole or Crawdad both breathe "air" and can be used in your show and then released back into the Creek. There are also many sizes of minnows.
Sam Best
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
I saw a whole box of goldfish at the grocery store. Smile

I can't believe nobody's posted that before now.

Tate
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
If you are interested in an appearing fish routine, check out Tarbell #5, p. 340-345 (The Magic of the Bamburgs). There is a fantastic handling of an appearing group of goldfish that can transform into a couple of frogs (live of course).

Question - How are you going to make fake fish, like bait tackle, not look like dead fish in the water. If you fake people out and make them believe they are real, then they are going to think you killed them. Are there fake fish that appear to swim?
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
BTW - I found a fake goldfish in a large bumball machine at Old Navy. I kept it, thinking I may could use it in a magic trick. It is a realistic looking goldfish, but it is static plastic & I'm not sure what it would do in water (not much obviously).
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Sam, I will take a peek in Walmarts to see how it will appear with the other fish listed above yours.

Tate, very funny.

Tony, I will give a fake fish a try first to see how the kids will respond. I am already using live doves, a live rabbit and a live chinchilla in my show. I think I need a break now. Anyway the fish bowl has only a few inch diameter. They might think the fish is still because the small amount of swimming space he has. If I get negative response I might try a small magnetic moving fish: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5685096.html

Thank you everybody.
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
So how is the fishing trip going?
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
256 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
Try making them yourself. Take a carrot and use a peeler. peel of a few strips then use a scissor and cut them to shape.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks, but I rather order it so it will be permanent. It will save a lot of time.
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
Check out US TOYS, type in fish. you will find a great selection.

Hope this helps

Chris
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Ahh man. I fell for it. They got me fair and square. I did purchase it from Abbotts. The price was $6 not including the tax and postage. They sent me a fake looking bait fish. It's look terrible. It has no eyes. It floats sideways.

Chris the website you are talking about is where I should of went to: http://www.ustoy.com/novelty/default.htm I could of received more for less money and it would of looked a lot more realistic. I bet this will be my biggest magic order mistake of the year. Just one of those days.

No problem, this is not the end of the world, plus I will order from some place different.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I got the Abbott's fish a couple years ago and I initially felt the same way. However, I re-adjusted the weight and when I used is in my "Ink To Goldfish" trick at a school show, both the kids and teachers ooh'd and aah'd and were sure it was real. The defraction made by the water made the fish look bigger and as I held the glass it moved a little making the fish seem alive. The "eyes" are more like little dark spots but from across the room, it looked fine.

I would say don't rule out the Abbott's fish yet. After I adjusted the weight it floated right-side-up and did the job for me. Maybe put it in a glass of water and show a friend from a short distance without telling them first that it's fake and see what their reaction is. If you're using it for kids, all the better.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Look at bass pro web site under soft plastic lures I am sure you will find a great looking fake gold fish in a pack of 5.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22858 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Abbott's use to make their own fake gold fish, I still have one from 40 or so years ago. It is large with a weight. It does look good in water. Don't judge until you tried it. These are made to be seen from a stage, I used mine in my bowl of water productions.

Now if they are selling something commercially made, then I cannot comment on any change since my original purchase.
silking
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of silking
The US TOYS page has a great selection of fish.You can add a weight and it will look pretty good. I have used them in the past and they will work for parlor and stage.

Silking
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I am going to try using this one. It looks realistic: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BB8SHGE/?co......ig_dp_it
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Little Fishy (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL