The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » The Quest by Frank Velasco? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24306 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes. Check the review section. It has been thoroughly discussed...and cussed.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Here is Jheff's review from his site http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com:
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2043 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Jheff's reviews are usually bang on the money but for me he is way off the mark with this one.

Cassidy used the concept first, Marc Paul did an extremely similar release. This is a rip-off of both ideas.
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
David Numen

I have to humbly disagree with you, Sir....

It believe that the Quest is NOT a ripoff at all...Jheff is very good at spotting rip-offs and he did not mention a thing in his review at all.

I have had many others review "The Quest" and have never stated that it was a rip off. Very few effects in Magic today are truly discovered. Yes, it has some similiarities but the Quest's handling is much more advanced and detailed. Marc's instructions are one page while the Quest's instructions provides 13 pages of detail and NEW handlings that Marc Paul's version does not even touch or mention.

I sent one to Marc Paul and agree that the two effects are similar in some ways but are different in their handlings. The construction of the deck is similiar but I use a different set-up than the Marc Paul version. I was unaware of Marc's version and fully credited him in the manuscript as well as many others.

Thanks
FV
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Thanks for the help
:)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24306 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I would recommend that you purchase the manuscript only. When I got my copy, I discovered that the "special deck" was one that had been on the market for decades under another name. I had it in a box here at home.

I also came up with a completely different method for doing this that requires no special deck, minimal sleight of hand, if any, no stooges.

However, it's not for sale at any price. Most people couldn't carry it off.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2043 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
On 2008-06-08 11:35, Slydini62 wrote:
David Numen

I have to humbly disagree with you, Sir....

It believe that the Quest is NOT a ripoff at all...Jheff is very good at spotting rip-offs and he did not mention a thing in his review at all.

I have had many others review "The Quest" and have never stated that it was a rip off. Very few effects in Magic today are truly discovered. Yes, it has some similiarities but the Quest's handling is much more advanced and detailed. Marc's instructions are one page while the Quest's instructions provides 13 pages of detail and NEW handlings that Marc Paul's version does not even touch or mention.

I sent one to Marc Paul and agree that the two effects are similar in some ways but are different in their handlings. The construction of the deck is similiar but I use a different set-up than the Marc Paul version. I was unaware of Marc's version and fully credited him in the manuscript as well as many others.

Thanks
FV

Well, you are entitled to your beliefs but that doesn't mean they are right!

As for not being reviewed as a rip-of...ermm, yes it has been here on the Café.

As for crediting Marc Paul, all well and good but that was ONLY done after people on the Café called it a rip-off. On the copy I bought there's certainly no credit to Paul.

IMHO whilst the set-up does vary from the Cassidy and Paul premise it's not really that big a difference as to be a release in it's own right.
marcpaul
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of marcpaul
Slydni62,

You say that you sent me this trick. If you did I never received it. You also have never even contacted me with regard to this effect. I am easily accessible through my website or even just a search of "Marc Paul" on google and yet you have never attempted any correspondence. If you have indeed taken my effect further all well and good. I'm certainly not precious about my ideas but I would have appreciated an email at least.

For anyone who is interested I have streamlined my handling of the effect and it is written up in the last addition of Magicseen as part of a large article all about ACAAN.

All the best

Marc Paul
magicandsoul
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of magicandsoul
Thank you Marc Paul! Your post is by far more valuable and insightful than any review. I'm looking forward to the article.

M&S

Quote:
On 2008-06-09 04:33, marcpaul wrote:
Slydni62,

You say that you sent me this trick. If you did I never received it. You also have never even contacted me with regard to this effect. I am easily accessible through my website or even just a search of "Marc Paul" on google and yet you have never attempted any correspondence. If you have indeed taken my effect further all well and good. I'm certainly not precious about my ideas but I would have appreciated an email at least.

For anyone who is interested I have streamlined my handling of the effect and it is written up in the last addition of Magicseen as part of a large article all about ACAAN.

All the best

Marc Paul

Just want to make sure this is appropriately bumped for those who missed this.

M&S
R. Dunn
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of R. Dunn
More drama.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi Marc Paul
Not everybody gets Magicseen but I'm sure everybody on this thread would like to
read about any new/reworked/streamlined ACAAN. Can you post any details?
:)
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
R. Dunn

There is no drama here...so please go stir trouble elsewhere in another thread...

Others...

I have corresponded and exchanged personal emails with Marc by email. I have asked him to post here any comments and I welcome his experience and input regarding the Quest.

From our email exchange, I'm confident that you will be suprised by his response to "The Quest". Remember that I have FULLY credited Marc Paul with his effect Affected in the manuscript once I was aware of his effect.

Thanks
Frank
obijuan
View Profile
Loyal user
New Lenox
242 Posts

Profile of obijuan
We should all credit Berglas, he's the man who started it all. Maybe you should send a copy to Max Maven and see what he says. He is a crediting whiz.
marcpaul
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of marcpaul
Update...

Frank has indeed emailed me a copy of The Quest. He has credited me in the text so I'm happy.

You should be aware that the basic method behind The Quest is the same as my Affected by Berglas BUT Frank does have some different ideas about doing the adjustments. We had a health discussion about the ins and outs of the effect and as one would expect each of us thinks that our version is better. Without going into details of how the effects work I think that it would be fair to say that The Quest is easier, but Affected by Berglas is cleaner. Frank uses a sublety where I use sleight of hand, but Frank's sublety introduces another prop that I feel slightly clouds the effect, but you may disagree and if you do then The Quest gets the job done. I hope that helps you to make a more informed decision.

All the best

Marc
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12060 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Its nice to see things turn out like this. Usually they don't.
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Marc

Thanks for your post. I highly respect your opinion. I encourge anyone interested in the ACAAN plot that you should purchase Marc Paul's Affected. I appreciate Marc's input and help. Both effects are worthy of purchase to have in one's study of the ACAAN plot.

Regards,
Frank V.
monello74
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of monello74
Excuse me, I don't unaderstand the meant of gaffed??? A gaffed deck for me is an irregular deck, where a regular deck is 52 card different with no manipulation. If in a deck we have 2 Ace of Clubs this deck for me is gaffed!!!!
ACAAN with gaffed deck for me is a trick for children!!!
It's a Miracle...

For ACAAN/OP effects:
(Mental Magic)
http://sites.google.com/site/m2mmagictrick
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4638 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Quote:
On 2008-06-13 07:10, obijuan wrote:
We should all credit Berglas, he's the man who started it all. Maybe you should send a copy to Max Maven and see what he says. He is a crediting whiz.

Started what all? If I hear this guys named credited with the creation of this effect again, I swear to g-d I'll freak out.

It's old son. Old old. Before ANYONE alive was born old.

Hoffman has methods. Erdnase has methods. Roterberg has methods. Berglas may have popularized it, but even that's up for debate.

As far as gaff or not gaff deck question- I consider it a gaff deck. Let me put it this way- it's a deck you are only going to use for this trick... and another very famous one.

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » The Quest by Frank Velasco? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL