We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The social impact of naming effects alluding to illegal drugs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Amiable
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Amiable
In "Latest and Greatest", I see that there is a lot of interest in going back and forth about whether Darius naming his effects CANNIBIS and CRYSTAL METHod are acceptable behaviour. I also feel that I'm not the only person who wish that thread to focus on the effect and not its name. Hence I've taken the liberty to create a separate topic for those who want to carry on that thread of discussion.

Here's to a meaningful and civil discussion!
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1947 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Well, I for one think it's important to be really interested in other peoples actions and morality. Especially if it doesn't effect you in any direct way.

It takes the focus off of our own behavior.

Down with other people naming things stuff we might find offensive!

I have a new effect called "Crack cocaine hooker heroione devil worship". That name will really effect you all personally, because Jebus might not like you anymore.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 21:12, Josh Riel wrote:
Well, I for one think it's important to be really interested in other peoples actions and morality. Especially if it doesn't effect you in any direct way.

Of course, there are always those indirect ways...
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 21:04, Amiable wrote:
In "Latest and Greatest", I see that there is a lot of interest in going back and forth about whether Darius naming his effects CANNIBIS and CRYSTAL METHod are acceptable behaviour. I also feel that I'm not the only person who wish that thread to focus on the effect and not its name. Hence I've taken the liberty to create a separate topic for those who want to carry on that thread of discussion.

Here's to a meaningful and civil discussion!

Just something about doing that that doesn't quite sit right with my spirit.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27087 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Such does nothing for my opinion of the person offering the product. IMHO branding a thing via direct link to a linguistic taboo shows respect for neither the customer or the market in which their product will be discussed.

One can get about the same result of "cool" by using "in jokes" which require a level or two of decoding before getting to supposedly taboo content.

Then again around here lots of wannabes are eager to get their hands on a box of jerry's nuggets so...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Even if these are good effects, the names have been off-putting enough for me to ignore them.

Now! Where's my Scotch and Soda?!?
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
In the 70's Zig-Zags were popular.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
If you wanted counseling would you seek help from a TheRAPIST? If you wanted to learn about feet how bout consulting the PediFILES?
No matter what you're trying to accomplish with your wording, the name CRYSTAL METHod appears as though you are touting a substance that HAS destroyed many many lives and has become a plague in America (I'm not aware of the statistics else where)!

I personally have been clean and sober for over 21 years and in my process of recovery I have seen thousands of lives destroyed by drugs and alcohol but NOTHING as vicious as Meth, NOTHING!

I have seen the topic for this product many times but never clicked on the link because I thought no matter how cool the effect, I would not support such a thing. I saw this topic and have since gone back and read the posts. I found it unsettling that anyone would try to defend the name of this trick by down playing the effects of meth and I found some of the arguments absurd!

Just my feelings on the matter and I will not buy this trick or support it's creator on any past or future offerings!

Mick
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
This is similar to Hollywood making R rated movies, when all evidence show PG and G movies make more money at the box office. It make me wonder what their motivation is for doing it.

He has the right to name his effects anything he wants, I support his right to do so, but I have the right, not to buy them.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2008-06-04 23:03, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
In the 70's Zig-Zags were popular.

Your picture, the ZIG-ZAG Man, coincidence? Smile
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
OMG Josh IS the ZigZag man! LMAO!
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Doesn't bother me in the least. Provocative names are meant to get people to talk about them; in doing so Darius will get short term attention. Chances are the product in question cannot stand on it's own.
POOF!
ziatabari
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of ziatabari
THe name is very linked to the method..It makes full sense when you check it out!

All will be revealed in next months Genii ;-)

Destroying lives?? Lighten up guys, if anyone links a pack of cards to a death causing drug, they need their brain examined..
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Magic does have a strong legacy of alcoholic degeneracy. These effect names are just keeping in spirit with Vernon, Jennings et al.

I eagerly await a bold new generation of magic that doesn't just limit itself to cigars and brandy but embraces a whole new realm of mind-altering substances, truly bringing magic in to the modern era.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
504 Posts

Profile of Corey K
I can honestly say that I have seen how popular the thread is, but have not checked it out because I think the name is pretty much garbage.

Maybe this is a bad example, but they tried marketing an energy drink called, simply, Cocaine. That didn't last.

Magic is marketed to all magicians, young and old. I don't think kids should be seeing magic effects named after popular street drugs. Not cool, in my opinion.
ziatabari
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of ziatabari
''Chances are the product in question cannot stand on it's own.''

With Angelo Carbone, Steve Della, James Brown and other hot shots on the DVD!

Think again...
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2008-06-05 08:41, ziatabari wrote:
THe name is very linked to the method..It makes full sense when you check it out!

All will be revealed in next months Genii ;-)

Destroying lives?? Lighten up guys, if anyone links a pack of cards to a death causing drug, they need their brain examined..

I don't see evidence that anyone who disagrees with you needs their brain examined. I do see evidence that you need to learn some humility.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Personally, it is an instant turn-off for me. I don't look beyond the name, and my wallet remains closed.

Tony
Lee_Hathaway
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Lee_Hathaway
First of all could I clarify the CANNABIS effect was created by Daniel Young and myself. CRYSTAL METHod was created by Darius, with ideas from myself, James Brown, Dan Young, Neil Henry, Steve Dela and Angelo Carbone. Both are produced by mine and Neils' company - Magic Cave.

I like the names of our effects and I stand by them.

CANNABIS is an acronym standing for "Card At Named Number Amongst Blanks Is Selected"

Crystal Method, as some have apeculated relates to the method of the effect.

I find some of the comments from people a little over the top. Naturally we do not advocate use of illegal substances and are fully aware of the dangers of such. Likewise if parents and the system have educated their kids well so should they be.

My personal opinion is that the naming of a magic trick is not going to have any negative impact on drug abuse. If anything, those attacking us and blaming us for all of society's woes are missing the point. Naming our effects in this way is an affront to censorship. Censorship with drug use does not work - it should be discussed and brought out into the open. Sweeping it under the carpet, pretending if we don't use the "words" then it doesn't exist - this doesn't actually aid a reduction in the number of people abusing dangerous drugs.

If we really want a better, drug-free society for future generation then education and knowledge are key. The more information you give to people to make informed and educated decisions about their life the more likely they are to avoid drugs. Simply saying "it's bad" or "we don't talk about that in this house" is no good. Holland, where Cannabis is practically legal and drug use is openly discussed actually has a far smaller rate of serious drug abuse than the US or UK.

We absolutely categorically do not advocate use of these substances. Infact some of the profits from The Cannabis Effect were donated to a drug rehabilitation project. However, if naming them this way opens up discussions such as this one and makes people think and become aware rather than being blind to the problem then I feel it's a good thing.

There is a big problem in the UK at the moment with knife crime. Likewise, the USA's lax gun laws and subsequent gun misuse is well documented and publicised. Why is nobody attacking effects named "Killer Elite Pro", "Smash'n'Stab" etc etc...
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Well, since you chose to follow my post with your comments, let me say something further: The names you have chosen are shock names, chosen to make the products stand out by the name, and the emotional reaction caused by it. It may be clever in how you adapt the name to the effect, but it is a two edged ploy. Some will see it and like the concept or not be bothered by it. Others will see it and be turned off. It is a choice you made in naming it, it is something you will have to accept.

I’ve said nothing about the actual products as I don’t have them, and don’t want them.

Tony Iacoviello
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The social impact of naming effects alluding to illegal drugs (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL