The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A learning experience... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
581 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Greetings,

Next week I get the opportunity to have a bit of fun by being the sole mentalism lecture at a convention that is predominantly a close-up event.

On Monday night (June 9th), I get to do a lecture about bridging magic and mentalism at the Las Vegas Magic Invitational--and I am really looking forward to it. The reason that I mention it here is that I worked LVMI a couple of years ago, and I did a mentalism lecture that time as well. And to be honest, it was one of the greatest learning experiences of my life. Let me tell you why.

Even though I started out in magic (over four decades ago) as a sleight-of-hand guy, I have obviously changed directions quite a bit over time. My performances changed, my creative process changed, and my style certainly changed. In truth, my entire thought process has changed.

But, as all of that change was occurring, I also began to unknowingly develop blind spots as well. Although much of my time is still spent consulting for numerous types of non-mentalists, my own work has certainly become much more focused on one specific area. And while strong focus can definitely be a good thing, it can also be detrimental in some other ways. However, I did not fully realize that until I lectured at LVMI.

During that specific session, I suddenly became aware that a number of the attendees were seeing methods, construction, and subtleties that were very foreign to them--and it was exciting for them (and for me). But also during the lecture, I unexpectedly became aware that the reverse would certainly be true and many of their ideas would be foreign to me as well--and I quickly became excited at the notion that there are so many more tools that I could be utilizing as a creator/performer. (Now, this is something that I knew intellectually, but it hit me on a gut level at LVMI, and that is when I honestly understood it.)

That lecture brought some great new friends into my life, and it helped to erase some of the blind spots that had unknowingly formed over the years--and I am really looking forward to going back to LVMI again.

So, with all of that said, my suggestion to you is to do what you can to recognize your own blind spots, and begin taking notice of what else is out there. By doing so, you will open some wonderful new doors of creativity.

And if any of you will be in Vegas next week, give me a yell.

Keep the change,
Rick
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Thanks for the advice Rick.

Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A learning experience... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL