The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Mythbusters (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
945 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
I love the show,just think what you could build out of all that stuff in that shop.
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I loved the beer one.
ryansmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Reading, PA
147 Posts

Profile of ryansmagic
I think Adam Savage must be a magician of some sort. On the one show they meshed 2 phone books together page by page. Adam said "for the magician watching this is a pharaoh shuffle"....
Ryan Parsons
[email]ryanparsons@comcast.net[/email]
http://www.magicformiracles.com
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
"faro"
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2902 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Adam does have a background in magic.
Dr. Reneau
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Dr. Reneau
My question is, "Why don't they teach science in schools with these methods?"

Insurance. But it would be a lot more fun and some knowledge might actually be retained by the mushy little brains.
Eric Jamborsky

Dr. Reneau,
Headmaster,
Hogwash School of Really Weird Stuff
asithlord
View Profile
New user
johnathan townsends daily hobbie is
98 Posts

Profile of asithlord
I love the show but mostly find the results questionable, they try to light fuel when its wet, its the VAPOUR that's flamable, they should know that I mean come on
and they miss flash points, and other fire related logic like
heat, fuel, oxygen is all it takes for ignition not sparks. the tyre burn out is definetely possible under those conditions.
as a hypnotist I felt they totaly blew their tests and never gave it a proper try I reckon I could have acheived the goals they set and missed.
never miss it tho great show, great guys.
much love
salmononius2
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of salmononius2
Quote:
On 2008-11-26 15:48, ryansmagic wrote:
I think Adam Savage must be a magician of some sort. On the one show they meshed 2 phone books together page by page. Adam said "for the magician watching this is a pharaoh shuffle"....

Yeah, a friend and I saw this and tried it out (the friend isn't a magician though). It's true, we couldn't pull the phone books apart! Best waste of 20 minutes to 'faro' the pages together Smile!
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1686 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I enjoy the show, too. I don't have cable TV, so my father in law tapes the shows and mails us VHS tapes every few months. My wife actually likes it better than I do.

The card-throwing episode was a lot of fun. I remember actually seeing the book by Ricky Jay in a bookstore as a kid and thinking it had to be a joke.

The hypnosis episode was interesting. What I found really kind of cool was that I felt the results were better with the "stage hypnotist" and his speed induction than with the shrink who used a therapy-type induction. They didn't repeat the test on Grant (though that would have been the perfect time to include a PHS for him to paint on his robot), which was a shame.

Also, I do some metal working and I've had hammer spall on me and fling little chips. They did an episode with the claim that hammers can't do that. I still have the remains of one hammer that I wish I could replace. Wonderful, except for the big chip on the main face. And they should have had someone who actually knows how to heat-treat steel do it in that episode. This is my personal peeve.

Overall, though, lots of fun. Where else are you going to see people underwater shooting blowdarts in one episode and attempting to make a flying raft in another?

-Patrick
robini
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
684 Posts

Profile of robini
Quote:
On 2009-07-01 20:37, salmononius2 wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-11-26 15:48, ryansmagic wrote:

Yeah, a friend and I saw this and tried it out (the friend isn't a magician though). It's true, we couldn't pull the phone books apart! Best waste of 20 minutes to 'faro' the pages together Smile!

Without having actually tried it, unless I could somehow manage to pull off a real faro shuffle with phone books, I'm guessing that, even with help, it might take me a lot longer than 20 minutes to 'faro' the pages of two phone books together -- at least unless I lived in a much smaller town with a much smaller phone book.
MrGreggy
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MrGreggy
I love Mythbusters! I have a TV celebrity crush on Kari Byron.
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
515 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
I saw her first!
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
visit www.roryraven.com today!
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2008-06-02 21:07, Preston68 wrote:
Not exactly the best science, but I love this stupid show. Tim's pop rocks post in the other thread got me thinking about some memorable episodes. Here's a couple:

1. The guy who tried to fly in a lawn chair with lots of balloons. Doable and dangerous and just recently a Catholic priest disappeared trying to do this stunt as a fund raiser. Yikes. I feel sorry for him, but that is an almost automatic Darwin award.

Well he survived so I guess he doesn't get the award Smile

Quote:
2. The guy who farted himself to death. Supposedly he ate too many beans and cabbage and died of the gas in his sleep. Busted

lol

Quote:
3. Can you get the smell of death out of a car? They left a dead pig in a car for a good while in a storage container out in the sun, then put on hazmat suits and tried to clean it. Disgusting! Television doesn't get much more cerebral than this! Smile

Anyone else like this show? I mean, if you like explosions and/or guns you have to like Mythbusters!

4. Using dynamite to clean a cement mixer. Busted, but what a cool explosion!

I love Mythbusters. Just watched them recreate a paper crossbow made by a prisoner that sunk one inch into a fellow prisoner's jugular. Smile And it worked.
DATMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Shreveport, La
304 Posts

Profile of DATMagic
Isn't there a rumor that Kari and one of the guys were dating? Is he the father of her child?
David A Trombetta

DAT does the Trick
DATdoestheTrick.com

Smile
email [email]DATMagic@aol.com[/email]
lemon ice
View Profile
New user
Memory Alpha on my PADD making
29 Posts

Profile of lemon ice
This is possibly my favorite show of all time. The science isn't always perfect, but Adam and Jamie are experienced in many different disciplines and are in fact experts in many different fields.

Sometimes they don't or can't do all the extensive testing that would really be necessary to bust or confirm each myth. They have even admitted this themselves on many occasions. However on more than one occasion they have also said that they cut out a lot of the repeat tests that they did do. So there's often a lot more testing and tinkering than will actually make it to television. They do the best they can, they consult with experts, they work on many of these projects for weeks and sometimes months or longer, and they have a lot of help with research and building behind the scenes too.

One reason I like MythBusters (besides the fact that they blow stuff up a lot) is that even when they bust a myth, they will often go to great lengths to achieve the desired results anyway, which is a lot of fun to watch.

Another reason I like the show is just how real they are when they're not doing some of the cheesy scripted stuff. You can really see how much fun they're having, and how thoughtful they really are about this stuff. I also love the fact that they can go back and revisit a myth and admit that they were wrong. That's part of what science is all about; going where the evidence leads even if it means finding out and admitting that you were wrong.

@DATMagic Kari is married to Paul Urich.
"I could do the hop de passe de shift sauter la coupe."
jem368
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of jem368
I adore this show! Although their DVD system bewilders me. (putting random episodes from different seasons together? Really?)
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Having worked in the concrete industry, you must have heard of the Concrete Tech program at Alpena Community College in Michigan. Right next to Besser Concrete.

Quote:
On 2008-06-03 22:59, Margarette wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-06-02 21:07, Preston68 wrote:
4. Using dynamite to clean a cement mixer. Busted, but what a cool explosion!

First, I will apologize for what I'm about to type. It has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but it does involve a HUGE pet peeve of mine. The terms "cement" and "concrete" are NOT interchangeable. The huge rotating drum that discharges a mixture composed of water, aggregates, cement, and admixtures is a CONCRETE mixer, not a cement mixer. Cement is a pozzolanic material that has cohesive properties and is an ingredient in concrete. Concrete is a mixture of cement, aggregates (both coarse and fine), water, and any applicable admixtures (air entraining agent, retarder, accelerator, etc). I spent almost ten years working in research involving cement and concrete mix designs.

If I had seen that episode of MythBusters, they would have gotten a "viewer comment" from me if I had heard them say "cement mixer." I even sent a letter to Tom Clancy (I'm sure he never read it), because one of his books kept saying "cement mixer."

Now, to comment on Myth Busters. I watch the show when I can. I don't seek it out or set my schedule to watch it, but if I'm flipping channels and it's on, I'll watch it.

Margarette
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1307 Posts

Profile of lynnef
You can't start a gas station fire with a cell phone, in spite of warnings posted on the pumps! This was one of my favorites on the show. But my all time favorite Mythbusters show was their escape from Alcatraz .. they proved it could be done with the escapees original materials!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Wow great info, thanks all. Smile
Dorianmagic
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Dorianmagic
Quote:
On 2011-08-23 16:42, Decomposed wrote:
Wow great info, thanks all. Smile

What kind of budget did this show have? I use the word "did" because I miss it and haven't seen it in a while. Besides all the ridiculous explosions, always fun to watch, I liked the math and physics excursions. Also, if you're interested in such things, here's one more bit of "great info: "Myth Busters co-host Adam Savage gives a fast-paced presentation on personal obsessions. Savage explains how his fascination with dodo bird skeletons eventually led to his designing of an exact bronze-cast replica of the titular statue from the 1941 Humphrey Bogart movie, The Maltese Falcon."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29SopXQfc_s
Imagine the magic props this could design
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Mythbusters (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL