We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Armed Robbery by Peter Loughran- Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Armed Robbery by Peter Loughran
Video Download: Running Time: 1 hr 12mins.

http://www.masterofillusions.ca/master_o......oon1.htm

$9.99US

Armed robbery is the first of Peter’s Illusion Download series, and this is my first review...hopefully it will be thorough and answer some questions without revealing too much. The download is divided into two sections: prop construction and performance tips and ideas.

Effect: You show an empty tube on all sides. The audience can clearly see the tube is empty. Slip the empty tube on an arm up to the elbow and with a pull you remove your forearm below the elbow and perform some very strange moves with your severed forearm. You then re-attach the arm.

Prop Construction: This section is an hour long and Peter takes you through the construction of the prop step by step. You will have absolutely no problem constructing this prop as Peter’s instructions are top notch. He also gives some really good tips regarding the proper application of spray paint for a professional finish on any item that you might want to spray paint. You do not need to be a woodworker in order to make and assemble the prop, but you will require the following:

- A hand held Jigsaw (or table saw if you have one.)
- Black Duct Tape
- Scissors
- A black marker
- Tape measure
- Exacto Knife
- Spray paint
- Glue Gun
- Hardboard (Peter gives you the specs on the video.)
- A dark colored long sleeve shirt (yes, you will have to do some simple work on the shirt. Peter shows you how to do it and also gives some ideas that will involve a seamstress.)

Performance: This section is approximately 12 minutes in length and Peter goes through the working of the prop and performance tips in the same setting as the demo video. With the dark blue shirt and a black background, it’s very hard to see how effective the illusion really is. With a dark shirt being one of the requirements for this illusion to be really effective it might have been a good idea to use a lighter colored backdrop. The instruction in this section is very good.

Rating: This is not a Hollywood production as Peter himself admits, but the video quality is good and you will have no problem constructing the prop. Personally, I think it would be a good idea for Peter to re-shoot the instructional part and the demo video using a much lighter background. It is obvious that Peter has put a lot of time and thought into this illusion and I give the download a 10 based on the information contained within it. However, I can’t give the illusion itself a rating as a) I can’t really see how deceptive it is because of the contrast issue and b) because I have not had the time to construct it and try it out on a test audience (usually my wife and kids.) I would also be curious to find out if this has been audience tested as Peter does not mention that in the video.

Harv
Fabricem
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Fabricem
I saw this video , from Peter, but for me really I don't know what is magic in this " trick" for me dosn't look like a magic trick.!
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1784 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
You are right nothing magical about a hand or arm being dimembered & then reattached, happens everyday.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1261 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2008-06-09 15:24, tboehnlein wrote:
You are right nothing magical about a hand or arm being dimembered & then reattached, happens everyday.

But the hand/arm never seems to move in any way incongruent with a hand/arm that is attached to the body. I think that's why people are having a hard time understanding what the effect is supposed to be.
Martin Reinertz
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Martin Reinertz
I also thought it looked strange when Peter put his arm through the tube. Not very convincing, as far as I'm concerned. Sorry about that Peter.
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
870 Posts

Profile of gitty
I download the video a few days ago and watched it today and as Harv already said ...
The video quality is good and you will have no problem constructing the prop.
I also have not had the time to construct it but I see a great possibilty in that effect! It's a clever and easy illusion - also easy to built.
But I also agree with Harv ... that it would be a good idea for Peter to re-shoot the instructional part and the demo video using a much lighter background.

I promise you that you will be satisfy for what you will receive for $9.99.

I can't wait for the next part of the new illusion download series from Peter Loughran!
WALTHER
Fabricem
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Fabricem
Sorry but I don't understand this illusion, is strange for me call it an illusion! try to do this whit the audience and the people can say, what are you doing magical, where is the magic! belive me!
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
This is embarrassing to watch.....and I'm sitting by myself.

A person would have to be either magically clueless or completely blind to actually purchase, build, and perform this "trick" in front of other living human beings.

From an established designer of many effects that are completely magical in appearance, some even being contenders for "best in category", I can only ask a single question..........."Why"?
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Thanks for the comments everyone. In retrospect I suppose this illusion wasn't my best career move according to some of the comments made here and some rather harsh ones by Silverking, but I will answer your question as to why.

Honestly I actually thought the illusion looked pretty cool, and I demoed it both live and on film for some lay people before I released it and they all seemed to like it by the reactions I got. I don't know what else to say, I honestly thought it looked pretty cool. I mean it wasn't mind blowing magic by any means but just rather a very fun peice and very inexpensive visual illusion. Also the customers who did download it and also thank you for those that have reviewed it here, seemed to enjoy the effect for the most part, and for the money it had some real potential, on what I felt was a very clever idea and new method in magic. I was merely trying to offer a do-it yourself throw away illusion for 10 bucks for people to mess around with.

I have had some major problems with the download itself, as those who have downloaded can contest to this. And I don't mean problems with what you see on the film but with the file itself. I know Harv had a problem and Gitty's also expereinced technical difficulties with the download link itself supplied by a company called downloadz and took several days to fix the problem, luckily for me Gitty was very forgiving, and this product has become a bigger headache than anything at this time. So I have temporarily decided to remove it, and will most likely just offer this as free download in the future or a bonus idea and include it with another effect.

I never released this to make any real money on it. None of my downloads really generate any sort of income, they moreless just pay for the subsribtion fees that I pay the download server every month regardless of how many I sell. They are more or less just fun Ideas I have and like to share with people that enjoy my work. But after the comments by some and the technical difficulties I encounter over and over again with this product file, its just not worth it at this time. So as of right now I have removed the product and again will probably just offer it as a bonus effect, or offer all of the illusion downloads we had planned in one complete collection.

Thanks for everyones interest and comments both good, harsh, and constructive.

Peter
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
870 Posts

Profile of gitty
Peter,
thanks for your honest comment!
That's really very rare today and it's another prove for me that Peter isn't working just for the money - he is working for the magic!

My respect,
Walther
WALTHER
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Armed Robbery by Peter Loughran- Review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL