The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Greg Bordner- Abbott's Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7368 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I just found out that Greg is extremely ill. Here is the email I received.
"some of you may have heard this--Greg Bordner is in the hospital in Chicago waiting for a heart transplant. He may be there all summer, missing the Abbotts magic convention. BUT the convention will go on as planned. Please inform all that there will be a ABBOTTS GETTOGETHER this summer. We are getting calls wondering about it."

I know Greg did not do the Battle of Magicians this year as he was feeling tired. Greg had a bypass several years ago and made remarkable recovery.

Please keep him in your prayers and thoughts.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
My prayers are with Greg and his family during this time.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Good luck.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I just received information about this as well. My thoughts are with your Greg. Stay strong. You've got a lot of magic (and Magicians) in your corner routing for you.

If you hear any gossip that the get together won't take place this year don't believe it. No matter what I hear (or read) I'll be there. So even if someone is able to convince you that it won't take place this year come to Colon Michigan during that week anyway. You'll find me sitting on the sidewalk wondering where all the magicians disappeared to.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Profile of magicgettogether
Hi, this is Greg, I am in the hospital waiting, I am not extremely ill but just hanging out waiting for a new heart. In the mean time, Gordon Miller will be running the shop and the Get Together will be unaffected since Hank Moorehouse and Mark Holstein do the majority of the work. Thanks for the good wishes and hope to see you all soon.
80 years in the making - Magic Get Together
Visit Abbotts Magic Online - Abbott Magic
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

I typed the above message while talking with Greg on the phone, I hope to visit him Wednesday. He asked me to bring a Svengali deck and coloring book so he could entertain some of the kids.

The magic shop is running smooth, Julie, BJ and Karen are working a little more and Gordon Miller is probably the only person who knows more about running Abbotts than Greg so everything is in good hands.
Mark Holstein
View Profile
New user
Houston, Texas
53 Posts

Profile of Mark Holstein
Hey, Greg, what's this about Mark Holstein doing most of the work?!?

Seriously, we all know you will make a speedy recovery. We'll hold down the fort but do hurry back. I can only take so much of Kidwell, Hughes and Conklin!

Chuck, are you still planning to do the backstage video?

Looking forward to seeing y'all in Colon...it's a great line-up this year.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7368 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Boy.... with remarks like that I think Kidwell, Conkln and I should look for a good lawyer.

Another backstage video?....I am still trying to recover from the last one with Kidwell's informal appearance.

See you all in a couple of weeks. It is nice and hot here. So I am getting in shape for the Abbott's.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Greg -
Glad to see your post - I'm wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery. You and Abbott's have helped me evolve as a magician, and I really appreciate that.
Charley
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Yes Mark, I certainly hope so, its the one thing missing from the site. Let me know when to be there Wednesday, it should not take too long.

It sounds like I'm not the first to do this, I would love to hear the complete story about the other backstage video, maybe add that to the Get Together story page Smile

Currently still researching the Get Together database, need help with the years after Tops magazine especially 1995 & 1996, you can see my progress below.

http://www.magicgettogether.com/timemachine.html
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7368 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Chuck,
I will check my files to pull out the old programs. What years do you need?
Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
gerryc
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of gerryc
Greg is in good hands . I will be praying for him and his family. These are trying times for them being separated and having to deal with the stress. Abbott's has always been a family, not just the Bordners but all of us ( yes that means we are all kind of related to Hank and Gordon...scary). Now is the time for that family to pull together. The Get-Together will be great in August, we can all help to make it great , see you then. In the meantime , when you are stuck in traffic, say a prayer for Greg and his family.

Gerry Costello
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Thanks Richard, from 1994 through 2006 I only had Abbotts posters to go off. Greg says when he puts these together that half the performers are on the poster and the other half are in the programs so if you have the programs that would be the perfect match. 1995, 1996 and 2004 are the biggest weak points with no records what so ever.

Any help would be appreciated, you can email me at webmaster@magicgettogether.com or via PM here.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1771 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Greg:

It's Rick Morein in Green Bay. Take care of yourself and get better, OK?

You have a LOT of friends in Magic who care about you and wish you well!!!

I'll do my part and try and contribute to the Greg Bordner retirement fund by buying as much magic as I can when I visit Colon for the Magic Get-Together in August.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7368 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Rick, that's a great idea but do you really think you could ever gt Greg to retire?

Chcuk a quick check and I have quickly found the programs for 1987, 1990, 1991,1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2006. I know the rest are here just not filed properly.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1771 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Hi Richard:

Of course I'm sure that you are aware that I was merely kidding Greg to put a smile on his face.

We never want him to retire.......unless he really wants to~!.....but.......hey....Greg likes it when I spend money at Abbott's!

If I didn't spend money at Abbott's, I wouldn't have that 30 bloom Marshall Botania that I bought there a couple of years ago and that you authenticated for me, right? Or I wouldn't have the Marshall version of DeLage's FASTEST TRICK IN THE WORLD, right?

Besides, I'm simply trying to do my part to help make Jack Bridwell continue his reign supreme as the top Abbott's salesman at the Get-Together.

Bottom-Line: Greg is a great guy and a lot of magicians care about him, and care about Abbott's and about the great traditions that make us "Come Home to Colon" every year!

Richard:

See you in August!
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

That is great, Richard, how do I get the information from you? I just need the performers name and year he performed, its a very simple database.

Chuck
Mark Holstein
View Profile
New user
Houston, Texas
53 Posts

Profile of Mark Holstein
Hi guys,

Chuck - we start setting up at 9:00 on Wednesday. You'll need to "beep" out most of what Kidwell says.

The video Richard refers to was a pilot Franz Harary was doing. It was titled something like "Magic Across America" and he started with the Abbott's Get Together. He shot in 2003, the year we did the Stage Crew Matinee. He was shooting backstage and got a rather unfortunate shot of a pantless Kidwell. I'd nearly erased the image from my mind...thanks Richard!

The rest of the video was great, icluding Franz making a fire truck appear in front of the Abbotts building. I still hope that makes it to air some day...

See you in August. Bring your money. The single best thing we can do for Greg and family is to continue to support the Abbotts Magic Get Together!
magicgettogether
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
556 Posts

Some of the best stories from Abbotts seem to come when you are not even looking for them, I would love to get more detail on that video someday, make for a great story.

I'll see Greg tomorrow afternoon and will be sure to give him everyone's best. Hopefully I can get him online and he can see the post's for himself.

all the best

Chuck
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7368 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Chuck,
Send me a regular email and I will scan the pages and send them to you. I am still looking for the other programs as I know they are here someplace.

Yes, Franz video did capture a lot of the flavor of Abbott's.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Greg Bordner- Abbott's Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL