The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Church fund raisers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mary Jane
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Mary Jane
Hi

THis is kind of linked to the piece discussing Christian magicians. We are performing at a charity dinner organised by a RC church. I think most people do view magic as purely entertainment and we went with the priest's and committee's blessing. The tickets went on sale on Sunday and we are now getting some quibbles about devil worshipping. Just wondered has anyone been booked by a church for a charity fund raiser without a problem. I wonder if the area we are performing at are just a bit narrow minded (some people) or are there always people still branding magic as the devil's work? I've always grown up with magic on TV and seen it as just great fun.

I know in previous bookings we've been accused of doing voodoo by an African do but they may have been a bit merry by then.

Just wanted your take on it.

M
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
MJ,

we've faced a similar situation here. The first time the congregation saw a magic trick in Church it caused a lot of talk from some quarters. Now they've grown accustomed to enjoying it.

We start by explaining we're just there as entertainers and that only God can do miracles. You use skill, after a lot of practice, to make things seem to disappear. Stress illusion not magic. Mention magic sets as a kid to win them over. We just use grown-up versions. My mentor (Andrew David,an Anglican Chaplain) always starts with "Dots Next" as a sucker trick. He offers to show them how it works, then dazzles them with skill.

If you throw in comedy and audience participation then the audience are going to smile - that's half the battle won. You are there to support their charity cause after all. Most anti-magic people would stay away, not buy a ticket.

Obviously, costume and behaviour make a difference as well. I wear a polo shirt or suit according to the occasion, not a denim or biker jacket. I'm only on view as an entertainer, the rest of me is left at the door (well my faith comes in as well).

Hope that's useful if only to reassure you. Good luck.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
I'm interrested to know what kind of tricks you performed. I have done several church charity events, but they all knew who I was and what I was all about before I performed for them. Most of them had also heard of me from other christians who had previously seen me perform. I also like to do my homework with whatever church event I perform at. Basically, I just make sure they know and understand just exactly what I do and don't do. If they have any problems with what I do, I respectfully decline to perform. I have to admit, I have been very fortunate to have not had any major problems with presenting my Gospel magic for Churches, christian ministries, and christian organizations. (knock on wood)
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
illuzzionz
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of illuzzionz
I once had a lady knock on my door and start speaking the word. When she asked what I did and I said I was a magican, she started praying for me. Asking forgiveness for the errors in my way.

I told her I entertain peolpe and make them happy. God has no problem with that.

I'm a very big Christian and it is really ashame when some people are so ignorant. The Bible says not to practice magic as in real (black) magic, witch craft. We are using illusions to entertain. Ay yi yi!
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Hi Gospel Dan,
routines have included
1. Just Chance
2. King of Hearts
3. Eye of the Needle
4. Changing Bag
a) silks
b) rope
c) 3 silks
7. Compass
8. Thumb Tip
9. 3 ropes
10. Coloured envelopes
11. Rocky Raccoon
12. Rope through girl (trust in Jesus)
13. Bible Colouring Book
14. My favourite book is...Juggling (following instructions isn't enough, we have to have faith)
15. Shackled (released from sin when became a Christian)
16. Three rings (Trinity Sunday)
17. 20th Century Silks (Pentecost)
18. Ali Baba’s pom poms (all from differnt places, but joined by Christ)
19. Threaded plastic sleeves
20. Rat Trap
21. Magician's Choice - (real meaning of Christmas); (fantical about magic ( zealous about Christ)
22. Square Circle - (Easter Sunday service)

For other tricks I've purchased David Ginn's books/dvds and am currently reading three Duane Laflin one's. I also have quite a collection of freebie routines from FCME and other websites.

Andy has done lots of others at Church. These are recorded on his blog, after a couple of days, http://www.gospelmagic4u.blogspot.com
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1772 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Mary Jane:

Here's a link to an article by Christian illusionist Andre' Kole. Perhaps you can make this pdf available to the church:

http://www.andrekoleministry.com/Magic_and_the_Bible.pdf

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Several years ago I put out a ministry newsletter and had the honor of getting and interview with Andre and he shared his thoughts on magic and christians. What a top notch man he is...
magicjy
View Profile
New user
Big Stone Gap, VA
61 Posts

Profile of magicjy
I want to make one comment about how everyone keeps saying I perform TRICKS. Please do not perform tricks...but entertain the audience and leave them with a powerfull message. Anyone can buy a magic store TRICK but it takes a pro to provide a professional program. Hope that makes sense!

Joseph Young
---
MAGIC is believing in yourself.
If you can do that, you can make anything happen. - Foka Gomez

Joseph Young
WWW.JOSEPHYOUNGMAGIC.COM
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
He is still alive..good to see you back Joseph
Mary Jane
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Mary Jane
Thanks guys - some very interesting thoughts there. And some good points and sources I can use when marketing our magic company to Christian audiences.
Dan Bernier
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2298 Posts

Profile of Dan Bernier
Quote:
On 2008-06-06 06:47, themagiciansapprentice wrote:
Hi Gospel Dan,
routines have included
1. Just Chance
2. King of Hearts
3. Eye of the Needle
4. Changing Bag
a) silks
b) rope
c) 3 silks
7. Compass
8. Thumb Tip
9. 3 ropes
10. Coloured envelopes
11. Rocky Raccoon
12. Rope through girl (trust in Jesus)
13. Bible Colouring Book
14. My favourite book is...Juggling (following instructions isn't enough, we have to have faith)
15. Shackled (released from sin when became a Christian)
16. Three rings (Trinity Sunday)
17. 20th Century Silks (Pentecost)
18. Ali Baba’s pom poms (all from differnt places, but joined by Christ)
19. Threaded plastic sleeves
20. Rat Trap
21. Magician's Choice - (real meaning of Christmas); (fantical about magic ( zealous about Christ)
22. Square Circle - (Easter Sunday service)

For other tricks I've purchased David Ginn's books/dvds and am currently reading three Duane Laflin one's. I also have quite a collection of freebie routines from FCME and other websites.

Andy has done lots of others at Church. These are recorded on his blog, after a couple of days, http://www.gospelmagic4u.blogspot.com

That's a very impressing list! Smile
"If you're going to walk in the rain, don't complain about getting wet!"
magicjy
View Profile
New user
Big Stone Gap, VA
61 Posts

Profile of magicjy
Yes Terry! Joseph Young Entertainment & Ministry is alive and doing very well. I will be presenting programs in five states (VA, TN, KY, WV, NC, DE) over the next couple of weeks. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I travel. Also, pray gas does not increase much more while I am on the road. ha!

Joseph Young
---
MAGIC is believing in yourself.
If you can do that, you can make anything happen. - Foka Gomez

Joseph Young
WWW.JOSEPHYOUNGMAGIC.COM
Mary Jane
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Mary Jane
Thanks for your views. They have been enlightening.
mrmagic9112
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of mrmagic9112
I perform a lot in churches and have run into the same questions. I explain from the start that what I do is illusions or as Duane Laflin states "Suprises For The Eyes". I saw Andre Kole a while back and he has a great line in his opening. "Everything I do up here on stage and eight year old child can do with twnty years of practice!" I also explain just like a christian lyric from a old hymn, can be changed to a contemporary song, the message and good news of Jesus Christ doesn't change but the way it is presented can be changed by using whatever means to reach people for Him!Such a a movie, drama, music, puppets and yes even illusions! That is why I do it! It is different and people enjoy the illusions as well as the message!
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
If they're not chasing you, why are you running. For 28 years I've been performing in churches and I can count on one hand the number of times I gave a disclaimer, and many of my clients would book me again and again till I was booked 2 years out.

I think maybe we make it an issue because we're trying to convince ourselves what we do is ok...The fact that the pastor had enough confidence in your ministry to invite you to the church should be signal enough to those who go there that it's okay. If they think that the pastor would bring someone in that is harmful then there's a much deeper problem than you doing the magic...they don't have confidence in their leaders...
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Sometimes it will depend on what you're doing. Boxes, bags, cards and coins usually go over okay, because people assume they are "tricked" or you have a "special skill". But get into their minds and they can go bonkers on you! I did a simple B'Wave and had the person pester me until I explained it - in her past she had been involved with witchcraft and, since she could not see the explanation for this, jumped to that as a possibility.

Then again, by the time you adjust every presentation to try to accomodate everyone who might possibly be in your audience, you may as well not do a show at all!! Isn't part of the drawing power supposed to be the element of mystery? And why do Christians of all people immediately assume that anything they can't explain away has to be the devil?

Ed
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
According to Richard Osterlind, the very fact that something can be explained makes it not a mystery. So if it's God that does something, or the devil that caused something, that's the explanation. The beauty of the art of magic is that it seems unexplainable...

I rather give individuals who might question me the explanation that every effect they could do if I taught them how to do it instead of making a blanket statement to my audience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Church fund raisers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL