The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Great gag line from Joshua Jay's Talk About Tricks column (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jocdoc
View Profile
Inner circle
Carlsbad, CA
1181 Posts

Profile of jocdoc
David Forrest laid out a beautiful and very funny gag in the description of "Clipper Coins" (Magic, June 2008). He uses this to introduce a lighter into the routine:

"Forget fad diets, folks. Have you seen the very latest in weight-loss technology? Here it is!"

[Show cigarette lighter and rub it with your thumb.]

"That's right! All you have to do is rub it a bit, and you feel a littler lighter!"

--
I haven't gotten groans as deep as these in a while (and I throw out a lot of groaners).

jeff in san diego
Life is an improv. The game goes on...
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
I love it! But I am a sucker for any pun - especially a groaner like that one.
Eric Lott
View Profile
New user
Michigan
85 Posts

Profile of Eric Lott
David Acer posted a trick on his website a few years back called Lighter, Then Air. It was really funny and would go well with this line. I'll see if I can find a link. I have video footage of me performing it if anyone's interested.
David Acer
View Profile
V.I.P.
176 Posts

Profile of David Acer
Hi Folks,

"Lighter, Then Air" was up on my website a few years ago, but just for the record, it's actually a trick by Rick Bronson (I posted it as a sample from Seven by Rick Bronson, a small book I wrote in 2003). And Eric, I would love to see the video of you performing it (I video-taped Rick doing it at the holding bar of his comedy club in Edmonton for my next road DVD, but I have no idea when that will come out).
If you liked whatever your favorite book is, you'll love More Power To You
jocdoc
View Profile
Inner circle
Carlsbad, CA
1181 Posts

Profile of jocdoc
The other "lighter" gag that I use is an old two parter:

Palming a tiny black nun, I'll ask spectator to hold out a hand palm up and visualize a pile of invisible coins resting in their palm. I ask them "If I were to remove all of the coins from your hand and place them into my hand [at the same time, I 'invisibly' place the nun into my open hand and close it up into a fist] how many coins did you see me put into my hand - with your eyes?" When they respond 'none' you open your hand to reveal the nun.

Then I ask them to hold out both of their hands (palms up). Into one I place the nun and the other, the lighter (one with some weight to it). I ask them which is heavier and when they indicate the one holding the lighter I correct them by stating "no, that's the lighter!" (as I flick it open...)

And, thus I end on a lighter note....

jeff in san diego

p.s.

Nice seeing you at the Niagara Comedy Magic Seminar, David. It was a great meeting. I've got a picture of you in my magic scrapbook from the conference (see link below)
Life is an improv. The game goes on...
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
Great stuff.

Jeff, there is a lighter that looks like a stack of quarters. This might have some use for your gag.

Richard S
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Great gag line from Joshua Jay's Talk About Tricks column (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL