The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Beginners Chop Chop Cup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Fumblethumb
View Profile
New user
Amarillo, TX
25 Posts

Profile of Mr. Fumblethumb
My first close-up magic experience was when a priest (probably best he remains anonamous) pulled out a set of color changing knives and worked me over with them. I CONFESS; it drove me nuts how he did it. I finally bought a cheap set of knives to find out.

Even with the gimmick in hand, I could not understand how he stirred my brain up so well. So I bought the "Merril Knife Book". It was like turning on a light in a cave (Even a dim bulb is impressive in total darkness. It's relativity you know.)

I have made myself a chop cup based on information found here, Magicref, The Cups and Balls Museum and other sites. It works better than I had ever hoped. I am very impressed with it (Insert open-mouthed-guppy avatar here.)

Sadly, a home built chop cup doesn't come with instructions. Is there a "best" Chop Chop Cup learning guide for beginners? And I do mean BEGINNER.
When I vanished the knife at the end, the lady said;"You just made my day." And she had just made mine.
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Ron Bauer's booklet on the Don Alan chop cup routine would be a very good, inexpensive place to start.
Scott
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
matt kemp
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
312 Posts

Profile of matt kemp
I second Ron Bauer's booklet, and if you want a DVD go with this:

http://theambitiouscard.com/details.cfm?id=8608

It's the World's Greatest Magic DVD on chop cups. I found it very useful. Ron Bauer's booklet goes over the loading subtleties better than the WGM DVD.

Posted: Jun 5, 2008 9:11pm
I should add that both the sources I gave you are perfect for beginners. You can design your own chop cup routine that is free of sleights (unless you count the final loads as sleights).
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1535 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Dan Tong's routine on his DVD is a fantastic routine to learn.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Mr. Fumblethumb
View Profile
New user
Amarillo, TX
25 Posts

Is the WGM DVD have any instruction or is it a compilation of performances? Performances help, but I need insight.
When I vanished the knife at the end, the lady said;"You just made my day." And she had just made mine.
Mr. Fumblethumb
View Profile
New user
Amarillo, TX
25 Posts

I find a chop cup routine listed on his "Finally" Vol. 2. Is this the DVD you are refering to Rick?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
The WGM DVD does indeed have instructions. The "Finally" DVD is the one with Dan's Chop Cup routine in it. With those two, and the Bauer booklet, you'll have enough to keep you busy a long, long time.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you have the Mark Wilson course, check it out. Hard to beat the Ron Wilson/Larry Jennings routine. Simple and has great misdirection for final load.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mr. Fumblethumb
View Profile
New user
Amarillo, TX
25 Posts

I have the Ron Wilson CCIM book. Is that what you are refering to Pete? I am working on the cups and balls routine in that book. But have seen on Chop Cup routine.

Don
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/full/Magic-T......3157.htm

Here is a cheap (price) but great source that I began with back in the day...BTW there is no Chop Cup routine in the book Pete mentions.
Cardamagically,
Dom.
:) Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24272 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Actually, Mark Wilson did put out a separate volume on the Chop Cup that is a classic.

However, I recommend for ANYONE who does the chop cup to begin with the Don Alan routine. The old Magic, Inc. book was good, but the new book from Ron Bauer is much better, It has info that was left out of the Don Alan biographical book that Jon Racherbaumer edited.

Once you have mastered the Don Alan routine, then go for the Wilson-Jennings routine.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mr. Fumblethumb
View Profile
New user
Amarillo, TX
25 Posts

Pete:
I went to Mark Wilsons web site. He doesn't have anything listing the chop cup in the description of the products currently available. Either I just missed it or it is not currently available there. If you can think of the title of the book or video, I will try to find it used. I have a friend who thinks very highly of Mark Wilson and Mark seems to have a very good rep. in the Café.

Bill:
I have seen the Ron Bauer book mentioned before but was uncertain if it was suitable for the magicaly challenged. Thanks for your recommendation.

Matt:
Thanks for pointing our the Ron Baure book on Don Alans routine. While looking up the WGM Chop Cup DVD, I ran across another DVD that lists performances by most of the performers mentioned above. Do you, or anyone else, have expeience with "The Classic Chop Cup – Teach In Series (DVD)"?

Thanks to all;
Don
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
OK, here is my real thoughts. Don't read anything. Take the cup and start doing things with it... invent possibilities, play and try various approaches.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24272 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-06-06 19:00, Mr. Fumblethumb wrote:
Pete:
I went to Mark Wilsons web site. He doesn't have anything listing the chop cup in the description of the products currently available. Either I just missed it or it is not currently available there. If you can think of the title of the book or video, I will try to find it used. I have a friend who thinks very highly of Mark Wilson and Mark seems to have a very good rep. in the Café.

The Mark Wilson Chop Cup book is no longer in print, but it shows up on eBay. The print run on this book was not very large.

Quote:

Bill:
I have seen the Ron Bauer book mentioned before but was uncertain if it was suitable for the magicaly challenged. Thanks for your recommendation.

Most of Ron Bauer's material is suitable for people who are unsure of their skills. Most people I know in magic are far more capable of doing decent work than they give themselves credit for. I was actually afraid of doing anything that involved any kind of sleight of hand at all until I learned two routines. One was the Don Alan chop cup routine, which uses minimal sleight of hand. The other was Eddie Joseph's "Shattering Coins," which uses a very subtle move to vanish 10 loose English Pennies. Once I performed that routine for the local magic club, I knew I could do sleight of hand.

It is nothing to be afraid of. Just learn one thing at a time. Don't try to learn all of the sleights everyone in your vicinity knows. Learn one sleight and learn a routine that uses it. Then practice the routine until it is as natural as breathing.

Practice until it becomes boring -- then practice until it becomes beautiful

Nothing will give you the necessary self-confidence but actually fooling people.

Quote:

Do you, or anyone else, have expeience with "The Classic Chop Cup – Teach In Series (DVD)"?

Yes, it's a good DVD, but you don't need it yet. Learn some basic simple material first.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1535 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Quote:
On 2008-06-05 22:03, Mr. Fumblethumb wrote:
I find a chop cup routine listed on his "Finally" Vol. 2. Is this the DVD you are refering to Rick?

That's it. Great routine by a long-time working pro...very well thought out.

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Mad Mage
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Mad Mage
Okay so my comment is a little late for this discussion. I like "The World's Greatest Magic" Series. There is one on the Chop Cup that feature several varitions with explanations. David Regal has a very interesting chop cup routine. I agree with playing with it until you are bored and then until it becomes beautiful.

Once you become accustom to the chop cup, you may try Cups and Balls with a chop cup thrown in.

Gazzo has a great CnB routine.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Beginners Chop Chop Cup (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL