The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Ankle Restraints (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
I am looking for some ankle restraints used to hang upside down with in a straight jacket escape.

Thanks for your help,
Mike
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
Mike,

I'm glad you brought this up. I've been working on adding a S.J. escape to my routine so this is something I need to think about as well.

What about using the 'Hospital type' restraints? The ones that wrap around a few times and then are either velcro or strap shut.

Theoretically (I haven't tried this yet so I don't know), they should be strong enough to hold your weight and secure enough to hold you there until you decide to release yourself.

Usually they are padded with foam so your ankles won't get battered and bruised from wriggling your way out of the jacket.

Once you get out of the Jacket they should be pretty easy to remove. [They are made to allow hospital staff to QUICKLY and humanely strap people into gurnees, etc.]

I know Humane Restraint would sell these items, but I don't know where else you would buy them.

Maybe you can help me out as well. I need to figure out how to build a portable rig to hang upside down from to do a S.J. escape. Any ideas?

jlareau
:bluebikes:
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi all,

Please, please, PLEASE don't even consider any "should be's" when it comes to working suspended at ANY height. If you do, then you may well die.

David Straitjacket
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
I would hope that Mike would definitely test this first before using my advice. As I stated above, I have yet to perform this so I don't really know if they will work. I was simply trying to give him an idea as to the construction of the restraint.

If and when I perform a suspension escape, it would be lunacy of me if I didn't fully test my rig. I would expect that anyone who is seriously considering an effect like this would do the same thing, however, thanks for the concern, Duncan.

Jlareau

SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Hello,

As one who has done this sort of suspended escape many times, I can with authority tell you that the Humane Restraint Co. velcro closure hospital restraints will NOT hold you properly and should not be trusted for such a task.

On many of these escapes I did, I used a specially made set of buckle closed leather ankle cuffs made out of heavy "chromium" leather which is very strong and will not tear or rip. The rivets used were heavy copper rivets and washers of the type used in saddle making. You certainly do not want the nickel plated "speed rivets" seen on many novelty leather restraints because they are not strong enough and will break into two parts under enough stress.

For the last few UPD escapes I did I designed and had made a nylon webbing harness which I could wear under a one piece suit like pilots wear. This harness fastened over my shoulders, around my torso, and trailed down my legs before finally terminating in two large metal rings which were in turn looped directly onto the crane hook. This harness more evenly supported my weight without placing all of the strain on my ankles. If you want to do a USD escape that is both comfortable and safe, then I would look into having such a harness made.

Regards,
Steve Santini.
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
WOW.

Thank you Steve. That was a wealth of info. Hey Mike...umm...don't use those ankle restraints. Sorry for leading you down the wrong path.

Steve, can you give a more detailed description of that harness. I'm very interested in hearing about it.

Thanks
Jlareau

mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Don't worry about it. When you said that, I did not think they will hold. As I have seen these before.

Steve, I am also VERY interested in the harness. Can you tell me how to go about making one?

Thanks for all your help,
Mike
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Hello all,

Well, it is a little diffcult to describe without having diagrams for you to consult, but I will do my best. Basically, there are two shoulder straps that go on either side of the neck and travel downwards on both the chest and back of the escapist to ground, or foot, level. It is to these "primary straps" that the large steel rings are fastened below the feet.

Just below the pecs, there is another strap sewn to these. This strap encircles the chest. At waist level there is another strap sewn to the "primary" straps and this encircles the waist. Now, at this point, the primary straps which go over the shoulders and travel downwards split off with one set going down one leg and one down the other.
There are encircling straps for the thighs, just below the knees, and finally the ankles.

The beauty of this system is that should one of the primary shoulder straps actually slip off or break (somehow), you are still held up by the strap around your waist. Should that one go, you are still held aloft by the leg and ankle straps. To my knowledge I was the first one to invent and use such a harness for USD escapology work and I highly recommend it. Just be sure that whoever makes it for you makes it to your precise measurements so it fits snuggly and also has experience sewing and working with nylon webbing material. You want this thing to be STRONG!

Regards,
Steve Santini
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi all,

Jlareau, sorry if that came off a little short, I was pretty jet lagged when I typed it and didn't mean to sound so brusque. It was just the 'should work' bit that scared me!

That setup sounds excellent, Steve. But for those, like me, that feel comfortable with just ankle straps then, as I have said several times here before, talk to a bungee company!

Why bungee straps?

Well. It is designed precisely for the purpose of holding you upside down in complete safety.

Fully tested in both lab and field conditions.

Available as standard at not too high a cost.

Training in proper use, storage and handling is available from the suppliers.

Just my tuppence. Have fun all.

Duncan
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
SANTINI
View Profile
Loyal user
SANTINI
293 Posts

Profile of SANTINI
Thank you Duncan.
Tell me, have you done many USD jacket escapes using bungee straps? How many USD jacket escapes have you done in total? Just curious... Best regards, Steve Santini.
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Steve,

What would it take to get some diagrams and or photos of the harness?

If I can get this thing made I would gladly give you credit in the program anything else you want. Just let me know.

Mike
orion2185@direcway.com
magicman222
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of magicman222
I saw some at the trickery.com. I think.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Hi Steve

I have done maybe 40 - 50 suspended escapes. About 20 of these with bungee stuff. I have always felt MUCH safer with the bungee stuff than the ankle rig I put together myself.

Have fun

Duncan

My Website
Add me on facebook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Ankle Restraints (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL